Fuel economy question-Does this sound right? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel economy question-Does this sound right?

Hi folks,

I've been driving my new to me F250, 2011 for about 3 weeks now. According to the in dash display, I am getting an average of only 14.5-15.0 mpg. I haven't been "laying into it" much, and try to drive pretty conservatively, keeping the tach around 1500-1700 rpms. I've driven about 900 miles since getting the truck, with about 60/40 hwy/city driving. All this is while not towing anything.

I have the Lariat package, F250, 6.7L, 3.55 gears in the back.

Some of the reports I've been reading make me think that the mileage I'm getting is a bit low; it seems like others seem to get about 16 city/20 hwy, and I'm not even close to that, even looking at the instant fuel economy meter while doing 65 down the hwy.

What are your thoughts? Does this sound right? Should I try using some fuel additive to help?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You really need to check your milage at the pump. The DIC (digital information center) is not as accurate as you might thing. To put it plainly, don't think with your DIC! lol My lie-o-meter says I get 24mph at 72mph. Actually, it's about 21.5. Do some hand calculations at the pump before you start spending money on fuel additives.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamax View Post
You really need to check your milage at the pump. The DIC (digital information center) is not as accurate as you might thing. To put it plainly, don't think with your DIC! lol My lie-o-meter says I get 24mph at 72mph. Actually, it's about 21.5. Do some hand calculations at the pump before you start spending money on fuel additives.
How were you able to determine you get 21.5 mpg at 72 mph without using the DIC? Just curious.

From what I've seen on my approx. 3 fillups, the average over the tank seems pretty accurate with what the DIC says.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM

Take the number of miles you've driven and divide it by the number of gallons you put in the tank. If you have gps, it should give you an average speed during your trip so that you can say "I get xx.x mpg at xx miles an hour."
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tip--I know how to calculate fuel economy... He just made it seems like he had a magic way of coming up with the instant mpg. Unfortunately, I don't have GPS, but taking the miles driven over gallons consumed should be effective enough.

Just seems like most folks seem to be getting in the 20 range on the hwy with these things.

I have heard maybe it takes a while for the engine to be broken in, and that this could change over time. I do only have 19,500 on her!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Don't believe everything you read on the forums. There's guys on the Cummins forums claiming to get over 20 mpg also.

You can keep a running account of your fuel economy on feully.com. It's free. All you have to do is enter how many miles you have on your truck at each fill-up, how many gallons you put in, and the cost per gallon. The website will track your fuel economy and keep track of how much it's costing you per mile to drive your truck.

Since signing up on Feully, I ride my bike more often.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post
Thanks for the tip--I know how to calculate fuel economy... He just made it seems like he had a magic way of coming up with the instant mpg. Unfortunately, I don't have GPS, but taking the miles driven over gallons consumed should be effective enough.

Just seems like most folks seem to be getting in the 20 range on the hwy with these things.

I have heard maybe it takes a while for the engine to be broken in, and that this could change over time. I do only have 19,500 on her!
Well.. there is a magic way of getting instant fuel mileage... lol when you set the crusie at lets say 72mph reset your mpg calculator on the screen. it will adjust and give you instant fuel economy. this what i do.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM

My avg around town is always 14 to 14.5 according to the computer. I can however easily get 20+ on the highway... again according to the comuter. I haven't ever checked it by hand.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM

According to my computer I'm getting 23-24 at 75mph . I think my truck secretly wants to be a jetta
Old 06-26-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideygsm View Post
Don't believe everything you read on the forums. There's guys on the Cummins forums claiming to get over 20 mpg also.

You can keep a running account of your fuel economy on feully.com. It's free. All you have to do is enter how many miles you have on your truck at each fill-up, how many gallons you put in, and the cost per gallon. The website will track your fuel economy and keep track of how much it's costing you per mile to drive your truck.

Since signing up on Feully, I ride my bike more often.
I use an app on my phone called Gas Cubby to track all of mine. Pretty handy thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.