Towing with a car dolly. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing with a car dolly.

Ok here is my question. My son will be coming home from Korea in a month and then goes to ft. Riley ks. He plans on buying a truck here in Florida before he leaves so I can help him out with the purchase so he doesn't get screwed over. My plan is to haul the truck to ks with my F350. He hasn't driven for almost 2 years and i'm not sure about him driving to ks by himself. I could ride with him and fly home, but the wife and I plan on making a few stop on the way back to see her family and hit the night races at Bristol. He wants a F150, probably 08, 09 extend cab. What kind of dolly would I need for something like this? Is this a safe way to haul that far? Thanks for any help or insight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM

i think it should be ok as long as the trailer is rated for the weight but in my opinion the best way if availiable is loading it up on a goosneck
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Some of those dollies look super sketchy. Don't think I've ever seen anything larger than a sedan on one of those. I know U-Haul has some car trailers, not dollies that you can rent. Not sure if a full size truck will fit on that either. You can also check with the dealership in Florida if they can ship the truck down to Kansas. They get way better pricing on car transportation than private individuals. I priced out shipping a car from Canada to Scottsdale, AZ and the cheapest I was able to do it was $3300 and ETA was 7-10 days. Called the dealership that I bought the car from and they had it in AZ in 3 days and was $1500. If you're road tripping out to Kansas anyways to visit family on the way back, why not just buy a truck in Kansas?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM

safest and cheapest would probably be to hop on craigslist and buy a car trailer. You could sell it after the trip if you wanted and recoup the cost and ten bajillion times safer than a CAR dolly
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
safest and cheapest would probably be to hop on craigslist and buy a car trailer. You could sell it after the trip if you wanted and recoup the cost and ten bajillion times safer than a CAR dolly
X2 or even keep it a year make a few simple upgrades on trailer and sell for a nice profit. You would be surprised how well trailers can hold value.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM

Hell I made several hundred on a trailer that I kept for about a year and got a lot of use out of

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input. How do I go about figuring out what size trailer I would need?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM

What's the wheelbase of the biggest thing you would tow? Max weight? I think you should be safe with a 18 ft, 7000lb max tandem axle

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

For sh!ts and giggles I looked on uhauls website to see what they had to offer. The tandem axle car hauler they offer was not recommended for a F150. I don't want to buy something that I will have to haul around behind me for the remainder of my trip. The kid may have to down size to a ranger lol.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Steve, what about looking on line to see if there are any trucks around Ft Riley, drive him there, help get him a truck and take your time driving back? No towing. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.