A bit of advice on an ordered F250 Super Duty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A bit of advice on an ordered F250 Super Duty

Im ordering a 2012 Ford F250SD in a few weeks (diesel of course), and I have some questions for you. Here is how the tentative order looks on this truck:

6.7L diesel, XLT Premium Pkg, 3.31 rear end, back up camera, remote start, splash guards, and powerscope mirrors. I didn't order a 5th wheel prep package because I already have bed rails.

So, on to the questions:

First, I cannot order a 2012 F250SD in the XLT package with 20" wheels, so I found some on ebay that I am going to buy. Would the 20" tire/wheel combination work well with 3.31 gears? I won't be pulling over 10000 lbs and I want to get good fuel economy. Also, anyone recommend electronic locking rear end over stock open differential?

Second, I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel in a long box. I don't use the long box very often. I am considering buying this Ford with the short box instead of the long box due to the overall length of the truck. Anybody have recommendations or regrets with their trucks regarding short box vs long box (do you regret your decision)?

Last, with the short box, the truck only comes with a 26 gallon fuel tank. It doesn't seem like a huge deal, but I average 25k to 28k miles a year..... Does this small tank annoy you short box owners?

I don't want to beat these decisions to death, but I only buy a new truck every 6 or 7 years, and I want to do this right. Any suggestions from you would help. Let me know if I am overlooking something.....

I appreciate the help!

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 AM

dont get push to start your truckk will get 10 mpg
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you get a truck with 3.31 gears and put 20" factory wheels on your speedo/odometer/MTE, etc will be off. The trucks computer won't accept that combo as it's not available from the factory. Couple guys have tried and said it was off about 10% and you get a CEL if you change the truck's computer to 20" wheels.

Pretty stupid if you ask me but some bean counter at Ford thought this was a good idea I guess. Also, you can't change the tire size to anything over 34" without getting the same results, even with a tuner. That's even more stupid.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
The 20" rim size has nothing to do with the speedo its the tire size. As long as your run the same size diameter tire, changing the rim size won't do anything. The 20's usually come with 34" tires and my xlt with 18's came with 33.2's. So the inch isn't a huge difference. If the rims come with the 34" tires, I would run them till they are gone and replace them with a tire closer to stock. I ran the stock 20's with 34" tires on my 05 couldn't tell the difference.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM

I realize the actual wheel has nothing to do with the speedo. I figured it was obvious it would be the change in tire size that would create the difference and didn't think that needed stated. Apparently I was wrong in assuming everyone knew the 20" wheels came with a larger tire....

That said, In the trucks computer the dealer can't just change the tire size. It's a list of wheel size choices. The 20" wheel comes with a taller tire than the 18" does, no way around it, other than changing the 20" tire out for a smaller one to match the oem 18" tires. Most people don't change the tires out and end up with a problem.

There has been a couple threads on various forums lately about this same issue and the dealer can't fix it. With 3.31 gears you're limited to a 33" tire in the trucks computer, and all factory 20" wheels come with 34" tires. That inch in overall height will make your speedo/odometer noticeably wrong along with your MTE and fuel economy readout. That's all I was trying to say. Just something to consider before ordering 3.31 gears if you want the 20" wheels as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Why dont you pick up a lariat on dealer lot, here in so cal they 8-10k off msrp, seems with your options a better way to go....the small tank sucks...I drive 25-30k a year and constantly looking to fill up, but a long bed crew cab is looong buy the shortbed and call transfer fuel
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 PM

26gal tank when towing is retarded, mine gets 9mpg towing my trailer, giving me a 200mi range.... My speedo and lie-o-meter were off from the factory, I now have 35" tires and it is dead on.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 AM

I got a 2012 350 reg. Cab that came with 18s and I put a set of factory 20s on it that I got from eBay.Dealer adjusted tire size and reprogramed for the tpms and it's right on with my Garmin. If you get some from EBay make sure they have the factory tpms in them.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperwagonbob View Post
I got a 2012 350 reg. Cab that came with 18s and I put a set of factory 20s on it that I got from eBay.Dealer adjusted tire size and reprogramed for the tpms and it's right on with my Garmin. If you get some from EBay make sure they have the factory tpms in them.

If you have the 3.55 gears you can do that, as it was an option from the factory. 3.31 gears and 20" wheels/tires were not a factory option.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Yep, I got 3.55e locker. Guess that's why it worked.

Last edited by hopperwagonbob; 07-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.