Newbie to this forum with several 6.7 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie to this forum with several 6.7 questions

I tried the search feature and while a couple of them came kind of close, none of them answered my questions specifically. I'm sure it's been asked here so I'm not sure why it didn't come up.

I've had an 04 F-350 Lariet FX4 dually (to pull my boat) and loved that truck! Diesel went to $3.00 a gallon (more than premium gas) and so I sold it after selling the boat. Now we'd love to have those prices back.

Getting ready to retire and travel in a couple of years so back at it. Last night I bought an extended cab (crew cab?) 2012 F-250 Lariet FX4 SRW. We'll be pulling a 5th wheel.

After much research and paying to join an RV consumer web site (much like Consumer Reports for the RV industry), I found the 5th wheel that's the lightest, all season (good down below freezing with heavier insulation and heated holding tanks), with the highest reliability and value scores.....the 2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS (made by Northwood) and it's dry weight is 7,020 with a GVW of 8,500. So it's light (the lightest of the all season 5th wheels and much lighter than most of you are hauling.

My questions:

What kind of mileage are you getting with the 6.7 (please indicate if it's 250-350 and cc or scc) driving unloaded?

What kind of mileage are you getting pulling the 5th wheels and at what weight is your 5th?

Probably should have asked these questions before I signed on the dotted line but this 5th wheel is a huge part of my retirement plan. We're going to give up the home completly and just travel.....at least for a few years or forever. I've found forums for "fulltime RVers" and the average age is 50-70. I was really surprised at that.....but somebody has to work those national parks, state parks and other public campgrounds.....especially when you only have to work four hours a day to cover your space and hookups. Sounds like the dream job to me.

Last edited by JCZ; 08-24-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You did not say what year you bought or the axle ratio but since you are in the 6.7 forum, I would guess a 2011 or 2012??

My loaded milage info is in my signature below for my F450.

I had a 2011 F250 with 355 gears before that so I know what it could do too.

The issue with the camper you are looking at and fuel mileage is not so much the weight but the wind drag it will have. 8,000 lbs just barely gets a 6.7 up to temperature good!!

That RV in my sig is 13 feet 4 inches tall. It does have an "aerodynamic" front cap but it really drags a lot of air at hiway speeds.

I pulled a large pontoon boat with my 2011 F250 and it would do around 12mpg at speed. That same F250 did 8mpg pulling the RV shown in my sig. I will guess your truck will do around 10 - 10.5 mpg pulling that baby fiver. If the camper is very low or has a wedged front it could do better.

I know you are looking at a very small RV but you will probably want to install a set of air bags on your truck when you get the camper. That will level you right up and give the truck a much better feel driving the load. You may even like the empty ride better with bags too -- I did.

Good Luck and enjoy your retirement - live long and prosper (Dr. Spock)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Oh yes, and WELCOME to the forum!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the response and feedback.

It's a 2012.....so what rear end is it?

Going to look in your gallery when I get a minute. Really curious what that Bed Rug looks like around your fifth wheel.

Is that 5th wheel a slider? I have the 6.75' bed and have been wondering which hitch I'm going to need to get.

The Mountain Fox does have the sloped front panel that's supposed to be aero dynamic (new this year to the Mountain Fox) however, it doesn't have the rounded corners for turning clearence that some have.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM

The slider will be on your list of things to do. You will be able to pull the camper without a slider but very limited on turns with a short bed and square nosed trailer. I would recommend a 10 inch slider (what I had in the F250 short bed) or even get a 12 inch if you want but you will need some room to maneuver in tight places.

You prolly have 355 gears in an F250 SRW. An easy way to tell is if the 4x4 switch on the dash will pull straight out a little - click. That is the electric locker switch and only available on 355 electric locker axle. Your dealer can tell you what axle you have if you can't figure it out. You may be able to call them with the VIN and get answer on phone. It would be good for you to know the ratio in your truck.

I had a plastic drop-in liner in my F250 - genuine Ford product. It was OK but everything you sit in there slides around. I did not want a spray-in liner, I have that in my work truck and don't like it so I got the Bed Rug thru Ford accessories for the F450. I really like the Bed Rug and it is as tough as advertised too. Dries right out after rain and looks great. It is super nice to crawl around on - just like the front room carpet!! I will buy another if this one ever goes south on me. I believe the Bed Rug only comes in an off Gray color but I could be wrong. The Gray looks great with my Silver paint anyway so I'm happy.

The Bed Rug does not have any openings for a 5th wheel hitch. I cut a couple of "door flaps" in my Bed Rug that flip up when the hitch is in and fold back down to cover when it is out. Works great!! A good razor knife will cut the BedRug easily. Just mark it and go!!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:05 PM

I have 3.31's with E-Locker.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM

just don't take the 'pancake breakfast' job at the Badlands KOA - I've got dibs on it for 2018

the PullRite hitch I use actually works very well. probably a bit of overkill for your particular application but having a slider on a short box is the only way to go.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Mine is a F350 with the 3.55 and 20" wheels. You can see my lifetime fuel milage in the Fuelly app in my signature.

I have pulled several 5th wheels. But mostly pull gooseneck horse trailers and equipment trailers. My 13,000 lb horse, Which is 7'6" tall ( floor to roof) and had a large hay rack on top of that gets me around 11 mpg. But I am driving here in the intermountain west up and down some pretty steep grades.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:18 PM

pulling mileage

i've got a 2011 f250 ccsb just got back from a 6k mie trip in july. we averaged 11.9 mpg my 5th wheel is a 2011 269bhs chaperral lite with a 9500 gvw i used a cort e16 slider hitch. the best thing about this truck when your pulling hills around the country you have power to spar when you need to pass anyong even up hill. good luck with your new truck and enjoy . i know i am.............
Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Picked up the new truck last night....

I had an 04 F-350 Lariet, FX-4 dually and I loved that truck. But it doesn't come close to what this truck is. So quiet, so smooth, so fast (for a stock diesel) and all the bells and whistles will take me weeks to figure it all out. I really like the fuel average gauge.....that helps me to keep my foot out of it.......at least until it gets broke in .......... feast your eyes on this baby.......

Last edited by JCZ; 08-28-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.