Another Newbie with questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Peoples Republyk of Kalifornia
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Newbie with questions...

Hi all.. I am just about to pull the trigger and trade in my 2006 F250 6.0 Diesel SRW crew / 8' bed for a 2012 F250 XLT, FX4, SRW, 6.7 Diesel, Crew Cab, shortbed with 3.31`s.
I pull our 27', 11000 lb bumper pull toyhauler a few times a year.

I have some questions regarding the new Ford diesel. I am about to drop 50 G's on a new rig that I don't have yet, so I don't have a owners manual. So please keep your flaming down regarding "Just read the manual" suggestions. Thanks.

>What shall I expect for the breakin period? Such as can I tow my toyhauler before the first oil change?
>What do you diesel gurus mean by "regen"? "As in, my truck was about to regen and the mpg went down."
>I have seen folks put a "high idle" switch using the trucks upfitters. Why? I grew up driving small diesel Agg and Construction tractors and I understand why you set the throttle high for a work load such as a backhoe, but thats really a throttle setting not an idle. Why would one need it on a pickup? PTO or winch uses maybe?
>I see that the new Fords use UREA. Now is UREA, DEF, DPF all abreviations for the same thing?
>Are the LT265/70R17E OWL BFG's equipped on the FX4 package going to handle my hitch weight of close to 2000 lbs with my load leveling hitch? I assume they are with the "E" rating.

I have more questions but the dealer just called and I am going down to close the deal.. I hope.

Thank you

Last edited by Dualsportist; 08-28-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas Baby!!
Posts: 299
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your truck needs a few miles to seat the brakes and set the axle gears before towing. I recommend 500 miles before towing if your trailer has good brakes. The engine is ready to go now but get some miles on the brakes before you pull.

Regen is a term for when the exhaust system cleans itself, short for regeneration. The DPF "diesel particulate filter" in the exhaust collects the black carbon we used to see as diesel smoke. Sensors know when the filter is full and the system goes into regen. It does this by injecting fuel into the exhaust to super heat it. Just like a self cleaning oven it will burn the carbon down to ash and blow it out the pipe harmlessly. Since this requires extra fuel to do, your mileage goes down during the 20 minute process. You will get a quick message each time it starts a regen cycle - around 250 - 300 miles between.

DEF is "diesel exhaust fluid". The common name is urea, a liquid fertilizer. It is injected into the exhaust to reduce nitrous emissions. The harder the truck is working the more DEF it uses.

The tires will be E load rated. You will be fine.

High idle has several uses. Emergency vehicles need it to keep the alternator spinning faster with all the lights and stuff running. It puts more heat into the engine in very cold weather. PTO and other uses too.

Hope that helps a little sorry I am short but I need to get going for an appointment now. Your dealer has prolly answered a lot of questions for you.

Love to see pics of your truck if possible. Congrats and enjoy the new wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Peoples Republyk of Kalifornia
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
Your truck needs a few miles to seat the brakes and set the axle gears before towing. I recommend 500 miles before towing if your trailer has good brakes. The engine is ready to go now but get some miles on the brakes before you pull.

Regen is a term for when the exhaust system cleans itself, short for regeneration. The DPF "diesel particulate filter" in the exhaust collects the black carbon we used to see as diesel smoke. Sensors know when the filter is full and the system goes into regen. It does this by injecting fuel into the exhaust to super heat it. Just like a self cleaning oven it will burn the carbon down to ash and blow it out the pipe harmlessly. Since this requires extra fuel to do, your mileage goes down during the 20 minute process. You will get a quick message each time it starts a regen cycle - around 250 - 300 miles between.

DEF is "diesel exhaust fluid". The common name is urea, a liquid fertilizer. It is injected into the exhaust to reduce nitrous emissions. The harder the truck is working the more DEF it uses.

The tires will be E load rated. You will be fine.

High idle has several uses. Emergency vehicles need it to keep the alternator spinning faster with all the lights and stuff running. It puts more heat into the engine in very cold weather. PTO and other uses too.

Hope that helps a little sorry I am short but I need to get going for an appointment now. Your dealer has prolly answered a lot of questions for you.

