6.7 and the 6.4 in stock form - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 and the 6.4 in stock form

I have an 08 250 that is primarily a tow vehicle. I bought it used with 15k miles on it and it now has 30k miles. It has had two injectors, a radiator, and a bed plate replaced in 15k miles all under warranty. We have recently been pondering the idea of getting rid of the current extended cab truck to for a crew cab since my son is getting a little bit bigger. My real question I guess is I know all about the 6.4 and the issues it can have, and I was getting ready to delete/tune it because the warranty is up. Now I am thinking about gettting a new 2012 6.7. In stock form is there noticeable power gain over the 6.4? How is the fuel mileage compared to the 6.4? And lastly how does this regen process work, and is it just a detrimental to the engine as the way the 6.4 does. Does this engine make oil also? Any info on this engine compared to the 6.4 would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The 6.4 does have a host of problems but most stem from the egr and dpf systems. it is a BEAST waiting to prove its true potential. my suggestion is soak some money into the 6.4 and drive it til it dies! lol

the 6.7 (if comparing stock to stock) is way more ballsy to drive and has a slightly nicer interior. the trans is also a six speed and the fuel mileage is significantly better. it seems as tho the new 6.7 is not very mod friendly and doesnt have the potential at this time to make big power. as far as issues in stock form i have only seen turbo failures really.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Stock to stock the 6.7 is way better IMHO. Better mileage, more power and less problems. Now a tuned 6.4, totally different story. I consistently get 18 mpg out of my 6.7 where I was only getting 14-15 out of my 6.4 stock. I don't plan on tuning my 6.7 because I really don't see much advantage.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertc82 View Post
Stock to stock the 6.7 is way better IMHO. Better mileage, more power and less problems. Now a tuned 6.4, totally different story. I consistently get 18 mpg out of my 6.7 where I was only getting 14-15 out of my 6.4 stock. I don't plan on tuning my 6.7 because I really don't see much advantage.
Ideally I would like to not have to tune anything. My TT weighs right under 10,000 lbs and my stock 6.4 tows it just fine. If I could get a little ore power by going to the 6.7 thats an added bonus. My warranty is running out and with the luck I have had I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the 6.7. I just wish they had been out a little longer so I could get more feedback on reliablity. That crew cab is really enticing too. I loved my super crew F-150. The extended cab is tight
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 AM

There's some good deals on 2012's now. I'm really enjoying mine but only have 2,500 miles so far. Mpg's are good Hwy 20 MPG (3.31's) if you keep your foot out of it. 800 ft lbs of torque is nice and the six speed is a plus as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOTIE View Post
The 6.4 does have a host of problems but most stem from the egr and dpf systems. it is a BEAST waiting to prove its true potential. my suggestion is soak some money into the 6.4 and drive it til it dies! lol

the 6.7 (if comparing stock to stock) is way more ballsy to drive and has a slightly nicer interior. the trans is also a six speed and the fuel mileage is significantly better. it seems as tho the new 6.7 is not very mod friendly and doesnt have the potential at this time to make big power. as far as issues in stock form i have only seen turbo failures really.
what do you mean when you say its not as mod friendly? warantee wise or reliability wise?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 6.4L got 11 MPG on the highway in stock form, blew the headgaskets, leaked from the front and rear main seals, blew up 2 A/C compressors, 1 condenser, 1 evaporator and scratched 3 windows. All of this in less than 36,000 miles and before it got tuned.

My 6.7 can gets 15-16 MPG on the highway unloaded and gets about 10-11 with a 8k trailer on the back. I would take a lot of mileage claims on this site with a grain of salt. The 6.7 feels a lot stronger towing. I have not noticed it making oil like I did with the 6.4. Having owned both, the 6.7 is a far superior engine for guys who use their trucks. For hot rodding, the 6.4 has a lot more potential to be fast.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 AM

Ok dum question what is making oil mean.
Is it good or bad?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Combustion blow by of unburnt fuel entering the crankcase oil. All engines do it to a degree some do it more! Not really a good thing.
It would be nice if they made diesel fuel LOL.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitsno View Post
Ok dum question what is making oil mean.
Is it good or bad?
Regen'ing the DPF requires extra injections of diesel on the exhaust stroke and the fuel washes down the cylinder walls to the crank case. If you regen a lot you could gain an extra gallon of diesel in your case in 3k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.