A couple of questions...... Mostly about fuel and oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A couple of questions...... Mostly about fuel and oil

Has anybody ran one of these things to E?

I have a 2012 F350 xlt F "X" 4 off road package.

At first i thought that I had only a 20 gallon tank, I would drive until My digital read out would say i could only drive another 30 miles or so, and I would only be able to get 20 gallons in. I looked into it today and was informed that I have a 26 gallon tank. if this is so, than it seems to me that when I am near E, I actually have 4 to six gallons left. Does this make sense to any of you? Has anybody experienced the same thing? It's close to empty and you can only get 20 gallons in? In my old truck, and 04, I used to be able to get between 24 and 26 in, and then get an additional 4 to 6 gallons in buy going really slow and waiting for the bubbles to go down. I would do this on long trips for the extra mileage. With this new truck, I've only ever been able to get in about an extra 1-1/2 to 2 gallons after the pump stops the first time.

How often are you changing your fuel filters?

Is anybody putting any additives in their trucks? Do we need it?

Has anybody changed their fuel tanks to one of the 50 gallon tanks from Titan? Any problems with that? How much was the install? I am thinking of having it done at a ford dealer so it can be warranted.

What are you guys putting in your truck for oil? is rotella 15w 40 still the preferred oil?

Should I get my first oil change early, to get out all the impurities form when the engine was machined?

is 7500 miles a good distance for an oil change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have heard the fuel reads empty when infact there is still approx. 4-5 gallons left. I never let mine get near E so I don't have first hand knowledge. Un-like other diesels I've had the fuel fills much easier at the pump, just one more click and she's full (nice).
The 26 Gal tank is fine for me because I need a toilet break by then anyhow (gettin old).

I will be changing fuel filters at about 10,000 miles and oil every 5,000 miles with Shell Rotella 10-30 T5 semi synthetic unless I plan on some heavy towing, then it will be the T6 5-40 synthetic.

I'm only at 2,000 miles now and haven't decided whether or not to change the factory fill earlier then 5,000 or not. Just make sure to order your Fumoto quick drain valve prior to your first oil change, makes things so much easier!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM

I'm only at 2200 miles, but I love it so far! One bad *** truck!

How do you like it?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Yeah same here, np problems so far. I'm really happy with the fuel mileage compared to my previous diesels! I can't weight to hitch up a trailer soon and put down some torque!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM

I just changed my oil for the first time - 7100 miles and oil minder came on today. Went with Rotella T6 5w40 because winter is coming and I will be idling more at warmups...that and I have a short 7 mile commute. Based on the manual, they recommend the 5w40 for these situations. I did purchase the motorcraft filter.

So, I have the metal oil pan. No problem. I have watched the oil change procedure on you tube. Thought I had my oil catch pan far enough out...let the oil rip...nope...oil on the floor! LOL! Learning lesson for next time. Easy change other than that. Put in 13 qts of oil...everything is good.

I am sending my first change out to Blackstone for analysis. I've never done that before, but I am interested in knowing about it. I guess I've got $25 burning a hole in my pocket.

As far as fuel filters, the manual says either 10K or 15K miles....I think 15K. So, I will do them by myself as well.

I have the larger fuel tank....and the truck computer is cautious about refueling. I have put 35 gallons in it...and it definitely said it was time!

Good luck. You will love it.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM

I was going cross country when I bought my truck. long story but I ended up getting a new truck in Salt lake, and had it hooked up to my fifth wheel and hauling with only 61 miles on it. I went from SLC to San Jose Virgin Voyage towing my fith wheel no problem. The breaking system while in tow haul is top notch. I got 11, 12 towing if I wasnt getting on it. I got 14 miles per hour over all form Reno to San Jose. Most of it was down hill and I only went 55 in cali because of the towinig laws.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbostonirishx View Post
I'm only at 2200 miles, but I love it so far! One bad *** truck!

How do you like it?
I have a one week old F350 XLT Prem Pkge, Camper / Tow Pkg CC Long Box and IM really liking the first fill up with 18.5 average includes mix of city & highway. IM breaking the bad boy in before I haul my 36 Ft Montana 5th Wheel. Ford Service Manager says get at least 1,000 miles before I hook it up. I love my new F350, hope it's as great as my 97 7.3.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 PM

Ucpa111 I thought the manual recommends 10-30 for regular use and light towing. 5-40 for severe use and heavy towing and 15-40 for use with biodiesel? On my oil fill cap it says 10-30 recommended.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbostonirishx View Post
Has anybody ran one of these things to E?

I have a 2012 F350 xlt F "X" 4 off road package.

How often are you changing your fuel filters?

Is anybody putting any additives in their trucks? Do we need it?

Has anybody changed their fuel tanks to one of the 50 gallon tanks from Titan? Any problems with that? How much was the install? I am thinking of having it done at a ford dealer so it can be warranted.

What are you guys putting in your truck for oil? is rotella 15w 40 still the preferred oil?

Should I get my first oil change early, to get out all the impurities form when the engine was machined?

is 7500 miles a good distance for an oil change?
I currently have 42500 miles on my 2011. I change the oil every 5k and using 10/30 (preferred oil per manual) since I do not tow more than 1000 miles between oil changes. I do not use synthetic since I change so frequently and am not interested in extended service intervals. Fuel filters get changed every 10k ( book says every 22.5k) and the air filters every 20k. I use opti lube summer & winter additive for lubrication and cetane increase. I will be changing the coolant at 60k and having a 4x4 service at 50k ( change tranny fluid, transfer case, front and rear diff). Yes I realize that this is early as compared to the book, but this is the schedule I am comfortable with.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 AM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I did my first oil change at 2k miles my self using motorcraft 15w-40 then took it in for my free oil change at 5k miles. I do this with all my trucks when I first get them. Fuel filters get changed every other oil changed so 10k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.