We don't have "exhaust brakes"!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
We don't have "exhaust brakes"!!

Ever since I got my truck I've been really disappointed with the "exhaust brake", or should I say lack thereof. An exhaust brake increases exhaust back pressure and makes the engine harder to turn due to the work needed by the pistons to push the exhaust out against that pressure.

The dodge and chevy trucks increase exhaust back pressure by closing the turbo veins. This would increase the turbo speed and create boost, no? There is no such increase in boost in my truck, aside from the normal increase of a few pounds that you get in any turbo diesel engine when down shifting. My truck down shifts, but there is no additional resistance that I can detect in addition to the shift. NONE!!!

I'd bet the engineers didn't really put one in this truck because it would turn the turbo faster and this turbo is pretty weak. That's my best guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM

i think its more of an engine brake, thats what my ecoboost 150 had when in tow/haul it just downshifted soon and reved up the rpms to slow it down and did it more based on how hard u pushed the break down
Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 AM

Haven't towed with my truck but I will post back when I do. I know someone that used their powerstroke for work and tows all the time. He said his works great.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

your truck uses a coast clutch inside the trans to provide additional engine braking. Much safer than the exhaust brakes you mentioned. It works very well and is calibrated through the PCM based on load and driver input.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 AM

Closing the veins wouldn't necessarily increase boost. If there's no exhaust flow or a small amount of exhaust flow then there's nothing to spool the turbo up. Shutting down the veins just restricts the flow.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 AM

Creating boost is counter productive to engine braking as that boost pressure is trying to turn the engine on the intake stroke.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 AM

I don't know that it's actually exhaust braking, but in tow/haul mode the truck does very well in braking a heavy rig going downhill. And the anti-sway stuff and anti-lock stuff really works well. I've had occasion to use it when some little sports car forgets the laws of physics.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 AM

making boost is further restriction on the turbo

the 6.7 Cummins exhaust brake is a beast and is perfectly safe. It works awesome, the turbo screams and it does produce boost
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
making boost is further restriction on the turbo

the 6.7 Cummins exhaust brake is a beast and is perfectly safe. It works awesome, the turbo screams and it does produce boost
I hope you guys don't mind me giving some input being a PS troll. If you're driving a Cummins above about 45 mph or faster and push the exhaust brake button, you can hear the back pressure sound in the turbo and it will slow down the vehicle but you still have to use the brakes if you plan on stopping.

The exhaust brake on the Cummins works best in conjunction with the tow/haul mode. It will actually stop the truck. You can hear the exhaust brake working.

Does the Ford 6.7 work similar.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideygsm View Post
I hope you guys don't mind me giving some input being a PS troll. If you're driving a Cummins above about 45 mph or faster and push the exhaust brake button, you can hear the back pressure sound in the turbo and it will slow down the vehicle but you still have to use the brakes if you plan on stopping.

The exhaust brake on the Cummins works best in conjunction with the tow/haul mode. It will actually stop the truck. You can hear the exhaust brake working.

Does the Ford 6.7 work similar.
No - for one you cannot turn the exhaust brake on and off. Secondly there is no sound associated with it. I do know that the Ford is far better at holding back than my '03 GMC was, which did not have an exhaust brake. There is one particular hill that is over 10 miles long that I have towed my RV on with both trucks. The '03 GM revved to 5000 rpm in 1st gear going down that hill where as the Ford needs to be fed a little fuel to prevent it from slowing down too much in 3rd gear and 3000 rpm. In 4th gear the Ford continues to accelerate past 65 mph so I need to slow all the way down to 45 mph before I can get it to shift into 3rd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.