Icon adjustable track bar- knocking noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Icon adjustable track bar- knocking noise

Anybody have this? I get a "knock" when I turn slightly left (not right) and when going slow over bumps.
Anybody with some insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't think that its the track bar. I would check out your ball joints maybe the ones that you replaced with the new cams need tightening or one was installed backwards. Also check out the ball joint at the bottom of the track bar. Recheck the torque.
This is out of the Icon install manual:

Install new alignment cam: Make sure arrow is pointing toward the front of the truck and the flat end of the cam is aligned with the flat end of the knuckle. Use the old sleeve to tap the new one down onto the taper. Install nut and torque to 69 ft*lb. Install cotter pin.

Jack the axle up 2-3 from full droop. Make sure not to jack the vehicle off of the stands!!! Install the pan rod bar taper end first. Adjust the turnbuckle to length making sure both thread have equal engagement and install in upper end with factory bolt. Torque the upper bolt to 369 ft-lb. Torque the lower to 150 ft-lb.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM

If you have the single damper check it to. If it is loose it could make noise as well. It is gas charged and is always putting pressure in one direction. So if you turn your wheel it could pop do to the opposing force.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM

I had an after market track bar on my Dodge and it was a worn out heim joint making that noise. It would do it when turning sise to side. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and put your hand on the heim joint.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM

It was the heim joint on the trac bar......ICON would not warranty it even though it was less than 2 months old- said it wasn't tightened to their specs----total BS. Their solution was to purchase the new spherical bearing rod end which tells me that they know that their design with the poly bushings are a POS yet they still advertise and sell this. I thought I had read enough about this issue but apparently not. The moral of the story is either don't by ICON as they suck IMHO on warranty issues or pay more for the trac bar with the metal bearing. I have attached a picture of the end that I had to replace- the one on the top is with the poly bushing and the one on the bottom is the new metal bearing one. I suppose it is my fault for not realizing the poly bushing would not be enough for the powerstroke but you would think ICON would know to take it off the market as I can't be the only one who has had this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Icon adjustable track bar- knocking noise-2012-10-049508-24-0895441.jpg  

Last edited by Jointasset; 10-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM

This is good to know. I got 35k on my icon track bar with the rubber bushing and still going good. But when it goes out I'll be upgrading!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Jointasset;3280456]It was the heim joint on the trac bar......ICON would not warranty it even though it was less than 2 months old- said it wasn't tightened to their specs----total BS. Their solution was to purchase the new spherical bearing rod end which tells me that they know that their design with the poly bushings are a POS yet they still advertise and sell this. I thought I had read enough about this issue but apparently not. The moral of the story is either don't by ICON as they suck IMHO on warranty issues or pay more for the trac bar with the metal bearing. I have attached a picture of the end that I had to replace- the one on the top is with the poly bushing and the one on the bottom is the new metal bearing one. I suppose it is my fault for not realizing the poly bushing would not be enough for the powerstroke but you would think ICON would know to take it off the market as I can't be the only one who has had this issue.[/]

That's weird the bushing doesn't look that bad. I run the hyme join but that bushing still looks in good condition.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM

I have attached pictures of the old bushing from the side and top. As you can see the metal sleeve is suspended in the bushing......the bushing isn't worn but it seems as it can't support the bumps/steering without have some compression which I guess gives the knocking sound. My previous picture has the new sleeve surrounded by a metal bearing which I guess can withstand the pounding/weight that these trucks are subjected to. The sad part is that ICON said it was knocking because we didn't tighten it enough (416 ft/lbs)--total BS as it is clearly a lesser design and they know it based on their upgrade suggestion- guess these things are an annuity for them.
After seeing the difference it would make no sense to buy the trac bar with the rubber bushing....its cheaper and now I know why. Just a little more knowledge for those thinking about making the ICON purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Icon adjustable track bar- knocking noise-rubberbushing1.jpg   Icon adjustable track bar- knocking noise-rubberbushing2.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Well if that worked for you great. But I do know that there are thousands of those bushing style joints out there. The factory Ford bar use them as well. Before I bought mine I called the factory and I talked to the head engineer about the joint. This was due to talking to a few friends who said it would transfer too much noise in the truck. I was told by the engineer that on the 2008 - 2010 trucks that this was the case. But on the 2011 trucks tested that there was no noise transfer from the bearing style. I was told on the 2011 truck that either style would work great it was just a matter of how much money I wanted to spend. I do think bearing style is a better design personally. That said I still don't know why you were getting a knocking sound when you turn in one direction unless it was possibly loose. Was the sleeve the same width as the opening in the pan bar mount. Or were there washers or spacers missing? Anyway it's good that you got it fixed and the bearing style is much better so good luck.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM

any update on if the metal bearing worked out for you better than the rubber bushing?

I have the metal one on my truck and its super sloppy and worn out (no clue how long its been on the truck, bought it with it in it) but was just wondering about the longevity. Looks like im going with the 64032 (upgrade end kit) to replace my previously upgraded one but was just seeing how it worked out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.