About to be on turbo #3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to be on turbo #3

10k miles after my first turbo replacement I'm going to need another one. The bearings are about to go. I anticipated this about 1k miles earlier. The surging while towing and the really high-pitched whine was back. Now I have the low-pitched whine like the last time it blown back in March. It still makes boost and has not started smoking but it is starting to rattle. It is down on power though. I parked it and got my trusty '98 Mercedes E300 turbo diesel with 335k on the clock, still on the original turbo, injectors.....

These turbos are junk, junk I tell you. Please someone tell me there is an updated turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This not very incouraging, I was thinking only the cab/chassis small turbos were giving problems. My turbo went out at 34K and this one has been starting an intermitent whine at 44K. I was planning to eventually upgrade to the Regular Turbo to end the headache. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Sounds like me. First one went out at 36k now I'm at 47k
Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Knock on wood.. I have a 2011 Job 1 truck that I bought in 2010, I haven't had an issue yet with my turbo, but seeing more and more on here is kind of making me worry! Do you guys return your trucks to stock before you take them in for issues like this?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:20 PM

Not trying to be a smartass but how can you hear the 'whine' from the turbo? It must be pretty loud? All I can hear from my truck is exhaust and tires. My truck seems to be fine, or at least I think so and I can't tell any difference in the engine/turbo. It does drive a bit different now with the .19 update from H&S but otherwise it always drives the same.

It would be nice to know when the turbo is starting to fail ahead of time. Any additional info/details on what we could look/listen for would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking forward to returning my truck back to stock to get a new turbo.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine is stock, just got new DPF yesterday, and that was hard to do, but since I still have warranty I'm protecting it. If I was to change anything, I would start with the turbo, but even though all I want is a Regular Ford Turbo, they said my warranty would be History.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM

I second what Andrew said... Would it be possible for anyone with turbo issues to upload a sound or video clip so others know exactly what to look/listen for?

Sent from my VS910 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM

One other thing, what do you mean by 'hasn't started smoking yet but has started rattling'? The rattling part is fairly self explanatory but smoking? Smoking under the hood or?

Again, seriously not being a smartass.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only advance warning on mine was after shutting engine off, on occasion as the turbo was spooling down I would hear the whine/grind of a bad bearing sound.
When the turbo failed, it idled fine but had the sound like a dry powersteering pump and/or alternator. This was the main time I missed a Voltmeter. When I revved it up I noticed Zero boost pressure and sluggish. Mine didn't smoke while I limped it home, but did smoke the next morning on way to dealership. (out the pipe) but only for about 1/4 mile.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I looked at the old one and the thrushaft bearings had failed and it was wobbling around in housing.
No worries about sounding like a Smartass, That was a Fair Question. Glad to be able to help any way possible. That's what makes this Forums so Great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.