Should I sell my '02 7.3 for a new '13 6.7? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I sell my '02 7.3 for a new '13 6.7?

I'm looking to sell my '02 F-350 7.3 CCLB 4x4 for a new '13 F-250 SCLB 4x4.
Should I?
I'd like to hear your opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hell yes
I get 19-20 MPG HWY.
Great ride quality.
Really cool creature comforts.
They look great.

Down side, they cost a lot and back to a payment.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post
Hell yes
I get 19-20 MPG HWY.
Great ride quality.
Really cool creature comforts.
They look great.

Down side, they cost a lot and back to a payment.

+1

And very true
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM

My '02 Lariat had lots of options back then but now I can get the same options and then some on a well equipped XL. Will I see much of a mileage increase loaded up? I have a 2000lb slide in pop up camper, and I tow my wrangler while getting 14mpg and a 525 mile range. My father in law can get me A plan EP and I can order it any way I want and get any other finance/credit insentives Ford offers on top of that. Should I just put the $3000 for PMCS into my '02 and be happy with my no problems truck?
What drive train differences are there between the 250/350. How are they compaired to my 10.5/D60 setup on my '02?

Last edited by eldogo; 10-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
depends on if you really want to get another payment.....

if it were me i would say no....
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM

I had an 02 F350 7.3 cclb, sold it and bought and 11 F350 ccsb. So far i absolutely love it. My 02 was a lariat so it was pretty well equipped, the new one is a lariat ultimate package nav sync sunroof all the goodies and it is night and day difference. Sync and hands free is awesome. Rapid heat cab heater is also a big plus. Fuel economy is great. My 7.3 would cruise 70mph at 2000rpm with the 4r100 and 3.73, the 6.7 with the 6 speed and 3.55s cruises 70 at 1650rpm. My 7.3 was chipped, intake, turbo back but the stock 6.7 would blow it away and you can listen to the radio or talk to others in the truck without talking over the motor. Now yes my $550 a month payment sucks but it is what is, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'd say just keep your 7.3 stroker and buy a 6.7! Have two monsters with you.. 7.3's are pretty beast! My dad has always had one and is still rollin coal on it here and there, with no problems whatsoever
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

i would absolutely keep the 7.3! i had a 2012 f350, for a couple months.... it broke down 5 times b4 the first oil change, yes, 5 times, before 7000 miles.... and ford ultimately bought it back, but not without a lawyer.. i went back to the 7.3 that i loved before... and still love it. and furthermore, my uncle's 2002 f350, stock with a superchips tuner beat the new one 0-60.... just my.02... i'll never sell this 7.3, EVER! i can do whatever i want to it, no cat, no dpf bs to deal with... the 2012 f350 lariat cclb 4x4 sticker price was 63k... and got 14.3 mpg..... i paid 17k for this 2001 350 cclb lifted lariat with a built tranny, immaculately clean, in and out, put 10 in the motor with a turbo, injectors, vlave springs, pushrods, hpop, fuel system.. etc, and now it will surely beat a new 6.7, and gets 23mpg, yes, 23 mpg, and i'm still not in it for half the cost of a new one......lmao... and that mileage is NOT hwy, the nearest hwy is 2 hours away, on nothing but windy up and down hills roads, which is where i'm getting that 23 mpg.... no bull****!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM

I love my truck and it runs great but I need to make a few repairs in the near future. Ball joints(I want Dynatrac), all new steering linkage and ends(Moog), trans & diff fluids. And how much longer will my 4R100 last. It's got 133k miles and I'm unsure how the previous 2 owners treated it. It's possible that in the next 1-1.5 years it could need
$6-7k in repairs... If I buy a moderately equipped XL on employee purchase and current incentives I'd spend $500-550 a month and could spread the payments out and not have to tighten my belt for a whole year with credit card payments for repairs... On the down side there is the 60-72 months of big payments!

How much more maintanance costs are involved in the 6.7? We prob drive about 12k a year on our truck now and all I put into it is a fuel filter every 3k and 6k on oil changes. What does the DEF cost, how often? Anything else?

I'm not looking for increaced power #'s and massive upgrades. I'm looking for reliability.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogo View Post
I love my truck and it runs great but I need to make a few repairs in the near future. Ball joints(I want Dynatrac), all new steering linkage and ends(Moog), trans & diff fluids. And how much longer will my 4R100 last. It's got 133k miles and I'm unsure how the previous 2 owners treated it. It's possible that in the next 1-1.5 years it could need
$6-7k in repairs... If I buy a moderately equipped XL on employee purchase and current incentives I'd spend $500-550 a month and could spread the payments out and not have to tighten my belt for a whole year with credit card payments for repairs... On the down side there is the 60-72 months of big payments!

How much more maintanance costs are involved in the 6.7? We prob drive about 12k a year on our truck now and all I put into it is a fuel filter every 3k and 6k on oil changes. What does the DEF cost, how often? Anything else?

I'm not looking for increaced power #'s and massive upgrades. I'm looking for reliability.
when i made the mistake of trading in my 99 f250, it had 164000 miles on it, 110000 of which i put on it, and i beat the hell out of that truck like no other i've ever owned... i was still on the stock tranny, no signs of any problem with it, and i towed alot too.... i only got rid of it, reluctantly, because the salt air out here on the coast, had been dripping off of the lumber rack on the same spot on the cab, for 6+ years, and it had cancer, and was leaking water into the cab... so i traded it in... and ended up b!tching about how much i missed it until i finally got this '01 that i',m driving now... the 7.3 is the toughest truck out there.. the new ones will never compare, as my 2012 63k lariat was a complete P.O.S.! look at the 6.7 problems forum..... tons of guys with probs, and 99% of them, ford can't fix... they have no idea what is wrong!!! literally no clue. i would be very afraid of a 6.7 if i were you... alot of people have trouble free ones... but alot have probs too... my mother has a 2011 f250 ccsb, no probs yet, 22k on the clock, and loves it, but time will tell. after my own horrible experience with one, i won't buy new again... i love my 7.3.... and no payment!! keeping your 7.3 on the road cost far less then buying a new one man.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.