Buying a 2011 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a 2011

I sold my 6.0 about a month ago and I'm trying to find a used 6.7. I'm looking at a white lariat ext cab short bed. The only thing keeping me from buying it is the cab and color, I really want a black crew cab. I'm back and forth about buying it since its priced low with low miles but I've heard that the shorter cabs drive like crap do that's been throwing me off. Anyone know if that's true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depends on your personal preferences. My brother and I both have 2011 CCSB XLTs. The only difference is that he has the FX4 package and 20" wheels, where as my truck is the standard suspension with 18" wheels. After putting a few miles on my truck, I feel like the suspension an ride are just fine. My brother seems to think that his truck rides really rough, even when towing.

A shorter truck will probably not have as good of a ride as a CCLB or CCSB, but there are other factors.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You will get differing answers on that questions. The shorter trucks like the ECSB and RCLB's seem to be a bit stiffer in the rear because of the lower weight on the rear end. My RCLB rides pretty good after I replaced the overloads with a Carli mini pack and put in some better shocks. Wheel size and tire pressure will also play a role in how well the the trucks takes bumps both big and small.

The longer trucks like the CCSB and expcecially the CCLB put more weight on the rear end which helps the ride in most cases when emtpy but the have quite a bit more frame flex. This can cause a rythmic bounce on certain roads and highways that can drive a guy crazy. Again, properly tuned shocks can tuen some of this out along with good wheel/tire choices.

Ironically, Sage Carli is working on some more shock valve profiles this weekend using a new piston that they have machined to work in their King 2.5's. This new piston and valve profile has worked nice in the front shocks and he is going to start messing with the rears next.

I too am looking at replacing my 08 F350 RCLB with a ECSB in white but they are hard to find. I assume that in that color most are fleet trucks hence why I mostly find XL's with high mileage.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

If I were you I'd spend some time on the various forums and get a feel for the '11s.
Lot of griping about the first year trucks and not nearly as much on the '12s. Lots of '11 folks with trannys they aren't happy with.

I find that Ford quality is mediocre and the service to get problems taken care of to be...painful.

It would take a LOT of money to make me put up with the grief that a lot of folks with '11s have had.
Not to say that many haven't had a lick of trouble, but for those who do, it's a nightmare.

Think hard about how much you are saving and how much you'd be willing to pay to let your truck sit in the shop a lot. Or have unresolvable tranny problems.

Also to consider if it's such a great deal, why is it such a great deal? Is the guy getting out from under a headache?

Just sayin. UR money, but if it were me, I'd be thinking long and hard about the value of saving some coin on a first year truck.

As to ride, I thought mine rode pretty good the first few weeks I had it. But it got worse pretty quickly. Leveled and King shocks and it rides better than ever.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 AM

I am the other end of the spectrum, my 11' built 01/11 and has had no issues. Just turned 39k had the NOX sensor reflashed even though has never had any faults and I have not experienced any of the tranny issues. The majority of the 11's with tranny issues were built between 11/10 and 1/11 ( end of the job 1 and beginning of job 2 trucks) . I would fully recommend these vehicles. I know of three others with job 1 trucks and have not seen any problems except the recalls for software updates and then a few days of hard shifting until the tranny "relearns". I don't care what the service tech says it takes several days and several 100 miles for the learning cycle to complete.

Cheers,

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a job 1.. ordered it and haven't looked back. To expect a perfect machine mass produced is unrealistic. At 112k, a nox sensor, tranny pack both under warranty, clutch fan (my $)... and with regular maintainance I have had no issues other than tire wear from TOO much torque..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.