F-450 right truck??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-450 right truck???

I am looking at a new toy hauler than is over 40' and has a gvw of 18000, do I need a 450 to pull this or should I be fine with a 350 dually? Would I need any special licence for the 450 since it has a gcvw of 33000?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 PM

I don't think you would need a special license due to you can drive u hauls with way more weight then that haha. the f350 will tow it, but the f450 will have a lower gear ration which will be more like a 4.30 or 4.88. Which will tow better.

But after a little research depending on where your located you may need a CDL. Even the new F350's you need one.. .according to this

F350 / F450 Which one? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The F350 will handle that load just fine.

F350 advantage is fuel mileage because you can get a faster axle ratio than a F450 offers. The 450 only comes with a 430 gear (maybe the 2013s will change this??) so mileage is poor. Less than 14mpg empty hiway - every time. The F350 with a 373 (I think is the fast axle) will do a couple miles more. Loaded mpg will not be effected much as the 6.7 torque is awesome with any axle.

F450 advantages are larger brakes, wide front axle and better turning radius.

Depending on your relationship with the insurance agent, you could spend more for the F450 as they will automaticly think it is a commercial vehicle. I have known and done business with my agent for decades so the F450 really does not cost me more than a 350 would as they know it is personel use vehicle and only moves my RV around.

NV DVM was same story. I had to convince them this was a personel use truck and they wanted to register it as commercial. Most F450s are tow trucks, work trucks or something that works commercial every day. Getting registered for personel use takes a few minutes to explain.

I would recommend the F450 for you if you can pony up the fuel money. They are very stable towing platforms with the wide front axles and the brakes feel a lot more solid than the smaller ones do when loaded heavy. I ran 70mpg ON CRUISE CONTROL all the way to the Sturgis Rally a couple weeks ago in the Wyoming winds and never felt the effects. I was grossing very heavy as wifey seems to think we are moving, not camping, if we go for more than over night!! She had us loaded for battle since we stayed two weeks.

When I first got the F450, I kinda wished I had got a 350. After useing the truck for a few months now I am glad I got it. I saw the effects that Wyoming wind was having on smaller rigs.

Good Luck
Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 AM
The Silent Service

On a 2011+ truck, the brakes and rims are the same on the F450 pick ups as they are on the F350's. Only difference between the two in that regard is a wider Dana60 up front, and Dana110 in the rear.

The '11+ F350s are rated to GCWR of 30K, with 3.73 gears, which with the new drivetrain is great for mileage. You won't have an issue pulling an 18K trailer.

The F450 Pickup will easily pull that trailer, but you'd be stuck with the 4.30s. I run 4.30's in my '07 TowBoss (very similar construction to the F450 pickups today). Mileage suffers when you compare the two trucks. Unless you need that extra 3K of towing, you will want to avoid the insurance costs, registration fees, and associated charges that come with a commercial vehicle.

Either way, that does put you over 26K Gross, and you will want to check your state as to the requirement of a CDL. There is too many here on the ORG that want to debate that.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
get the F350 way more power and more comfortable ride
Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
get the F350 way more power and more comfortable ride
With the '11+ trucks the F350 and F450 Pickups have the same tuning of 400/800.

Its only in the C&C trucks that get de-tuned for towing conserns, down to 300/660.

As for the ride, again, similar spring packages in the F350 and F450 DRW trucks.

Ford stopped using C&C frames axles and springs on the F450 Pickup with the 2011s. The pick up bodies trucks are remarkably similar (just as the TowBoss F350's of the '05-'07 years - which were the forerunner of the F450 Pickup.)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ahh good to know so i guess they found out nobody liked the de tuned models and it made them hard to sell.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
ahh good to know so i guess they found out nobody liked the de tuned models and it made them hard to sell.
Even in the '08-'10 F450 Pickups, it was the same HP/TOR numbers as the F250/350 trucks.

The reason for detuning the C&Cs is the heavier towing capacities and longevity in the commercial environment.

What killed the F450 pick up from the '08-'10 MYs, was its 19.5" rims, 10K curb weight, and difference in fuel mileage. That's why you can find one for sale, for around the same price or cheaper than an equally equipped F350DRW from that time period.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks for the advice. If I go with the f 350 should i get a drw? or would a single rear wheel truck be able to handle fine?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you're definitely gonna want a dually with that monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.