Pyro probe and gauge pod question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pyro probe and gauge pod question

Hey y'all, just got my 2011 lariat 250 about a week ago. Had to finally sell the 6.0 that's in my sig cause I had it for 7 years and loved it but it was time for a change. Man I couldn't be happier with this new motor and interior! I was wanting to put an isspro pyrometer in the A-pillar with a single mount but was told that I have to do an egr delete by 3 different shops to get the probe on the manifold as its up in the engine valley and there is no room. Is this in fact the only way to do it? I know the CPU has probes at the dpf filter but that won't give me an accurate reading. Also does anyone know if anybody makes a single gauge mount for the A-pillar. I hate the look of the edge insight or I'd go that route. Thanks for all the good info I get browsing this forum guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

It's not a 'bolt on' but it would be very easy to remove the main EGR pipe, drill a hole and TIG the fitting onto it. Reinstall and you have your probe location. Since the EGT probe kits usually come with a fitting the cost would be just getting a welder to TIG it on. I'll bet it would be less than $25.
Re-drill the hole once it's TIG'd, install the EGT probe and reinstall the pipe.
EZ

Last edited by TrickTruck; 09-13-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check out kem the make a kit to do it without doing an egr delete

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Thanks guys, ill definitely check KEM out. Its still hard to find parts for these things, being so new and all. Thats a problem I can deal with tho ha. so much to learn....
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 AM

The Edge Insight rocks plus you can set it up for up to 8 readings at one time. Trust me it is nice to see all the things that Ford does not show you. Like regen, Def fluid level, Batt voltage and real boost. There are four temp probes one is just post turbo. There is a number that you can add to that if you really need to know the pre turbo temp. For the most part if your running that close to melt down you would not be running the EGR. For 99% of us post temp is all you need. And you can add probes and other sensors to the acc port as well.

Last edited by vlxjim; 09-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Wow, I had no idea that you could tap into dpf levels and all the different pyro probes. That's pretty rad. You may just have changed my mind, does the smaller insight do this as well? I think it's the cts insight
Old 09-13-2012, 03:27 PM

I have the KEM kit if you are interested in it. Was on the truck 3000 miles at most. Shoot me a PM

This will give you manifold EGT's which most say are the more accurate temps

Last edited by 31 YNOT; 09-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Mine is the CTS the smaller one is the CS. Both show the same PID's. The CTS just has a bigger screen as well as its a touch screen. Both can use the same accessories but the CS does not do back up cam or video. You can see just what the ECU of the truck sees. Here is a list of PID's for the 11-12 F250-350's:

Ambient Air Temp, Accel Pedal Position, Barometric Pressure, Battery Voltage, Corrected Speed, Dist. Between Regens, Dist. Since DTC Clear, Dist. Since Regen, DPF Pressure, DPF Soot Mass, DTC Count, EGT Post DPF, EGT Pre DPF, EGT Post Turbo, EGT Post SCR/Pre DPF, Engine Coolant Temp, Engine Load, Engine Oil Temp, Engine RPM, Engine Run Time, Fuel Level, Fuel Rate, Gear with Reverse, Gear with TCL, Intake Air Temp, Manifold Abs Pressure, Mileage Coach, MPG Instant, MPG Average, Nox PPM, Regeneration Status, Reductant (Urea) Level, Time 0-60, Time 1/4 mile, Torque, Torque Solenoid Pressure, Trans Temp, Turbo Boost

Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Well I'll be go to hell, I knew the 6.7 had a ton of parameters that the CPU watched but I didn't know mission control was in the dash ha. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna look at some mounting options for the CS I think
Old 09-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The only reading for EGT to worry about is the pre turbo EGT anything after the turbo is not of a concern, doesn't do you any good and has no point to caring about it. I get asked this question all the time and its a common misconception that you can read EGT from the exhaust any where. You want to know the temp before the turbo, thats where if things get to hot damage can occur ( turbo, pistons, valves, head and so on ). On the 6.7 if your up for it you can drill and tap the inboard exhaust manifolds but its the hard way around it. You can do a full egr delete and it will have a pre drilled and tapped plate with it for a probe, or you can do a budget kit that has just the plates or do as suggested earlier by having a 1/8" NPT bung welded into the egr supply pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.