Exhaust breaking system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust breaking system

had anybody try exhaust breaking on 6.7L? If so, i'd like to know how good it works? I know it should work in tow mode, but i tried on mine and couldn't feel any difference. Should i hear it when engine break is engaged? maybe it doesn't work when you don't actually tow anything. If anybody had experience pulling heavy trailers, please describe how good engine break is holding when going downhill. I did a research and learned that cummins has stronger exhaust breaking system than duramax or powerstroke.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I owned a 6.7 dodge diesel and the exhaustbrake is way better. Not even comparable to the Ford. My buddy has a dmax and it is way better too. I have a 10k 5th wheel and in tow haul it doesn't hardly do anything. Tranny just shifts down. The fuel tank size and lack of braking power are my only two complants about the truck.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM

I was reading a post on here about the same thing a few days ago. several people were trying to explain it and take up for Ford on this issue. however, I have pulled some very heavy loads with mine, and the so called exhaust brake on these trucks is horrible! like he just said, the only thing it does is down shift. first off, if it was a true exhaust brake, you would see boost pressure gains while braking, and it would also work when in manual shift mode. love my truck, but can't wait until the aftermarket industry releases some real Jake brakes for these monsters

When in doubt, mash on it....and don't stop till you smell sh!t or hear glass break!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Manually down shift it in tow haul mode and keep the rpm's up over 2000 and it works better. The higher the rpm's the better it works.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I thought they didn't have an exhaust brake? Tow haul mode down shifts when your on the brakes to help with slowing down and holds gears longer to get heavy loads moving. Coming from my 04 and 05 trucks to my 2010 and 2012 the older trucks downshifted more aggressively to slow down where the new trucks dont down shift nearly as hard. Idk why they changed how it works. It really helped out on the old trucks and now it hardly does anything.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM

The reverse power of an engine can be calculated by multiplying the displacement of the engine times the engines rpm times the back pressure. The greater any of these values the greater the amount of reverse power that will be generated. The engine displacement is already determined. The back pressure can be increased by utilizing an exhaust brake and the engine rpm can be raised by designing a transmission that will have a gear ratio that will raise the engine close to the red line at the speed an exhaust brake is most likely going to be used at. Each of these variable is exactly as important as the next in performing engine braking. So much of the Ford's exhaust brake is already designed into the truck (maximum back pressure is determined by the strength of the exhaust valve springs; the red line of the engine is already determined; the displacement- already determined; transmission gear ratio and therefore engine rpm is already determined) that I don't expect to see a huge improvement in an aftermarket exhaust brake's performance. To get adequate exhaust braking with my truck I find that I have to get the truck to shift down into 3rd gear - this means slowing to 45 mph at which point the truck can shift without over revving the engine and it holds back very well. Because the different gear ratio's of the trucks the speed at which the exhaust brake is most effective is quite different. Dodge and GM are similarly geared.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 AM

Exhaust break = You need to buy a new one!

Exhaust brake = Something that helps slow the truck down
Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrated View Post
Exhaust break = You need to buy a new one!

Exhaust brake = Something that helps slow the truck down
that's what I was thinking the whole time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Oilfield Trash View Post
I was reading a post on here about the same thing a few days ago. several people were trying to explain it and take up for Ford on this issue. however, I have pulled some very heavy loads with mine, and the so called exhaust brake on these trucks is horrible! like he just said, the only thing it does is down shift. first off, if it was a true exhaust brake, you would see boost pressure gains while braking, and it would also work when in manual shift mode. love my truck, but can't wait until the aftermarket industry releases some real Jake brakes for these monsters

When in doubt, mash on it....and don't stop till you smell sh!t or hear glass break!
You gonna put a jake on top of each valve cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.