how reliable is the new 6.7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how reliable is the new 6.7

just wondering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Reliable for the vast majority of owners. Of course, you're in a public forum so you're likely to see more doom and gloom. The main areas for motor failure are broken valves and turbos from what I have gathered in perusing various sites.

Just leaf through the forums and you'll get an idea of what people like and dislike.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Consumer Reports rated the 2011 6.7 SD the highest vs Dodge and GMC. I like to watch the forums b/c it gives me an idea of what problems do exist, and there is also a lot of great information, pictures, and helpful information and upgrade info.

I think this truck will prove very reliable. For all the people that say they are scared of them, just go look at any other forum. I jumped on the Duramax forum this week and you see all sorts of posts about issues. Do I think that's the norm? Nope. Same goes for Ram and ATV forums. People often hit forums for problem resolutions, so I think they are skewed. And, it's easy for 2 people with issues to have a ton of posts and lots of activity.

I have 7100 miles on mine and just love it. I came from a line of Toyotas which are very reliable. When I wanted diesel, I wanted IMO the best...and I ended up with the SD.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 PM

I am a 2012 6.7 L owner, and I did comb through the Duramax and Dodge too, and I do not see that many major issues with them, but their motors have been out for years. This new motor seems to have a few valve issues, maybe some turbo issues, and black coolant issues. Ford is doing good with this motor so far from what I have read.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also love my truck and want to look out for potential problems.
I bought a 2012 ram cummins last month and was so unhappy with it I traded it in and bought my 2012 f250 crew short bed 4x4 i took a loss but it was so worth it to be happy. its a night and day difference more power, much smoother trans, way better ride and wayyyyy better fuel econ.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The usual issues are, turbo failures, dropping valves and weak rods. I've seen all three fail in stock and modified applications so it has nothing to do with changes you make performance wise or not, the issue is already there from the moment it left the assembly line. Now I will say it seems to be hit or miss, not sure why that is though. But if you own one of these trucks they have a very sensitive fuel system so do your self a favor and drain the water separator once a month like clock work if you like not having issues there. Water in fuel is a big concern on these and the new Duramaxes, the CP4 is highly sensitive to even trace amounts.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

119,000 miles... tuned for 23,000.... emissions deleted primarily for engine longevity. Very comfortable regarding relability... This truck is a job 1, the tranny solenoid pack was replaced under warranty, I believe this is comparable to the 7.3. I had 340,000 on it and this truck reminds me of it in the fact that it just works, runs, no issues...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Rich how is the truck after deletes, MPG, Driveability smoothness,oil stay cleaner, power Ect?

At what mileage was the trans warrantied?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post
Rich how is the truck after deletes, MPG, Driveability smoothness,oil stay cleaner, power Ect?

Thanks
curious about this myself??
Old 09-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post

Thanks
Oil looks like new, after 7,000 miles the synthetic is dark, compared to being black right after oil change stock.

Driveability after deletes no different, more power... I run HOT on the H&S, with defuel levels set at 1200 egts, which is low, but safe for me.

Transmission pack warrantied around 23,000. The tranny about every 1600-2000 miles would 'miss' a shift, free wheel then dump the power into gear!! Like dumping the clutch resulting in tires barking. Ford changed out tranny solenoid pack, no other issues.

Mileage...My tires are not the greatest for mileage, BF Goodrich AT...and it
depends on my driving, I have driven around town, babied it and have gotten 19-21 over 3-4 hours driving. I get 17-19 consistently on 65-74 mph on highway. I pull a 16k fifth wheel often and at 60-65 get 11-12+, at 70 and greater it drops to 9.5-10.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.