Help me justify a 6.7 F250!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me justify a 6.7 F250!!!

Good day all,

I am in the market for a 3/4 ton diesel. Obviously I'm speaking to a very Ford-friendly crowd but I'd like to hear why I should purchase the Ford over the GM product. I've done a bit of research and have compiled a short list of what I consider to be advantages and disadvantages of each vehicle and would appreciate your help in making a decision.

Ford
Better exterior
Much better interior

GM
Proven reliability of Duramax/Allison combination
Winner of both Rumble in the Rockies and C&D HD comparisons
Slightly less expensive for "equivalent" features (although I recognize you simply can't get an equivalent interior on the GMC, the Denali is nowhere near in line with a King Ranch's interior).

The reality of my personal situation is this truck is going to be roughly 80% daily driver (20 miles each way), 15% tow the boat 50 miles to the lake, and 5% tow a travel trailer around the country. This honest assessment of how I plan to use the vehicle indicates that I could probably get by with a gasser 1/2 ton but I've had a couple of those; and always found myself downshifting while going uphill saying to myself "man I wish I had a diesel".

Since the vehicle will see more car duty than pull duty, the fact that I just like the way the Ford looks and drives more than the GMC gives Ford an obvious advantage. The fact that the only friend of mine who owned a diesel F250 went through 2 of them in under a year due to engine trouble (not the 6.7) leaves me very gunshy to make my first ever Ford purchase.

So I know I'm in Ford territory with many people who will never buy anything other than a Ford until the day they die, I'm good with that and would like to hear your opinion. I'm even more interested in hearing from people who were on the fence like me, and something about the Ford tipped their decision in Ford's favor.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's actually a couple threads where people drove both extensively before buying and did a good job of listing all the differences and likes/dislikes.

That being said, yes, there have been issues. Mainly with the 450s and 550s, and some tuning issues fixed in updates to the computers. But there's been lots of positives too.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
There's actually a couple threads where people drove both extensively before buying and did a good job of listing all the differences and likes/dislikes.

That being said, yes, there have been issues. Mainly with the 450s and 550s, and some tuning issues fixed in updates to the computers. But there's been lots of positives too.
Thank you for the reply, as a 6,000+ poster I'm sure you've seen more than your fair share of these. Just to assure you I'm not a completey lazy fool, I read back over 5 pages in this forum. I also did a few searches, but this one isn't as cut and dry as "6.0 failure". I found this nice comparison here: Decision CONFIRMED!! but for the most part my Chevy vs. Ford searches mostly bring me to Rumble in the Rockies comparisons threads.

I'll keep looking but it is still nice to hear from people who might not have previously posted about their experiences.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 AM

Get the Ford because you want it. Justification complete
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

stick with the options you like and the price that you want...you are not going to use this truck to its full potential as you so stated, any diesel will do what you are asking of it.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM

I drove all three. I read for over a year on this thread, the cummins and GMC threads. I looked at Consumer Reports ratings. I liked certain aspects of each of the big 3. I chose Ford (630 miles on mine right now) because:
- It looks awesome - like a beast. Others were mild in comparison and there was a certain angle that when I looked at the front of a Ram I didn't like it. I did like the Dodge's dually bed look. I decided to go SRW however.
- Interior fit, finish, appearance, and room. Ram had nice one too, GM was dead last for me. I like the rear seat room in the CC I have. And, the seats are comfortable for me.
- Package offerings from Ford - better fit my taste and desires.
- Smooth power delivery, great transmission feel. GM was close behind and the Ram was good, though that has been a weak point for them historically.
- 8' bed crew cab - The F350 on 20" wheels and big Michelins just looks badass and filled out to me. The 8' SRW offerings from GM and Ram didn't look as proportionally correct to me.
- Selection of ratios for rear end

So, 600 miles into it and I am giddy about it. Just wanna drive it all the time. First tank, horsing around - 15.6 hand calculated (16 meter). Current tank, over 100 miles on it (several small 10-20 miles trips - stop n go - 55 mph roads) - 19.5 on the meter. Was at 20.2 till I hit town and idled with some errands. I think this is fantastic mileage.

Buy what feels comfortable. All have their problem points with a certain, small percentage of vehicles. The 6.7 impresses me...doesn't scare me (except when I am running her a bit and she gets wild!).
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM

I was in the same shoes as you are in as far as justification. I have a travel trailer we use about 5 times a year and once or twice a yr my motorcycle goes in the bed. I'm not impartial to any vehicle manufacter (last 5 vehicles 08sequoia, 07tundra, 03 yukon 03 maxima, 95 prelude). Landed on the superduty because like you I got sick of all the downshifting of the 1/2 ton gassers while towing. The ford also looked the best to me, interior and exterior which made it a good choice while not towing. Bought my truck last september and still love it to this day. So as far as my experience, you won't regret it.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Get which ever vehicle has the options you want! I bought my ford because i could not get a moonroof and the plow package. Sounds silly, but when you spend this kind of money get exactly what you want. Dont settle. You will not be happy. Also, see what you can get the best deal on if you still cannot make up your mind
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Drive it, done My wife drives a GMC

Last edited by Profish00; 05-09-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Major Senior Member

food for thought.... the GM/GMC has courtesy transportation the life of the standard warranty. lol

Ford has better coffee in the waiting room, and most have WiFi.

I would compare the waiting rooms and the dealership amenities with either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.