Weighing the decisions, F-350 or F-450. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weighing the decisions, F-350 or F-450.

Hello everyone, let me give a little story and problem i am confronted with. I will soon be attending The Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (Yes the subsidiary of UTI). But since it only takes a year and a half to complete my education my local representative suggested that I start purchasing tools before I enter the field. I have been shadowing local Harley-Davidson technicians and some have admitted that their tool boxes with tools inside weigh around 2,000lbs. And not to mention they told me that in my early years of my career I may be passed around dealership to dealership. And if I find that I have to move a 1 ton tool box my '94 Bronco is not going to cut it. So both my parents being long-time Ford owners recommended I look into an F-350 since they know this truck has the payload capacity to haul something like this( I am not spoiled we are splitting the payment 50/50). The first truck I liked is an '07 F-350 with the Lariat trim (and dual rear wheels of course) 49k miles and the asking price is $33,449 however I didn't test drive it. But the truck is being sold by Carmax, and you cannot negotiate prices at Carmax. But this past Saturday I went down to my local Ford Dealer, the salesmen there told me they do not have any F-350s in their used inventory but he said that hey have an F-450. And out of curiosity i took a look at it, and then test drove it. I fell in love with this truck. This truck is an '08 F-450 with the 6.4 stroker, it is a Lariat as well. It has 38k miles. the asking price is $39,995.Here are my ups and downs with the F-350. My ups are that the 6.0 engine is fairly economical compared to other diesels. it is cheaper that the F-450. But the downs are is it has more miles and my biggest concern is that I hear the 6.0's have more problems than most people can count. Which is playing a huge part in my decision. My ups and downs with the F-450. My ups are that it has a great ride. It has less miles and definitely has the capability to handle something along these lines. My downs are that I hear the 6.4's drink the gas, and in my opinion this was confirmed on the test drive. The computer was reading 11.6 miles to the gallon. That is worse than my Bronco. And I may have to purchase a commercial insurance policy and that can get very expensive. But the third option is should I also look into the new 6.7 scorpion? What I am asking for is a little friendly input and advice, tell me what would be the smarter choice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

I had a 6.4 and now have a 6.7. You can get a new XLT for the same price as your used 6.4 your looking at and will get better mileage and power from a stock truck. I am very happy with my new 6.7.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had a 08 f450 and the fuel mileage sucked, only 13 around town and not much better on the highway. The 450 also have a governor that limits it to 83mph.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

One thing to be careful with is check to see if your insurance will even give you regular insurance on an F450, even if for personal use only. Many are making owners of F450s go with commercial insurance because of the GVWR.

Also keep in mind, F450s usually have 4:88 axle ratios so that is where the somewhat bad MPG comes from and like mentioned above, also limits your top speed.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=Keel056;3173191]I had a 6.4 and now have a 6.7. You can get a new XLT for the same price as your used 6.4 your looking at and will get better mileage and power from a stock truck. I am very happy with my new 6.7.[/QUOTE

Very True, but my local dealer does not keep very many XLTs on their lot they and are scooped up very quickly because they are cheaper and offer some amenities. The majority of their Super Duties are Lariats or King Ranches. And those trucks are 60k+. So I have already faced the facts that I am break the bank a little to get one.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
One thing to be careful with is check to see if your insurance will even give you regular insurance on an F450, even if for personal use only. Many are making owners of F450s go with commercial insurance because of the GVWR.

Also keep in mind, F450s usually have 4:88 axle ratios so that is where the somewhat bad MPG comes from and like mentioned above, also limits your top speed.
That's a good point also. I had to tell my insurance company that mine was used to pull a camper in order to add it to my policy.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM
The Silent Service

Check a few key things between the F350/F450 trucks:

Registration / Titleing costs with your DMV?
Insurance Costs for the year? (F450 is almost always a commerical vehical)
Weigh the GCWRs and what you expect to be towing?

