9900 pound and 10,000 pound packages - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
9900 pound and 10,000 pound packages

I am currently looking to replace my current truck with a F-350 SRW Supercab long bed 4x4.

I have been doing research on the Ford website building different trucks. I have looked at the F-250 as well.

I would like to know what the 9,900 pound and 10,000 pound packages do for the truck? I thought they raised the GVW but I believe that it may lower the GVW?

I test drove a real nice F-350 SRW CCSB Lariat today. All I can say is I think I am hooked on getting a new Ford. I was leaning toward an XLT but with the options that I am looking at the Lariat may be the better choice. The sticker said it had a GVW of 11,500 pounds.

So what does that package actually do? Just trying to figure out if I need it or not.
thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lowers the GVW for licensing advantages in certain states
Old 08-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go with the Lariat!! The last new truck I got was a XLT back in 2006 I told myself i don't need all that nice stuff. I kicked myself after that! Just a few weeks ago I got a new 2012 Lariat that has everything. What a differance! It's like a space ship inside One thing I did notice the Lariat seats are 100 % better! You won't want to get out of the truck. If you don't believe me go test ride both (XLT/Lariat). You'll think your in two different trucks
Old 08-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOW_F350 View Post
Lowers the GVW for licensing advantages in certain states
Snow,....can you expand on that a little? My 250 has the 10k package. What is physically different with/without this package?

Thanks for your help.

K
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Kbota, I ordered a '12 F350 with this option. There is nothing different functionally for the truck. It just changes the GVW on the registration. I did this to save some money.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will try to simplify the answer the best I can.

In most states, a commercial vehicle is considered a truck over 10,000lbs, so the advantage to the 9900lbs is to side step a commercial label. (As an example I just bought a enclosed trailer and ordered it with a 9900lb gvw, if I had ordered a 14000lb gvw, and it was behind my f-550 with a 18000lbs gvw it would exeed the 26000lbs combination weight and would require a class "A" or commercial license to drive it as I use my vehicles to perform commerce. But at 9900lb it isn't classified as a commercial combination.)

Disadvantage of that in my state is on the tax side is with a commercial plate you can pro rate the sales tax over years of service as opposed to paying up front.

If its your personal vehicle with out a company name or need to have a fed dot #, (or have no idea what I'm talking about,) it won't effect you either way.

Last edited by minzbig22; 08-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1Pa View Post
Go with the Lariat!! The last new truck I got was a XLT back in 2006 I told myself i don't need all that nice stuff. I kicked myself after that! Just a few weeks ago I got a new 2012 Lariat that has everything. What a differance! It's like a space ship inside One thing I did notice the Lariat seats are 100 % better! You won't want to get out of the truck. If you don't believe me go test ride both (XLT/Lariat). You'll think your in two different trucks
That's because they ARE two different trucks! lol
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Unless you live in a state that penalizes you ( by taxing it higher) for having a GVW over 10,000lbs, Get the normal GVW. Then if you have trailer or need to tow/haul a heavier load you will be legal.

Utah doesn't care. So the dealers sell way more F350's than they do F250's. Taxes are value based, So a $60,000 truck pays the same registration regardless of if it has a 9900 gvw or an 11,400. But there are states where that difference in the GVW sticker will cost you several hundred $ more each year at registration time.

10,000lbs is the magic number where trucks fall under juristiction of the DOT. A pickup truck registered for 10,001 lbs used in commerical business should have a DOT # on the side of the truck, stop at Weigh stations, carry the fire extingusher, triangles and are subject to DOT inspections. But most states ignor the private owner pickups. But put a Coca-Cola logo on the side of a pickup and fill the back with product and see how fast they check you out.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Emergency Services

Thank you for the replies. I think I am going to try to find a tuck without this package.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Unless you live in a state that penalizes you ( by taxing it higher) for having a GVW over 10,000lbs, Get the normal GVW. Then if you have trailer or need to tow/haul a heavier load you will be legal.

Utah doesn't care. So the dealers sell way more F350's than they do F250's. Taxes are value based, So a $60,000 truck pays the same registration regardless of if it has a 9900 gvw or an 11,400. But there are states where that difference in the GVW sticker will cost you several hundred $ more each year at registration time.

10,000lbs is the magic number where trucks fall under juristiction of the DOT. A pickup truck registered for 10,001 lbs used in commerical business should have a DOT # on the side of the truck, stop at Weigh stations, carry the fire extingusher, triangles and are subject to DOT inspections. But most states ignor the private owner pickups. But put a Coca-Cola logo on the side of a pickup and fill the back with product and see how fast they check you out.
any commercially registered vehicle is supposed to go into weight stations, even those little NAPA smart cars. that being said 99.9% of the time they will wave through a SRW pick up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.