First Post Here - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Post Here

First Post Here

Hey Guys,

Bout to pull the trigger on a '12 F350. Been wanting to convert to diesel for years, and the time has come. I have test driven them all, there were things I liked and disliked when comparing the BIG 3, but I kept coming back to the Ford.

The DMax's power felt similar to that of Ford IMO, and Chevy kept my interest due to the Allison, but that was it. Chevy's interior is a complete wash IMO, I have owned a number of Chevy's, and I need change...it's just too dull compared with the others. I have the tire/wheel combo picked out which consists of 40X15.50/20 Toyo's. I didn't even want to mess with an IFS lift on the Chevy this time.

The Dodge, will have to be honest...the Cummins motor was hard to keep turning my back on due to its solid proven platform, and simplicity. Interior depending on model was okay, looks to me is well..."required taste" that is hard to warm toward. Also, based off the Cummins forum, i'm really not liking what I have been reading on Dodge's front end "death wobble" issues that still haunt this auto maker...even, without a lift. I have owned 2 Dodges in the past, and do have experience with this. One thing about Dodge though is they have serious support in the suspension department regarding aftermarket companies that rail the **** out of these trucks...Kore/Carli/Thuren, which seem to favor these models. Love what they are doing with these trucks.

I'm looking at Fabtech's 10" Radius Arm lift, and Pure Performance's 8" lift...Still researching Radius Arm VS 4 Link Kits, and for some reason, the radius arm seems more durable, along with Springs vs Coil Overs when I'm in the trails. Yes, I will be using this, this will not be a trailer queen.

Quick question for any who actually made it reading this far - For those with the Tuners, Deleting everything under the sun, or whatever else mods you guys are doing: Are you keeping your stock **** for when you have a date with the DEQ?

Oh yea, this will be my first Ford

Thanks Guys,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm probably not the guy you want to hear from. My trucks are pretty much stock. I don't want a lift, because it affect my ability to tow the many trailers I pull. Plus I'm in and out of the bed multiple times every day. It doesn't need to be any harder to climb into.

As far as emissions. Mine have been a non-event. The truck is clean burning, adding DEF is a simple step once every 5000 miles or there about. The regens are not even noticeable. The truck has plenty of power for the work I ask it to do every day. It gets better mileage than any previous Superduty that I've owned.

Im not against people modifying their trucks to reflect their own personality. But for me, it's more about practicality and usefulness of the upgrade.

You will enjoy it. It is a great product
Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackin View Post
First Post Here

Hey Guys,

Bout to pull the trigger on a '12 F350. Been wanting to convert to diesel for years, and the time has come. I have test driven them all, there were things I liked and disliked when comparing the BIG 3, but I kept coming back to the Ford.

The DMax's power felt similar to that of Ford IMO, and Chevy kept my interest due to the Allison, but that was it. Chevy's interior is a complete wash IMO, I have owned a number of Chevy's, and I need change...it's just too dull compared with the others. I have the tire/wheel combo picked out which consists of 40X15.50/20 Toyo's. I didn't even want to mess with an IFS lift on the Chevy this time.

The Dodge, will have to be honest...the Cummins motor was hard to keep turning my back on due to its solid proven platform, and simplicity. Interior depending on model was okay, looks to me is well..."required taste" that is hard to warm toward. Also, based off the Cummins forum, i'm really not liking what I have been reading on Dodge's front end "death wobble" issues that still haunt this auto maker...even, without a lift. I have owned 2 Dodges in the past, and do have experience with this. One thing about Dodge though is they have serious support in the suspension department regarding aftermarket companies that rail the **** out of these trucks...Kore/Carli/Thuren, which seem to favor these models. Love what they are doing with these trucks.

I'm looking at Fabtech's 10" Radius Arm lift, and Pure Performance's 8" lift...Still researching Radius Arm VS 4 Link Kits, and for some reason, the radius arm seems more durable, along with Springs vs Coil Overs when I'm in the trails. Yes, I will be using this, this will not be a trailer queen.

Quick question for any who actually made it reading this far - For those with the Tuners, Deleting everything under the sun, or whatever else mods you guys are doing: Are you keeping your stock **** for when you have a date with the DEQ?

Oh yea, this will be my first Ford

Thanks Guys,
Ron
As far as durability you won't get much better than the 8" Pure Performance setups. I too am not a big fan of coilovers from a complexity standpoint. If you plan to stick with a narrow 40" on a reasonable wheel then the 8" kit would do pretty good. I run the 4" kit and 37's on my 08 without any rubbing. The key is the wheel width and backspacing. The newer Pure kits will be coming with a offset block that centers the axle in the wheel well to limit rubbing on the back of opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.