Love to see pics of your truck if possible. Congrats and enjoy the new wheels.
Thaks a million Mowdoc!! I appreciate the info, especially regarding the regen and DEF.
I brought the new truck home, and will post pics as soon as I am finished reading the 450 page manual and 95 page diesel supplement. The volume of hi tech on this new truck is mind boggling. I may just have to get my 17 y/o son to program the info cluster / SYNC / Sirius / voice phonebook /etc gadgets just because these younger generations grasp this tech stuff so much faster than older turkeys like me. "Just tell me how to answer the phone and find my radio station!" I can handle the trailer brake controller, 4wd, and diff locker but the other stuff is pretty much 'Option - overload' for me. There's traction control and hill decent and manual shift automatic and on and on. 95 % of which I will never use. Sheesh. I'm glad I opted for the extended warranty.

Thanks again. And btw, I can't believe how quiet this 6.7 motor is!! And these new SD's look awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 279
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mowdoc gave probably the best answers you could expect. Never thought to think of DPF as a self cleaning oven. I'll have to remember that one.

Good luck with your new truck. We expect pics of your new ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Super Duty Owners Manual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM
JCZ JCZ is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsportist View Post
Thaks a million Mowdoc!! I appreciate the info, especially regarding the regen and DEF.
I brought the new truck home, and will post pics as soon as I am finished reading the 450 page manual and 95 page diesel supplement. The volume of hi tech on this new truck is mind boggling. I may just have to get my 17 y/o son to program the info cluster / SYNC / Sirius / voice phonebook /etc gadgets just because these younger generations grasp this tech stuff so much faster than older turkeys like me. "Just tell me how to answer the phone and find my radio station!" I can handle the trailer brake controller, 4wd, and diff locker but the other stuff is pretty much 'Option - overload' for me. There's traction control and hill decent and manual shift automatic and on and on. 95 % of which I will never use. Sheesh. I'm glad I opted for the extended warranty.

Thanks again. And btw, I can't believe how quiet this 6.7 motor is!! And these new SD's look awesome!
I laughed all the way through this thread. I've had my truck for.....oh, about 48 hours now and my thoughts were exactly the same as yours. Going to have to get one of my grandkids to tell me how to work things.

They have SYNC training at the dealership every Wed. evening from 5-8 p.m. Talked to a person today that had to go back four times and still doesn't know all the features and advantages of SYNC. Man, didn't know I was going to have to get a degree in technology in order to operate my truck.

I have learned how to work my stereo and XM/Sirrus and have all the stations pre set on both. Know how to work the cruise now. Headlights, fog lights, mirror extenders, rear window slider, seats and all the lights. I think I'm doin pretty well for forty eight hours.

I really like the average mileage gauge......helps me keep my foot out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Peoples Republyk of Kalifornia
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
I laughed all the way through this thread. I've had my truck for.....oh, about 48 hours now and my thoughts were exactly the same as yours. Going to have to get one of my grandkids to tell me how to work things.

They have SYNC training at the dealership every Wed. evening from 5-8 p.m. Talked to a person today that had to go back four times and still doesn't know all the features and advantages of SYNC. Man, didn't know I was going to have to get a degree in technology in order to operate my truck.

I have learned how to work my stereo and XM/Sirrus and have all the stations pre set on both. Know how to work the cruise now. Headlights, fog lights, mirror extenders, rear window slider, seats and all the lights. I think I'm doin pretty well for forty eight hours.

I really like the average mileage gauge......helps me keep my foot out of it.
Well you're a couple days ahead of me! And as for your needing a degree in tech as you mentioned, I concur!
I too have figured out the power mirrors and defroster, and seat adjustments... but the learning curve is dropping fast! My phone is synced into the truck, but I haven't tried Voice calling yet. I don't have the power sliding rear window on my truck like you do, and I am almost grateful!! If I can push a button and see stuff move, like the power mirrors. Or indicator lights go on for the defrost, I feel good. I can handle that.
The SYNC class is something my dealer didn't mention. So I suspect that they don't offer it as they are not a huge volume dealer. I will definitely look into that!
I am going to play with the truck's do-dads tomorrow. I didn't get any learning done today. My wife took the truck to work today to show it to her friends. She LOVES it! That could be good or bad!
Anyway, Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas Baby!!
Posts: 299
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wife loves the truck huh?? That's serious!!

