6.7 vs. Used 6.4 vs Eco-Boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 vs. Used 6.4 vs Eco-Boost

As the title suggests, it is time for a second work truck (current truck is 7.3) and I am considering either a new 6.7 or a used 6.4 or new Eco-boost with tow max package. The truck will be used as a daily driver that commutes to and from job sites and tows 6k-10k maybe 1-2 times a week. I do not plan on doing any mods to any of the 3. Here is where I stand on the 3 options and would love to hear what everyone else's opinions or experience is.

1) New 6.7 - Looks great, drives great, ideal for what I am looking for. My hesitation is that I would have to make monthly payments and still a little weary of jumping into the first couple years of the new power train. What does everyone think of the new engine and tranny?

2) Used 6.4 - Sold one about 6 months ago because it was never being used and not needed at the time. Had 50k on it and only issue was the DPF which was replaced and then ran fine. I won't be doing any of the deletes, will this engine be more or less reliable then the 6.7?

3) Eco-boost - with Tow max package. An employee has one configured exactly how I want it and admittedly I was very very impressed with just about everything. Seems like the best DD option and he even allowed me to tow about 6.5k with his and I was shocked at how well it pulled, almost better than the 7.3 I currently tow with daily. My biggest concern is burning out the drivetrain with how often a tow a decent load.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any reason you didn't consider the superduty with the 6.2? I'm no towing expert but it seems like the extra weight of the superdudy would make for a more stable towing machine plus the 6.2 has more power than the EB.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Don't you worry about it

I would probably do the 6.2 as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

why are yall saying 6.2 over 6.7? I think I would go for the 6.7 if you can swing it. If you did the deletes, the 6.4 because it would be cheaper. I wouldnt feel comfortable towing much over 7000lbs with an f150
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If am going to go with the superduty I definetely want the added power as well as gas mileage from the 6.7 vs the 6.2. Plus I put A lot of miles (about 60k) a year on my cars and want the added longevity and realiability of a diesel.

Thanks for the input, and I am thinking what everyone else seems to be about the EB, that the f-150 is just not big enough. If I didn't tow as often I would go that route.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Don't you worry about it

I think the 6.2 would be far more reliable than the 6.7
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
I think the 6.2 would be far more reliable than the 6.7
I echo this statement. Diesels are no longer what they used to be and just thinking about getting the job done, gas is definitely the way to go now. Gas engines are not getting re-invented as much as diesels seem to be. The only reason I still drive a diesel is because it's fun to tune and play with. The money I save with better fuel mileage over a gas engine is more than lost in initial cost, maintenance, and ridiculously expensive repairs.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikePilot View Post
I echo this statement. Diesels are no longer what they used to be and just thinking about getting the job done, gas is definitely the way to go now. Gas engines are not getting re-invented as much as diesels seem to be. The only reason I still drive a diesel is because it's fun to tune and play with. The money I save with better fuel mileage over a gas engine is more than lost in initial cost, maintenance, and ridiculously expensive repairs.
It is interesting to hear these responses on this forum, but I appreciate the honest opinions. I haven't drove a superduty with the 6.2 yet, does this engine move this heavy truck pretty good? What about towing with it compared to the diesel? I feel like with the difference in the torque curve it might feel sluggish.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 PM

I dont belive that the 6.2 is more reliable than a 6.7....
but for sure the mileage is really bad on a 6.2,my friend has a cc/sb 2wd 6.2 and getting 13mpg empty !
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would go for the 6.4. I am on my 2nd 6.7 and wish I would how just found a clean used 6.4. I have a buddy with the 6.2 in an F250 4X4 CC SB and he said the best he has done was about 12 MPG on the HWY!

I have another buddy with an F150 Raptor that has the 6.2 and it rips! When I ask what kind of MPG's he was getting he say he did not have a clue and did not care! He said when he's looking for MPG's he drives his wife Focus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.