New to Super Duty Trucks and Diesel Engines......need guidance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Super Duty Trucks and Diesel Engines......need guidance

Hey fellas, I have some questions.......I just recently traded my Dodge 1500 2wd (which I loved) for a 2011 F250 4x4 with the 6.7 (which I love so far). My new ride is an XLT with a lift, I'm thinking a three inch, but I'm not sure with 20 inch after market wheels and Nitto 295/65/20 big dumb looking mud tires. I was told the mileage with the 6.7 would be about 20-21 mpg, needless to say I was disappointed with the 12.7 mpg I'm actually getting. I just towed my toy hauler about 400 miles round trip and got a whooping 7.5 mpg, same as I was getting with my 09 Dodge. The toy hauler is 26 foot and weighs around 8k lbs. I have been driving ultra conservative. The only thing I can think of are the stupid soft mud tires. I like the look and stance of the truck, will a different type of tire the same size help me with fuel mileage?

Also, the dealer told me to change the oil every 5k miles, but the book says every 7.5k. My guess is Ford is just trying to make an extra penny, but I want to be sure. The engine has zero after market mods and I'm gonna keep it that way for now, I would rather pay a little more for fuel rather than screwing up this motor. Any words of advice from the sensei's of all that is the 6.7 Powerstroke would be appreciated.

Drew

Last edited by skyfuzz; 06-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

I changed mine at 7400 and only thing had to do before that mark was the DEF tank refill at 5k.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm wondering if, after the lift/tires/whatever you've done to it, if you adjusted the speedo to match the new size. Otherwise, numbers and mileage would be off.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:33 PM

I've been getting 18-20 city and 22-24 highway non pulling, its a 2wd eclb with the 6.7l .... Ive been averaging 700 miles per tank and that's half highway half city, keep the boost under 10 on every shift so slow starts and around 63 mph which will put you around 1500 rpm I have a thread called creatin chaos that talks about the 6.7, also figure out what gear you have in your rear end, I believe mine is a 3.34 ill go check tonight
Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM

It's a 3.31 rear gear with the 6 speed auto trans
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM

hmm well tires and lift probaly have alot to do with it my guess is the nitto tires u have are mud grapplers cause i know the trail grapplers would not drop it that much
Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought the truck used with the lift/wheels/tires already installed. I did not even think about having Ford recalibrate the computer for the bigger wheels and tires. The tires are Nitto Trail Grappler 295/65R/20s. Apparently these are the only tires on the planet made in this size. KK, do you use the same tires? If so, what are your results? Thanks for all the input thus far.

Drew
Old 06-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Tires and lift will make a huge difference if the truck is stock, the wider the tire the more friction/ and resistant on the road way... Take my 02 for example, I'm running 22.5 alcoas but I have a very thin road radial tire for less tire resistants when I drive and that truck has an 8" lift and I still get 17 mpgs but I am also running a mild/hot tune and its not stock, straight exhaust with no restrictions
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfuzz View Post
I bought the truck used with the lift/wheels/tires already installed. I did not even think about having Ford recalibrate the computer for the bigger wheels and tires. The tires are Nitto Trail Grappler 295/65R/20s. Apparently these are the only tires on the planet made in this size. KK, do you use the same tires? If so, what are your results? Thanks for all the input thus far.

Drew
i dont have experience personally with a superduty i will be getting my lift wheels and tires on my new superduty next month but on my 2011 f150 ecoboost i totaled last month i had 20x9 wheels with 33in nitto trailgrapplers with a 2.5 in level kit and it dropped my gas mileage about 2-3 mpg and i never reproggrammed my speedo but it was dead accurate with the new stuff but my mpg and DTE were inaccurate
Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I understand the whole rolling resistance thing, my guess was that could be the issue. I definitely want to have the calibration looked at, not that it will make a huge difference in the check book, I would just like so have some sort of idea. KK, sucks you total the 150, I hope everyone was okay.

one other question I have is fuel tank size, this one seems to be huge. They told me 36 gallons at the dealer. I filled up at a quarter tank and I put in 39 gallons, I'm no genius, but I'm thinking a 39 is more than 36. I have looked and looked for optional Ford fuel tanks and have not found a thing........needless to say I'm getting use to this fuel shock thing.......I'm just happy knowing every time I fill up some tree huger somewhere is crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.