Odometer reading off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odometer reading off

So, I bought my truck used, with larger than factory tires on it, and now I'm confused.

I noticed when driving to Dallas in my (stock) BMW that the mileage was 248. When I drove the truck a couple weeks ago, the mileage was 221 (yes, same route... . This caused me to call into question my odometer reading, and also my fuel economy. If this is true, my odometer reading is low, and the fuel economy I'm showing is also low (at least using the in-dash computer, not by calculating by hand). The strange thing is that the speedometer is correct, at least according to driving next to my brother, and the LED speed things on the road.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone know how the mileage and speed are computed into the dash? I would have thought it would be axle ratio/tranny ratios, etc, computed from a preprogrammed tire size, which would be fine if the speedo was also off... Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bump. Any help?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It all works out to how many revolutions your tires make in a mile. The system just counts how many times the drive shaft (or wherever it's monitoring) turns, then calculates how far you've traveled. Taller tires will show less mileage than actual (you travel farther for each revolution), shorter tires will show more mileage than actual.

Dealers can reprogram the system to accommodate the different tire revs per mile, I'm sure other shops with programmers could too. Tire specs for each brand/size will list the revs per mile.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Diamond View Post
It all works out to how many revolutions your tires make in a mile. The system just counts how many times the drive shaft (or wherever it's monitoring) turns, then calculates how far you've traveled. Taller tires will show less mileage than actual (you travel farther for each revolution), shorter tires will show more mileage than actual.

Dealers can reprogram the system to accommodate the different tire revs per mile, I'm sure other shops with programmers could too. Tire specs for each brand/size will list the revs per mile.
Right. But that doesn't explain why the speedometer is correct, but the odometer/fuel economy are not.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good point. I would have thought they are tied together but being electronic, they don't have to be. I know my speedometer is off by a few miles an hour, slow (compared to a GPS). Have never verified actual odometer distance (yet), but I do get the sensation it's not real accurate and the mileage calcs aren't right. I just did a ~750 mile trip, first part it calced just over 21.5 MPG and I went~425 miles before I refilled. After refill it calced barely 20, but was almost empty after 330 miles. I didn't pay attention as much as I should have on the fill-up but I know it was way more than the 16-1/2 gallons that that would have calculated out to (I think I also figured out why that station was so much cheaper than others in town)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.