Why can diesels idle forever? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why can diesels idle forever?

So I've known that guys with diesels let their trucks idle all day out on ranches and job sites and stuff. Is there a reason they do this as opposed to gassers? I think it's cool but I would imagine it uses a lot of fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Because for diesels its better to idle then get shut down for short stops...

Edit: you said all day long... That is MOST of the time un-needed... Unless the truck is powering some equipment...

Also... I don't care who you are...try ideling a 6oh w/o the high idle mod done with its variable vane turbo

Sent from my crazy phone that posts behind my back...

Last edited by Six0~Stroker; 04-30-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to dieselmatt
This thread should get some interesting answers.

Subbed.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think its hard on em unless there idled up. They can wet stack easier when idling.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 AM

So I was a little loose with my term on "all day". I should have said a good while, say 30 min or an hour (plus or minus some time).

We had a guy come out this weekend and he left his truck running for a good 30 minutes while we went into the back of our property and looked at some things. I would have turned my truck off but it's not diesel.

So I guess my question is, how long should you leave it running before you should turn it off? whats the break even point?

Also, I have not seen a high idle option on the new super duties, but it has been a month or so since I have looked at all the options. Do the 6.7's need it?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

The need for cooling the turbo requires a minute or two..... 30 minutes is too much but to each his own I guess
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Lots of idle time clogs the egr valve over an extended period of time. But a diesel needs a high idle mod to run every now and then if your keeping the truck idling all day. If you have equipment your running on the truck it's obvious why your letting the truck idle.

Btw a hgh idle mod is something you do yourself. I haven't heard of a truck coming with it from the factory.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Chevy has a high idle switch option on their 2500hd. Maybe this link will work...

Chevrolet | Build Your Own - Customize Your Perfect Car By Trim
Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM

I should have specified that idk anything about Chevy I thought we were talking about ford here. Sorry
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
our trucks idle a bunch. when putting the plows on and warming up and taking a nap or whatever. 04 6.0, stock everything, not a single issue with egr components or anything due to prolonged idle. our 2005 f350 we just sold had stock egr valve for 60k miles and idled alot no issues then deleted the egr and other preventative maintenance just to be safe. our 2010 has had 0 issues and i just tuned it and loving the power, debating egr delete. just got our 6.7 2 weeks ago so no info on idling yet.

i do not use high idle switches, the trucks idle up on their own and have that im guessing built into their tunes. plus when you start it in cold weather you shouldnt throw it on high idle right after you start it so what are you gonna walk out into the snow in 2 minutes again and throw the high idle on. i sure dont. I let the trucks do their thing and have had 0 issues. although our trucks are meticulously maintained which is a huge factor in how it runs i believe. i know like big rigs they let them idle instead of shutting them off because of different reasons i believe. I could imagine that the pro longed idle with dpf equipped trucks is hard because of the dpf but i believe if the truck goes into regen while in park it goes all the way to 2100rpms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.