6.4 VS. 6.7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 VS. 6.7

I CURRENTLY HAVE A 2009 F-250 CC SHORT BED WITH THE 6.4 ENGINE. I WAS THINKING ABOUT TRADING IT IN TO GET THE NEW 6.7 ENGINE. I WOULD LIKE TO GET BETTER FUEL MILEAGE AND I HEARD THE 6.7 WAS BETTER. I WOULD LIKE YOUR INPUT TO HELP ME MAKE A DECISION ON IF I SHOULD TRADE IN THE 6.4 FOR THE 6.7. I WAS ALSO WONDERING WHAT THE BEST GEAR RATIO FOR THE REAR END IN THE 6.7 WOULD BE THE BEST FOR FUEL MILAGE BUT ALSO GOOD FOR TOWING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnmachine View Post
I CURRENTLY HAVE A 2009 F-250 CC SHORT BED WITH THE 6.4 ENGINE. I WAS THINKING ABOUT TRADING IT IN TO GET THE NEW 6.7 ENGINE. I WOULD LIKE TO GET BETTER FUEL MILEAGE AND I HEARD THE 6.7 WAS BETTER. I WOULD LIKE YOUR INPUT TO HELP ME MAKE A DECISION ON IF I SHOULD TRADE IN THE 6.4 FOR THE 6.7. I WAS ALSO WONDERING WHAT THE BEST GEAR RATIO FOR THE REAR END IN THE 6.7 WOULD BE THE BEST FOR FUEL MILAGE BUT ALSO GOOD FOR TOWING.
Is your 6.4 tuned/deleted? The 6.4s get decent milage once you delete the dpf.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd stick with the 6.4 for now. Wait until the 6.7 has some better tuning and starts putting down some serious numbers before you jump ship on the 6.4...oh yeah, stop shouting!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 PM

I love this 6.7L
Old 09-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
What numbers are you getting with your 6.4? I went from a head cracked 6.0 to an awesome 6.7! Unless you make a huge jump in engines like I did I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet. I drive both my 6.7 and a 6.4 at work, not much of a difference although my 6.7 tows like a dream while the 6.4 hauls like a dead dog.
If you're into trading up to keep a warranty, go for the 6.7. Depending on your mileage now, I'm getting 16.7mpg highway with just a CAI, and whether you want to tune and DPF delete, it's basically personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwrstroke7 View Post
oh yeah, stop shouting!
LOL!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:03 PM

The 6.7 is a lot more refined than the 6.4. It's road manners are way better. It drives and rides a lot better than a 6.4. I also like how Ford offers an extended service plan on the new trucks. Believe this program rolled out in 2012. You basically pay for a maintenance package upfront and then you get "free" maintenance for however long you bought the ESP package for. Stock for stock, the 6.7 will get better fuel mileage. However, it will take a lot of driving/fuel to pay for the difference in price between the 6.4 and the 6.7. If you like all the toys and bells and whistles, the 6.7's interior has a nice EVIC display.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 AM

just throwing my 2 cents in i went from 2010 f-150 last year of the 5.4 to the 6.7 and let me tell u i do just as well in fuel mileage plus i love the power it makes me smile every time i drive it. I don't know much about the 6.4 never heard great things on it but a lot of guys love to throw down with the new motor ford made
Old 09-29-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I would personally hold off until next spring.
First, the deleted 6.4L is a better engine in every way possible, but they do not make it anymore. It's history. Nuff said there.

The 13' MY run is a short one, and one that will end next June as the 14'MY will start building in July. Order banks open in March.
With Ram stepping up power and interior, and GM launching a next gen truck, I suspect there are big changes coming in a few short months. I'm ordering a 14' as soon as I can.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 6.4 is currently stock. Should I get the spartan system and delete the dpf. I pulled a heavy landscape trailer the other day and it felt like a dog towing it. I had a 6.0 that towed great. I had the banks big hoss bundle on that truck. I never had any problems with it. I think I might test drive the 6.7 to see the difference. I average 12 mpg with the 6.4.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
My 6.4 is currently stock. Should I get the spartan system and delete the dpf. I pulled a heavy landscape trailer the other day and it felt like a dog towing it. I had a 6.0 that towed great. I had the banks big hoss bundle on that truck. I never had any problems with it. I think I might test drive the 6.7 to see the difference. I average 12 mpg with the 6.4.
Spartan or hs you can't go wrong. Do some reading on both to see which one will fit your needs best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.