Want diesel, but is it a good idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want diesel, but is it a good idea?

Over the past 6 months I have been on an ongoing search for a new truck, preferably a 2012 F-350 CCSB Lariat with the 6.7L. Both myself and my wife have our own company vehicles, hers that we can drive whenever/whereever we want, mine can only be driven for business purposes only and with company personel only, no family/friends. With that said, we only drove about 4,000 miles this past year with my personal truck. Will this lack of driving do any harm to a diesel motor that won't be done to a gas motor? What could a negative outcome be caused by very little driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My opinion... a smaller diesel would probably be more appropriate for low mileage. These trucks are built to be used/worked and it seems that a lot of issues are with the light duty applications. I would be concerned about condensation in the tank, lines and the fact that the diesel is a workhorse design and not being used as such the engine rings/seals may not seat well ending up a low mileage vehicle with performance issues, my .02.

(That should get some feedback!!!)

Personally, unless needing something to pull a heavy item, I would probably save the extra $$ spent on a diesel engine and get the mac daddy gas rig!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post

Personally, unless needing something to pull a heavy item, I would probably save the extra $$ spent on a diesel engine and get the mac daddy gas rig!!
I 100% agree. If you aren't towing anything, a diesel is just a waste of money. You'd be better served with a gas powered 1/2 ton
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

unless you just want to go fast

I love having vans for some reason. sleeper, roomy, can haul stuff when need be.dont think I'll ever go back to a truck. Wife has the F250 6.0, I have the E350 6.0. Hers hauls the kids and does whatever towing work our family needs to do(minimal) Mine is diesel because A supercharged E150 would cost more and have worse suspension then a stock 6.0 and the 6.0 is faster with a tune then the aftermarket supercharged gasser vans. Save money, go faster, have more van. I am happy with my choice.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM

If I was in your posistion OP, I wouldn't hesitate to go buy a new f150 eco boost!!! They are sweet, they start easily when cold, they put down 365 hp from factory, and the newer tuning coming out will get them over 425 hp easily. Hands down in my eyes.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 AM

If you can't justify a 3/4 ton then you can't justify a diesel.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 AM

If you have money and not just a lot of credit, and you want it, sure, go for it. Don't expect anything on it to be cheap, even just sitting there. Still have to maintain it.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you don't tow, then I would get the Raptor!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 PM

^^^^agree. If I didn't have to tow anything I would of got a raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 06-20-2012, 04:08 AM

OP doesn't tell how he uses his trucks.
I see others that only use their trucks for weekend warriors and they sit a lot during the week. Truck will be fine.

I personally think if you are buying one of these trucks with the 6.7L you really should get the F350 and need that heavy of a truck.

The F150 are pulling water ski & fishing boats, hauling lawn mowers in for service, grabing a few sheets of plywood for projects, and doing it with easier parking, and cheaper.

If you are pulling a 8,000 lb or bigger trailer. then I go ahead and get the SuperDuty. I'm not a fan of the guys that get the biggest baddest truck to go get groceries in. These trucks are way too big and heavy to make serious 4x4 off road vehicles out of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.