6" lift install...disaster so far - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6" lift install...disaster so far

Where to start. I ordered the 6" 4-link skyjacker lift and the procomp mx-6 shocks from 4 wheel parts. They shipped up to Alberta, Canada in about 2 weeks and dropped it off, no problems. I bring my truck to one of the main shops in Grande Prairie, called LBX. Owned by Ford. So the bonus with this shop is that anything they install the dealership will be very mod friendly. They also sell procomp lifts and shocks, as well as they can get skyjacker lifts, shocks, etc, but it's not something they carry all the time. I just went through 4 wheel parts because they said their cost was more than what I payed for the lift.

Yesterday
I drop my truck off at 7 am, and by 9 I get a call saying that I'm missing the brake line drop kit, the driveshaft spacer, and the shocks are not for fords. I looked through forums and searched online. I seen that Albertastroker has the same lift and he said in a post that he didn't need a driveshaft spacer. But I was like, this shop should know what they are talking about. So I phone 4 wheel parts and ask them and they say that the brake line drop kit and driveshaft spacer is not needed. And they said the shocks are right, does your shop know what they're doing?

So I phone them back and tell the, all this. It's now 5 pm and they say my truck is finished. So I get there and they didn't stack the block, so my truck had a 6" lift in the front and a 1 " lift in the back. They had the cheapest procomp shocks mounted because they couldn't figure out how to mount the mx-6 shocks...I told them to stack the blocks originally, I didn't understand where the miscommunication was. They couldn't figure out the shocks so they decided to charge me $400 for the new shocks and threw my mx-6 shocks in the back. I freak out on them and tell them to fix it.

Today
I get a call at 4pm saying my truck is finished! But my bill is like $2000. And I'm like what, explain this to me. Well they had to buy me a new block because the block skyjacker sent makes the rear end of the truck sit a little higher than the front so they decided not to use it and charged me $500 for new blocks to make the truck level. They still couldn't figure out the shocks so it was still $400 for them. Plus all the extra labour it's been. I freak out again. And get transferred to a manager.

He says hell fix this. He calls me back, says that they messed up with the blocks, and they will rip it apart again and do it right like it was supposed to be done. But...they cut the ubolts already and couldn't get new ones until tomorrow. He found the shocks do work and that he doesn't understand why the tech said they didn't. Also..they actually lost a bolt for the 4-link, so there is a radius arm on one side still and they are trying to find the bolt and the truck will not be done until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

He adds that he doesn't feel safe returning the truck to me without the driveline spacer because the driveshaft will just drop out of the truck without it. Is this true? As I said earlier I've seen people say its not needed for a single piece drive shaft.

Anyways that's my experience so far. Pics when it's done if it ever gets done. Oh side note: I use my truck for work and every day it's not on site I lose $400
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't let them turn another bolt on your truck! Is there a BBB in Canada? Is there any way you could finish installing the lift yourself?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonggo View Post
Where to start. I ordered the 6" 4-link skyjacker lift and the procomp mx-6 shocks from 4 wheel parts. They shipped up to Alberta, Canada in about 2 weeks and dropped it off, no problems. I bring my truck to one of the main shops in Grande Prairie, called LBX. Owned by Ford. So the bonus with this shop is that anything they install the dealership will be very mod friendly. They also sell procomp lifts and shocks, as well as they can get skyjacker lifts, shocks, etc, but it's not something they carry all the time. I just went through 4 wheel parts because they said their cost was more than what I payed for the lift.

Yesterday
I drop my truck off at 7 am, and by 9 I get a call saying that I'm missing the brake line drop kit, the driveshaft spacer, and the shocks are not for fords. I looked through forums and searched online. I seen that Albertastroker has the same lift and he said in a post that he didn't need a driveshaft spacer. But I was like, this shop should know what they are talking about. So I phone 4 wheel parts and ask them and they say that the brake line drop kit and driveshaft spacer is not needed. And they said the shocks are right, does your shop know what they're doing?

So I phone them back and tell the, all this. It's now 5 pm and they say my truck is finished. So I get there and they didn't stack the block, so my truck had a 6" lift in the front and a 1 " lift in the back. They had the cheapest procomp shocks mounted because they couldn't figure out how to mount the mx-6 shocks...I told them to stack the blocks originally, I didn't understand where the miscommunication was. They couldn't figure out the shocks so they decided to charge me $400 for the new shocks and threw my mx-6 shocks in the back. I freak out on them and tell them to fix it.