The F350 Pickups will be running 3.73s with the '11+ trucks, where the '11+ F450 pickup's are very similar to the F350 TowBoss's (Similar frame and axles (FAWR ~5900 RAWR ~9500, with 4.30 gearing) though they now are rated to tow more and have a wide-track front end (cuts down the turning radius by around 6ft). Frames I think are similar as well with the F450 pickup, to reduce weight and improve advertised towing capacities.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 AM

The 08-10 450 is a much heavier truck than the 350's of the same vintage. Unless you special order a chassis cab, the 2011-2013 450 is. Irtually identical to the 350. (if you know the old 350 Tow Boss this is what the new 450's are). Main difference is wide front axle foe smaller turning radius (a great help with the greater than 35 food 5ers), and 4.30 gears versus 3.73 or 3.55 on the 350. The brakes are a little bigger on the 450, but no where near the stopping power of the old 450.

Unless you are in a state and plan on tuning it, I would stay away from the 08-10 vintage. Awful mileage, lots of problems for way too many folks. Yes, some have been trouble free but I doubt that those units are being sold or traded.

Be sure to get Ford's Oaisis report on service work that has been done on a rig you are thinking seriously about. It won't show everything but it can give you a sense if it has been a pain for the previous owner(s).

With your weight, a 350 is all you need. You will get a lot better mileage. If you have no plans for a heavy 5th wheel, I would suggest that you stick with the SRW 350, not the dually. It's payload is much higher because it does not have the heavy axle weight that you do not need for your application. Now if you were going to a full box truck for heavy equipment service in the field or job Site mechanics the combined weight of that body and your tools MIGHT suggest the dually.

Regardless of model, the diesel in the 11's and up give close to mileage to the pre emission 08-10's. About 25% better than the 08-10's. The creature comforts in the recent models are impressive.

Search this forum. There are some great discount dealers in TX that give 6 to 10k off plus ford incentives, and that was before year end clearances.

Good luck,
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

Get a small utility trailer for the toolbox. Unless every place you want to load or unload your truck has a loading dock you are in for an impossible task getting it up in there.

Now you have a small utility trailer that cost you five hundred bucks you've no reason to get a new truck.

In all seriousness, you are saddling yourself with a ton of debt even with the rents helping out. You will come out of school owing so much money you're choices will be very narrow. Not to mention the stress. Debt is a crusher.

You'll be thinking about your truck, daydreaming when what you should be doing is studying.

My 2 cents (and I know you don't want to hear it) is be responsible, set the new toys aside until you are in a better financial setting. Get another year or two out of the bronc. Consider how much you'll impress your parents if you come to that decision on your own. Set yourself up for a life of fiscal responsibility and you will be MUCH happier in the long run.

Last edited by TrickTruck; 07-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Trust me a trailer is what we considered before looking into a truck. The idea of spending $30k+ on a vehicle does not rest well with my parents. But I live in my own apartment, I don't have anywhere to put a trailer. Sure there is self storage but that creates another expense and since I am fresh out on my own I need to keep my expenditures to a minimum. Not to mention my Bronco has 213,548 miles on it. And I had almost became a regular at Don Chalmers Ford service center while I was in Highschool, I was always borrowing money from my dad to keep it in good repair. My Bronco's drivetrain is still going strong but the 4x4 system and UV joints are always having problems. I know I am slitting my own throat by getting myself into debt. I know the truck payment will be much more expensive than the storage bill, however I need a new or better vehicle soon my dad and I have dumped more into that stupid SUV than what it is worth.

And getting it into the bed really actually isn't difficult with a portable motorcycle loading ramp and an extra hand. ( I have seen it been done before). One of the technicians at my Hometown's Harley dealer was also into motorcycle racing and would transport his tools from the shop to the track using only the ramp and his brother and a Chevy 3500.

I know I need to be financially responsible for myself. In the past 8 months living on my own I learned that the hard way. I have been trying to budget religiously. But since my dad is a state employee he can bank at The New Mexico state employee's credit union. And they offer a low 4% APR. And our loan term will be no less than 60 months. So hopefully my end of the payment can be fairly manageable. Granted i will have to hold on to the truck for 5 years. My dad feels that if I am going to need a truck down the road now is the opportunity to get rid of the Bronco and into something better.

I thank you for your concern I know you are much wiser and smarter than I am. And I would be a fool not to take your advice. But I have been thrown quite the curve ball. I would inevitably had to get rid of The Bronco in the next couple of years, With my budget I couldn't afford the repairs on my own.

Last edited by Harley-Boy; 07-25-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.