Got a Question! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got a Question!

Do we have high idle on our trucks, i know i had it on my duramax it would only kick in when it was below 32 degrees, just wondering if any of the buttons in my truck trigger this? I have a Lariat 2011 f250 diesel FX4, any cool features this thing does? i know a good bit about the truck jsut not every thing it offers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

In cold weather your truck will kick the idle up until the truck is warmed up.
Last winter I was up in North Dakota and it was -25. I got up and drove 60 miles and when I pulled into the parking lot the high idle kicked in because the engine coolant temp still had achieved the "warmed" temp reading.

So it is not based on how long you idle but on the temp of the coolant.

I have remote started my truck at 20 temps and let it sit idling in the drive way for 10 minutes and still have cold coolant. A short drive to the nearest C-store to get morning caffine and the coolant temp raises considerable higher in the 1 minute of driving than the 10 minutes of idle. The EGT temps at idle are so low that they really don't do much to warm the coolant vs the 400 temps you get driving down the street at 35 mph.

You didn't state why you want a high idle option. But unless it's for the purpose of bumping up the rpms to push the alternater to put out more amps or for some attachment to the PTO. It really doesn't do much more than the warm up idle bump that is built into the computer.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Thats what i was wanting to know, i know on the dodges you mess with the cruise control buttons and you can control idle speed. Just wondering if we may have had the same thing. I like it when i get up i can remote start and warm the inside of my truck up on the cold duck hunting mornings. Just wondering, so from what i gather the truck senses low temps and computer ramps up the idle till it gets operating temp
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM

It will jump from the 700rpm normal idle to around 1000 rpm on cold mornings

I don't know what temps trigger that.

And as I mention, idle even the fast idle does very little to warm the cab. My truck has the Rapid Heat option andit does get the windshield defrosted. The truck warms up much faster as you start driving and get your EGTs up to higher temps than idle can produce.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM

understandable, i have the lariat package does all this come on it. I'm still learning things about this truck, i'd like to know everything about it hence the reason i joined this site. I'm no rookie by no means with a diesel. My Dmax was nice and i new alot about it but this 6.7 is a force to be reckoned with....lol
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Rapid Heat is an option on any of the packages. ( XLT, Lariat, KR) So you may or may not have it. There is no visable evidence of Rapid Heat. No switches, No indicator lights. The only easy way to know if you have it is too look at your truck invoice and see if it's listed on the invoice. ( Dealers don't typically order it on trucks on warmer climates) It also comes with the Heavy Duty Alternator. All the components are buried deep in the dash, So it's not easy to see. It's basically like a hair dryer, puts out 1800 watts of heat from a electric heater coil when the truck cab is cold and you turn on the heat. It automatically turns off as the engine coolant comes up to temp and takes over the heating job.

The warm up idle is part of the 6.7L engines computer and comes in any truck regardless of package

A lot of guys have added a High Idle to their outfitter switches. It's a fairly simple add on, where you can flip a switch and get higher idle( depending on what capacitor you use) it is great if you are driving a welder or some other bed mounted appliance that needs the engine operating at a higher rpm. But it doesn't do much for warming up the cab. It does help with the Wet Stacking if you leave your engine idling for extended periods.

The fastest way to warm up the cab is to get some Turbo Boost going through the engine, This will push the EGT's up which will in turn heat up the engine coolant. Idle has no boost. So th EGT's stay pretty low even at a 1100 rpm high idle.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM

Here you go. Read this:
SEIC (High Idle) MOD PICTURES - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

All the wires are exposed under the dash of every SD. You can make it fixed or variable based on the two ways you can do it. It's very easy to do. I did the pot so its variable. I have mine set for about 1200 rpm.

Last edited by vlxjim; 08-23-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.