How often should truck go into Regen (Cleaning Exhaust Filter)? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How often should truck go into Regen (Cleaning Exhaust Filter)?

I just recently traded in my 2008 F-250 4x4 Lariat that was Spartan tuned on a new 2012 F-250 4x4 Lariat which is completely stock. I love this truck but it seems that it is cleaning the exhaust filter about 3 times over a one tank of fuel basically about every 80 to 100 miles it goes though the process and this seems a bit excesive. I am wondering how often others are seeing the cleaning exhaust filter message and does this seem really wrong. I really want to at least make it to the first oil change and see if it gets better if not then I am probably going to go ahead with tuning and delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Same thing here. I get the message about every 100 miles, but dont want to do deletes yet. I would love to know if this is normal.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Numerous owners are complaining about the increase in regens coupled with a decrease in fuel milage since the latest reflash of for the NOX sensor. I have asked Ford Customer Service to find out if this is going to be the new norm. Prior to my reflash I would only see one regen a tank full, but I drive country roads, not stop and go city traffic.
Still waiting for a response.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thom12 thanks and I am like you I drive nothing but highway and to keep seeing regens happening every 80 to 100 miles is a little aggrevating. So looks like I will be tuning and deleting in about 4k miles.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:57 PM

How many miles are on your trucks? Mine went through a phase where it regen'd ever 80-100 miles. Then after a good heavy tow it went back to normal. Mine regens about 250-300 miles, I drive 150 miles a day average. It will become more frequent over time, when it does I take a long trip at 65+ mph or hook up one of our trailers and tow equipment for a day. The trucks are built to work short 20-30 mile commutes does them no good.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 08-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

....mine does not regen at all...

and my oil looks like it is out of the bottle......

deletes at 94k
Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck regens every 80-100 miles as well. I told my service advisor and he said that it's normal. Ummm ok that sucks! Before NOX fix it seemed to regen less often, maybe every 125-150 miles. I'm hoping that the engineers are working on a new flash that will fix this. Truck has 10,000 miles.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have about 2500 miles on my truck and I think it has done it 3 times maybe 4.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Mine since new has always been 80-150 with as high as 250 miles between regen and I now have just over 22000 miles. I do not let it idile or drive stop and go traffic. Even long highway trips lucky to get 150 miles. The stealership kept saying put some miles on it, then said oh we will take a look and then when I showed up they said you have to sign this so if there is no problem you owe us 126.00 for looking at it. No trouble code or boke down so everthings normal you owe us. Ford hotline says regen 100-500 so its all good even the anoying surging during regen. I even told ford my dealer and his manager were incompetant at diognostics when they tried explaining the regen cycle for a 6.0 and I had to remind him this is a 6.7. Dealer in next town wants to see my truck says he knows that guy and agrees hes a horses behind so I think I will give them a try. Map,dpf pressure sensor,MAF,IAT,CAC,Egr temp sensor and 4 exhaust temp sensors control regen which one is bad or lazy?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 AM

Does anyone hear use a cetane improver? That may help with the frequent regen, I've used motorcraft, and opti lube summer. In fact my service manager asked me what if any, and he is now using opti lube aswell. You have to use it with every fillup to gain consistent benefits. If regens are too frequent and you have surging barrow someones trailer load it down and go for a couple hundred mile drive. Get the EGT's up and then see what happens. If you have surging take it to a dealer who cares and knows what they are doing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.