H&S Black Max & voided warranty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&S Black Max & voided warranty

So I know this topic has been pounded and pounded over and over but I haven't found a definite answer. Been looking for a used 11 or 12 6.7 truck. Found one that I am extremely interested in but it used to have a H&S black max on it.

My question is if this warranty is definitely VOIDED? I just don't want to have 45k + tied up in a truck that has no remaining factory warranty. Also the factory warranty on the motor is good for 5yr/100k correct?

Any input would be greatly appreciated !!! Also if any of you have a 6.7 lariat thats never had any mods on it I'm still in the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The warranty on the engine (turbo, injectors, ECT), powertrain (tranny, differential, ECT), and Emmisions ( dpf, cat, ect) are void if the truck has been tuned. Ford scans your computer for a CEL (?) flag.

The best thing you could do for yourself is take it to a ford dealership before you buy it and show/ask them.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked to the owner of XX Diesel and he said all you have to do is unplug it! Could be BS but he seemed like a pretty straight shooter. He also said that he had all the same computers the dealers had and he could not tell if a tuner had been on a truck once it was taken off.....yes I know he was trying to sell me something. Like i said he wasnt very pushy. Talk to a service writer that isnt FOS!!

Last edited by blake505; 09-26-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It red flags the ECM. That guy that said he had all the same computers and software is full of chit. Ford doesn't sell their IDS software to everyone and if you can buy it-it is very expensive. He probably uses AE.

I have talked to many service writers and techs when I worked in the dealerships and they have all said that the programmer flags the ECM when it reprograms it and that's how they can tell.

My suggestion is to take the potential truck to the dealer you plan on taking it to for service and have them look it over and explain to them the situation and see what they tell you warranty wise. Either way get it in writing from the dealer that they will honor the warranty if you take it to them for service. Either that or buy one thats never been programmed.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 AM

As far as the techs being able to find out if your truck has been programmed or not, from what i was told. They can tell by how many times your truck goes into regan. Not for sure if that is correct, but before i deleted and tuned mine, it would go into regan like every so often, now it doesnt at all. So that could be one way for the dealer to see if it has been programmed or not.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

The simple truth is yes they can tell something has been done with the trucks computer, but if the truck has been put back to stock, they can't say with absolute certainty that it had a tuner on it. It's not like it tells them a black maxx tuner was uswed on the truck. My suggetion is put thetruck back to stock, drive it until it completes 1 regen cycle then take it in. They will see right away that it has gone through a regen, which they know tuners delete, and they will probably not give it another thought. Keep in mind though if you bring it in with a blown motor or some other huge expensive repair that seems out of the ordinary, they will probanly dig a lot deeper which they should since Ford shouldn't have to pay to fix a truck that somebody put a tuner on then screwed up and wants a free repair job so they can go out and do it again. If it is not tuner related then ford should cover it.
One other thing, if you are using your stock exhaust tail pipe with a tuner, make sure you clean the soot out of the tps. Kinda hard to say you haven't been using a tuner when there is black soot in your exhaust.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Take it to the dealer and have them flash to computer to updated software and it should get rid of the "red flags"
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
So I know this topic has been pounded and pounded over and over but I haven't found a definite answer. Been looking for a used 11 or 12 6.7 truck. Found one that I am extremely interested in but it used to have a H&S black max on it.

My question is if this warranty is definitely VOIDED? I just don't want to have 45k + tied up in a truck that has no remaining factory warranty. Also the factory warranty on the motor is good for 5yr/100k correct?

Any input would be greatly appreciated !!! Also if any of you have a 6.7 lariat thats never had any mods on it I'm still in the market.
------------------------------------------

If the prior owner took it to a dealer while the tuner was installed it could be flagged already. Get the VIN number of the truck and have a friendly tech run the Oasis report for the truck. That will show the warranty status as well as dealer repair actions. I think some techs on this site may run the Oasis for you if you get the VIN #.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keel056 View Post
Take it to the dealer and have them flash to computer to updated software and it should get rid of the "red flags"
Does this really work??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys!

Think I'm just going to pass on the truck. Not really big on taking any risk. Found another truck I like anyway, just have to find time to get off this dang drilling rig and go drive it. Hopefully i'll be driving a 6.7 soon!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.