My wife took a liking to my H2 Hummer when new. I had to lift it 6 inches and remove the steps to get it back. May be time for you to start a "which lift kit is highest for Super Duty" thread.

You can easily call anyone you have programmed in your phone's book.

1) Press and release the button on the steering wheel with the picture of a voice. Press the side of the button the voice pic is on. A female voice will say "Sync, please say a command"

2) You say "phone"

3)She says "Phone, who do you want to call"

4)You say "Call Joe Blow on cell". This will dial the number you have in your phone under that name and place. If programmed, you could call Joe at home or work numbers. Just say "Call Joe Blow at work" for that number.

The female will repeat the number you requested and start dialing it. You will also see the name on the radio screen if you have Nav.

After the call is over you have two choices.

1) just stay quiet and wait for the phone to hang up by itself when it senses the other phone has hung up

or

2) you can press AND HOLD the button with a pic of a phone on your steering wheel until you hear the radio start playing again. Your phone has hung up from the call then. This same button can be used differently to switch a call to the handset of your phone and not be heard on the truck speakers. (handy feature if your girlfriend calls while the wife is onboard!!)

If you are driving and your phone rings, you will hear it over the truck speakers ringing. Use the radio volume buttons up or down to set the ringer volume before you answer the call.

To answer the call press the steering wheel button with a pic of a phone on it and release. A couple seconds later, the call will be on the truck speakers. Just speak normally and pay attention to your driving. You can adjust call volume with the same up and down buttons the radio uses.

Anytime you mess up, just press and hold the phone pic button until the radio comes back on. From there, you can start again.

You have a lot of choices when the female says "sync, please say a command". You can request traffic info, ask directions, even hear your horoscope and all kinds of stuff. JKust play with it and you will figure it out. And if you mess up and call me, I'll answer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Peoples Republyk of Kalifornia
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
Wife loves the truck huh?? That's serious!!

My wife took a liking to my H2 Hummer when new. I had to lift it 6 inches and remove the steps to get it back. May be time for you to start a "which lift kit is highest for Super Duty" thread.

You can easily call anyone you have programmed in your phone's book.

1) Press and release the button on the steering wheel with the picture of a voice. Press the side of the button the voice pic is on. A female voice will say "Sync, please say a command"

2) You say "phone"

3)She says "Phone, who do you want to call"

4)You say "Call Joe Blow on cell". This will dial the number you have in your phone under that name and place. If programmed, you could call Joe at home or work numbers. Just say "Call Joe Blow at work" for that number.

The female will repeat the number you requested and start dialing it. You will also see the name on the radio screen if you have Nav.

After the call is over you have two choices.

1) just stay quiet and wait for the phone to hang up by itself when it senses the other phone has hung up

or

2) you can press AND HOLD the button with a pic of a phone on your steering wheel until you hear the radio start playing again. Your phone has hung up from the call then. This same button can be used differently to switch a call to the handset of your phone and not be heard on the truck speakers. (handy feature if your girlfriend calls while the wife is onboard!!)

If you are driving and your phone rings, you will hear it over the truck speakers ringing. Use the radio volume buttons up or down to set the ringer volume before you answer the call.

To answer the call press the steering wheel button with a pic of a phone on it and release. A couple seconds later, the call will be on the truck speakers. Just speak normally and pay attention to your driving. You can adjust call volume with the same up and down buttons the radio uses.

Anytime you mess up, just press and hold the phone pic button until the radio comes back on. From there, you can start again.

You have a lot of choices when the female says "sync, please say a command". You can request traffic info, ask directions, even hear your horoscope and all kinds of stuff. JKust play with it and you will figure it out. And if you mess up and call me, I'll answer!!!
Thanks again Mowdoc!! That was a huge write up on your part, thanks! I actually played with it this morning and made a Voice call! I think I am 'dialed in' on the phone calling and recvng calls. The phone book seemed to work excellently too.
Now it's down to programming the sirius radio stations, and I am getting close to mastering that. I spent an hour going thru the SYNC manual while they installed LoJack at the dealer, and there is hope for me yet.
And yes, the wife LOVES the truck, but it's very hard for her to get in it w/o running boards / steps. So I won't bother ordering those... and I'll keep my truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors