What pressure are you running in your air bags? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What pressure are you running in your air bags?

I just put in my Firestone Air bags and Air-Lift 72000 pump today and I was curious what pressure everyone was running to give a nice ride while towing a fifth wheel? I'm towing about 13K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 5th is just slightly heavier, and I have a dually, but I run 35 lbs in mine just to give it a little stabilty and keep it all level.

Mark
Old 08-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I had my 2011 F250 I installed the same equipment you listed, RideRites and AirLift 7200 compressor. My fiver is pin heavy and I load it even heavier. It puts over 3000 on the truck. I experimented and found 55psi worked perfect for my set-up.

It is very easy to figure out. On a flat surface, paved if possible, measure the bumper height of your truck at both ends and record this. Hook up the trailer and remeasure it. If your front went down then the rear should end up the same distance lower as the front went.

Say the front measured 20 inches and the rear was 28 when empty. After hitching the trailer it measures 18.5 at the front you would air the bags to get the rear height up to 26.5 inches. The whole truck has dropped 1.5 inches but is sitting at the same angle as before - just lower.

I used the license plate on the front and the top of the bumper in the rear as my reference points.

Do this and you will know what pressure is best for your situation. The truck will drive the same and the headlights will be aimed correctly.

My F450 only drops 1.25 inch at the rear so I have done nothing to that suspension . I did lower the headlights a little.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
When I had my 2011 F250 I installed the same equipment you listed, RideRites and AirLift 7200 compressor. My fiver is pin heavy and I load it even heavier. It puts over 3000 on the truck. I experimented and found 55psi worked perfect for my set-up.

It is very easy to figure out. On a flat surface, paved if possible, measure the bumper height of your truck at both ends and record this. Hook up the trailer and remeasure it. If your front went down then the rear should end up the same distance lower as the front went.

Say the front measured 20 inches and the rear was 28 when empty. After hitching the trailer it measures 18.5 at the front you would air the bags to get the rear height up to 26.5 inches. The whole truck has dropped 1.5 inches but is sitting at the same angle as before - just lower.

I used the license plate on the front and the top of the bumper in the rear as my reference points.

Do this and you will know what pressure is best for your situation. The truck will drive the same and the headlights will be aimed correctly.

My F450 only drops 1.25 inch at the rear so I have done nothing to that suspension . I did lower the headlights a little.

I run 30-32 in mine. Since I dont have any paved roads within 2 miles of my house, the way I found my sweet spot was towing my 13.5K 5'er at night and just kept jacking up the bags until the on comming traffic stopped flashing thier bright lights at me.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well I put the bags to the test yesterday and all I can say is Wow! What a difference that made. Made everything so much smoother. No more jerking on the truck from the 5er. I ended up at 45psi for most of the trip. Thx for all of the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.