Today
I get a call at 4pm saying my truck is finished! But my bill is like $2000. And I'm like what, explain this to me. Well they had to buy me a new block because the block skyjacker sent makes the rear end of the truck sit a little higher than the front so they decided not to use it and charged me $500 for new blocks to make the truck level. They still couldn't figure out the shocks so it was still $400 for them. Plus all the extra labour it's been. I freak out again. And get transferred to a manager.

He says hell fix this. He calls me back, says that they messed up with the blocks, and they will rip it apart again and do it right like it was supposed to be done. But...they cut the ubolts already and couldn't get new ones until tomorrow. He found the shocks do work and that he doesn't understand why the tech said they didn't. Also..they actually lost a bolt for the 4-link, so there is a radius arm on one side still and they are trying to find the bolt and the truck will not be done until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

He adds that he doesn't feel safe returning the truck to me without the driveline spacer because the driveshaft will just drop out of the truck without it. Is this true? As I said earlier I've seen people say its not needed for a single piece drive shaft.

Anyways that's my experience so far. Pics when it's done if it ever gets done. Oh side note: I use my truck for work and every day it's not on site I lose $400
I would flip-my-sh!t big time! Mostly becuase they are trying to charge you for parts that were NOT part of the kit you got, and did NOT approve to be put on.

"Hey, I know you ordered the bacon cheese burger, but we think you will enjoy the lobster better, so we made that... It will be $40.."
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Yeah I told them that I'm not paying for the blocks. Or the shocks that are on now or the extra labor. And that if I seen any of this on the bill I'd be in contact with the BBB. I'd like to finish it myself but we are in the final stage of completing a gas plant and I don't have days off until Christmas. I work 7am to 7pm everyday so I can't even take my truck elsewhere. Such a headache!

Does anyone have any input on the driveline spacer? The less money I can give LBX the happier I'll be. It's LBX auto accessories in Grande Prairie, Alberta. Avoid them like the plague!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Nice looking truck. Sorry to hear about all the issues. I've found that trying to save money by buying stuff online from the US is negated by all the issues that can and usually will happen. At least, if the shop stocks the products, they usually have more than one unit on hand and can steal a part from another kit so you aren't forced to have any downtime. Also, they may have never sen a kit that you bought online so they may not install it correctly. Definitely sucks how we pay a premium for products here. I thought we were the 51st state! Thanks for the heads up about LBX.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM

I actually did want to go with a local shop. Another shop in town regularly stocks skyjacker lifts and installs. I showed them the price that 4 wheel parts gave me plus shipping, taxes, and brokerage fees. All this included it was half the price they would sell me the lift for. Again, another shop saying that cost was below their costs and there is no way they could match it.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonggo View Post
Does anyone have any input on the driveline spacer? The less money I can give LBX the happier I'll be. It's LBX auto accessories in Grande Prairie, Alberta. Avoid them like the plague!
The spacers for the driveshaft, from what I understand, depend on the vehicle. by putting a larger lift on, it puts the driveshaft on a stronger angle, and makes it work harder.
This is coming off of my 10 minutes of experience putting them on a dodge over the weekend. After doing the 6" lift, there was significant vibration, especially at take off, caused by the driveshaft being on a stronger angle, and having to work harder. We got a shim pack (i want to say less than $50) and installed them on the carrier bearing. We ended up using all 5 shims (2.5 of drop) and it rides smooooth now!

Actually, here is a video LOL
Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 AM

does GP have a national 4 wheel drive? thats who Ive always delt with in calgary and have always been satisfied thats too bad about LBX there commercials make them sound very good lol
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 AM

No national 4 wheel drive. In GP there are three big shops that everyone uses here. And everyone hates them. They all have bad reputations of bad customer service, price gouging and scabby workmanship. I mean the one shop that carries skyjacker wanted double the price of the lift over 4 wheel parts price. The problem in GP is there is so much oil money up here they don't care. They don't care if they piss people off because really there are only 3 shops here so unless you want to drive 4.5 hours to Edmonton, you'll be back. That someone else with money will come in anyway, so whatever.

I have gotten work done at LBX and another shop before and every time it's a headache. Such as forgetting to give me all the hardware for my headache rack. I went back in there and they said "I'd figure you'd be back, we seen we didn't give you all the bolts." Why wouldn't they call me? Also getting my HIDs installed they lost 3 of the 4 bolts to my headlight, as well as stripping one of those headlight bolt holes. I think it's just GP.

Luckily after this lift all I plan on doing is turbo back exhaust and chip, which there is a performance shop just out of town that I trust to do. But they focus on diesel drag racing, so they wouldn't do the lift, otherwise I would have brought it there.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 AM

thats really to bad with the amount of lifted trucks in the GP area thats there is not a shop who has their crap together. Hopefully they get it all sorted out for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.