2012 Shock Upgrade? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Shock Upgrade?

Okay so I'm not a big suspension modification kind of person but I got my 2012 SRW last month and I absolutely HATE this thing over bumps. I have an FX4, but for an offroading package this is the stiffest suspension I have ever felt. Will upgrading my shocks help the ride? I was thinking Bilsteins but I was hoping for something more cost effective, I don't want to have to spend $1,200 on a $60k truck it should be perfect. I have a tuff country front leveling kit I never used on my '05 with gas shocks and I was wondering if they're any good and should I buy leafs for the back to level it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 03:51 PM

Shocks

I was in the same boat. Went with a 2" coil level, 5100 bilsteins all the way around, and a bilstein 5100 steering damper. Rides a lot better than stock for sure. Sucked doing at 350 miles on my truck but it was worth every penney. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

level

what kinda coils did you use
Old 09-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Emergency Services

I found bilsteins for really good prices. $85 apiece on summit racing and another $85 for the stabilizer. What particular coils to go with to raise it? I doubt the tuff country kit now is any good. I want to try calling summit and see if they'll offer me a package deal for a full leveling kit and the bilsteins.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Remember that those shocks are sold for stock or 2" lift. So if your doing the lift make sure that you get the right shocks. You don't want to do the lift level and use shock spacers. That being said the right way to do it would be to do a spring lift level (replacing the stock springs with 2.5" longer, progressive rate springs) Doing it this way you get a true 50% increase in travel. The stock travel is a pathetic 5". With the new springs 7.5" of travel. Icon or Top Gun have progressive rate springs.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlxjim View Post
Remember that those shocks are sold for stock or 2" lift. So if your doing the lift make sure that you get the right shocks. You don't want to do the lift level and use shock spacers. That being said the right way to do it would be to do a spring lift level (replacing the stock springs with 2.5" longer, progressive rate springs) Doing it this way you get a true 50% increase in travel. The stock travel is a pathetic 5". With the new springs 7.5" of travel. Icon or Top Gun have progressive rate springs.
So you're saying to use different parts for leveling it? What about the rear? Just an add a leaf kit?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM

I'm just saying progressive rate springs are much better than the coil spacer. Now the coil spacer cost less but whats a few hundred more to do it right. With the F350 you can leave the rear as is or use a 4" or 5" rear block. Or you can add a 1" spacer with the stock blocks.

ICON 2005 - Current Ford Super Duty 2.5" Stage 1 System - 62500

ICON 191200 - 1" Billet Aluminum Lift Block Kit

ICON 194275 4" Fabricated Blocks w/ Built in Bump Stop

2.5" 2011+ Ford SuperDuty F250/F350 Diesel Lift Coil Springs

Last edited by vlxjim; 09-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Emergency Services

Thanks for putting up with all the questions lol. Just raising the front won't make the ride uneven in the rear? I'd probably only get the one inch blocks for the rear, or would air bags work if I'm pulling a 2 horse gooseneck? I'd want an adjustable ride height to keep the stance even while pulling as opposed to just during regular ride.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sorry for the newb question, but what are those collars for? I've noticed them in lots of kits, just never known what they do. Is it for the caster on the axle?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 AM

A lot of guys here as well as Icon run the front springs and leave the rear stock on the F350's. The F250 comes with 2" rear blocks and the F350 comes with 3.5' blocks. I run 4" blocks with stock leaf springs as most of the F250's here. Air bags are a very nice add on I'm thinking of adding them to my F250. Your ride should be better than stock. The guys on here as well as I all like the ride better. There are a few that have changed out the rear leaf spring with others an say its the best thing they ever did. And on these trucks you can't do to much about spring rates, you can go up, but for the most part you want just enough to handle the load rating of the truck. If you talk to the guys that tune and design the suspension for these 3/4 ton trucks. They all say were just trying to control 9000 lbs of trucks and theres not a lot to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.