Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2011 Blown Turbo Job 1

6K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  6.0L Stroker 
#1 ·
Jumped on the hwy yesterday and the turbo in my truck was as dead as a door nail. No boost psi, super sluggish.

I Live in a small town so the dealer was super close. Kept the truck running so they could see the problem when i arrived. Sure enough they said the turbo is shot.

Truck is stock and only has 19k miles. :clap:

#2 ·
So sorry to hear that man. Keep us posted on the fix!

this your first PSD?

#3 ·
My hats off to the dealer, they where super cool and set me up with a rental.

The dealer did not have a turbo on hand so looks like late Monday i will get it back.

This is my 2nd Super Duty i had a 2006 that i traded in for the 2011.:shoot:

#12 ·
ever seen a UPS delivery driver idle down? nope, they kill the engine instantly and then fire it back up and haul ace only to kill it and fire it back up a couple hundred times a day.

My buddy worked on UPS fleet trucks. Very rarely had to replace a turbo.

Modern oils don't coke up like they did in the 70's/early 80's

#10 ·
UPDATE

Picked my truck up yesterday, Dealer knocked it out very quick.

So the cause of the turbo to fail was the Turbine wheel in the turbo was not rotating.

They replaced the turbo along with 3 intake manifold gaskets.

I must say, the psi for the turbo gauge is the highest it's been since owning the truck, i'm digging that.

The truck also seems to respond a lot better then it did in the past, meaning more turbo power.

I'm glad it's all fixed and that the revised turbo should fix the issue moving forward.:hunter:

#20 ·
If it was really such a horrible design these turbos would be.dropping like flies. The reality is they are NOT. Here and there one or two are having issues. The 450/550 issue is unrelated. So all the whiners who are complaining that they were able to afford a brand spanking new truck can go bite my hi
ney :)

#21 · (Edited)
We see more threads about it, so by nature we believe the problem is escalating. That's the only metric we have available to us as owners. That and what the mechanics at the dealerships tell us, whatever that's worth.

If I'm not mistaken, the 450 has the same turbo we do. It's the 550 and up trucks that have the different turbo, which also seems to fail frequently. Either way, I wonder if something else could be the culprit here. Turbo oiling system?

#22 ·
The thing that is really annoying with ford and its not the first time they have done it is how they pretend nothing is wrong when you know full when you truck is not running right. If they went we know its not right but we don't have a fix yet it would be much less frustrating. Their attitude of hoping you just put up with it til your warranty is done is one the biggest ways they kill their own sales. They could be so much more if they showed a little respect for the present customer instead of focusing on the next sale

#31 ·
Amen Brother!!! Just went through heck with Mac Haik Ford here in Houston last week. All over a set of tires. They ruined a relationship over a set of freaking tires!!!!:confused:

I think my Turbo just died. I was getting off of the highway and all of a sudden sounded like some grinding and smoke and went to a crawl. No codes, no leaks (that I could see). Tow driver said he thought it was a turbo as well since they go through so many. Son of a... Was leaving on vacation Friday, looks like we are taking the Volvo.

Damn man, that really sucks! Let us know what they tell you.

#24 ·
The f450 pickup is the same, it's the cab and chassis that are different. Our f450 is a c&c and that's why I haven't gotten the guts to tune it because if turbo issues.
Are there still no aftermarket drop in turbo's yet?

#26 ·
sure there are, but compared to the number of trucks, while disapointing its hardly the end of the world. even rickatics bad experience with the fuel system, while showcasing a really crappy attitude from ford has hardly become an epidemic of trucks broken down on the side of the road. As much as I like my Fords and wish I could afford a new pickup and edge sport for the wife I can't. its deeply disapointing to see and hear how so often they abandon the customer they already have in favor of trying to lure in new ones. FORD WHAT IS WRONG WITH BEING LOYAL TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO YOU?

#29 ·
The older ford diesel's had some problems but i must agree on some of the previous post , I'm not sold on the 6.7 everyone can test that bad boy but ford has alot to iron out and this scorpion is supposed to be better than the international built powerstrokes **** i would be surprised if the 6.7 could run a 300 hp tune like the 6.4 on stock internals or would you have to worry about rod failure , or turbo failure or fuel failure , not trying to start a 6.4 vs 6.7 debate, just stating my OPINION, more serious expensive stuff is going wrong on the scorpion motor .but hey if Ford is replacing stuff under warranty and no ones out of money for stuff that was supposed to be tested so thoroughly , let them keep doing warranty work

#30 · (Edited)
I think my Turbo just died. I was getting off of the highway and all of a sudden sounded like some grinding and smoke and went to a crawl. No codes, no leaks (that I could see). Tow driver said he thought it was a turbo as well since they go through so many. Son of a... Was leaving on vacation Friday, looks like we are taking the Volvo.

#33 ·
Best of luck SGT93. I'm keeping my fingers crossed my will be okay but every now and then I think the turbo squeaks when I shut the truck off.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#34 ·
Thanks brother. It will be at least a week before I get her in. I don't have the time before I leave on vacation.

#36 ·
Go figure it happens right before vacation but on a good note it didn't go out while you were driving it on vacation that would have been worse. Let us all know the results when you get back and get it fixed

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.