Convince me to trade my 7.3L in for a 6.7L... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Convince me to trade my 7.3L in for a 6.7L...

I have the opportunity to trade in my beloved 7.3L Roll A-long and my 06' Cummins on a brand new F350 King Ranch 4x4 with no more than $15k out of pocket.

Is it worth it? Would be the last truck I owned. I was just going to keep my 7.3L and throw some money into her to make her totally *****in (backup camera, **** like that).

And I know and trust my 7.3L, so what makes a 6.7L better? THE NEW TRUCK IS AWESOME. There is no doubt, but I am iffy on the engine. Will it last me 500,000 miles? Or will it end up like the dreaded 6.0L?

Please convince me. I am torn on what to do. Keep 7.3L with 240k miles thats a beautiful truck, and I can put some money into it. Or go buy a brand new gorgeous truck, that I am unsure about on trusting the engine on......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am also iffy on things like a plastic oil pan, etc. Seems like they continue to cheap stuff out where it counts and you end up paying for goofy **** like power folding mirrors. Am I right or wrong? I would LOVE a new truck but am concerned with the longivity of the truck. Can I have it 25 years from now and it be in top running condition without spending a ton of $$$?? The 7.3L will, so will these?

Also concerned with buying a model thats already a year old. Ehh..? Help.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I sold by 2002 F350-7.3 and bought a 2011 6.7 F350. I have 56,700 trouble free miles on it so far. As much as I loved by 7.3, it simply could not perform like the 6.7 does. It is not only the dramatic difference in power, but the 6 speed auto vs. the 4 speed auto in terms of towing. The new truck is quiet, strong and reliable.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've got a 2011 for sale right now....Lariat Ultimate, not a KR....

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/tru...timate-nc.html

Just sayin......
Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 AM

I went from a trouble free 6.0 to a 2012 6.7 and I am incredibly pleased with my decision. I actually trusted my 6.0 99%, and I'm building a fast trust with the 6.7. It's really a night and day difference from the 6.0, and I can only imagine what it's like compared to a 7.3
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Emergency Services

I went from a used 6.0 with a cracked head, blown gaskets (due to a tow tune I never put there without being studded), brand new glow plugs that needed to be replaced, an air leak on my turbo up-pipe and wayyy too much front end work to a used 2012 6.7 with 13,000 miles on it. This may be a biased opinion, I've driven 7.3s at work and hands down I will say the 6.7 every day of the week. I love the performance of this thing, it has performance comparable to my Challenger SRT8. It's absolutely unbelievable! The only thing that I don't like is how quiet it is. As many problems as my 6.0 had I loved it with a straight pipe but I'm worried about my warranty with a straight pipe and tuner.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went from a Tundra to a 6.7 SD. So, I am very quality conscious and if you research you'll find information showing that the 6.7 has the highest ratings amongst diesels. I've been around 7.3s my entire life as my Dad has had them (for his construction company and his personal 5th wheel hauler). They are great. But, I am pretty sure he loves my truck. He spent big bucks on his horse hauler to make it pull like a freight train. And yet, it's nowhere near as refined as my 6.7.

So...will it last 500,000? Well, I think the electronics will go before the engine. I bought a lariat with bells and whistles and those areas are historically problematic over time. But, I wanted heated/cooled seats and power this n that. If you want fewer issues and 500,000 miles...buy a base model. Skip the power this n that. But, that's no fun! Who wants to crank a window up (if they even offer that)? I have 6500 miles on mine. It's an awesome truck. It puts a big smile on my face. I just love the torque.
For $15K, you won't be upside down on the truck. You could always get off from under it if necessary (and ride a bike...I guess). But, at least you're not writing a big check each month or sweating it. I think too many people do buy more than they should afford....they sacrifice retirement savings for their ride....bad financial decision. But, anyone will tell you vehicles are not a good investment. More like a necessary evil...with great marketing to help us spend our money unwisely LOL!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:40 PM

I had 1st month 2000 with the 7.3L and put nearly 100,000 miles on that. Had a early 2003 6.0L and a 2006 6.0L that I put 108,000 miles on and now my 2011 6.7L that is now at 68,000 miles and doing great.

My 2011 truck has had fewer problems than ANY of the previous trucks. It is way more comfortable and has way better creature comforts. But like the post above, I'm sure the electronics will not last 10 + years. Navigation, power mirrors, windows, seats etc will all need some replacements over time.

I don't keep my trucks 10 years. 4-5 years is what plan and 150,000 miles. and so far I think this truck will do that just fine.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Would you like a new 6.7 you ask?? Drive one and you'll have the answer to your question..
As far as plastic oil pans and stuff like that I think thats the way to go in my opinion.. Metal doesn't stick around for years. It's possable maybe it could crack way down the road but Im willing to bet it will out last metal ones esecially if your in a area that used salt during the winter.

I've had a 7.3 and a 6.0 (Trouble free) before my newest 6.7 and I've seen a lot of good changes threw the years To be honist I had problems with my 7.3 and none with my 6.0 They both had around 80,000 when I traded them in.

One other thing I've noticed Its almost better to keep these trucks about 6 years then get a new one if you are able. At least they are worth about half the price you payed when you trade them in. If I would of waited another 5 years to trade in my 6.0 it wouldn't of been worth much and I would not been able to afford a new one. Or if you wait longer you Will have to start putting money into them to keep them going and we all know how much that can rack up fast. then before you know it you spent way too much on a truck that isn't worth anything now
Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And as far as plastic pans 12's and newer went to stamped steel on oil pan and diff cover. From what I have saw people talking about on this sit and looking at 12's on the lots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.