Weary of the Stealership - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weary of the Stealership

So I scheduled to drop off my truck next week (2011 F350 SW CC Lariat) for the dealership to address the hard shifting into third when the tranny is cold, I have read on here about guys getting reflashed, so I ask the tech guy about getting it reflashed and he said they would hook up to the computer and the computer will tell them if it needs it or not, what I am really leary about is he said after they flashed it they would have to drive the truck and put it through its paces to make sure its good to go, maybe its just me but I dont want some mechanic out joy riding (putting truck throught its paces), if anyone is gonna put it through its paces it will be me..........anyone have any experience with this, does the mechaninc really have to go out and put the truck through its paces??? thanks for any and all help.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM

they drove mine about a mile maybe with comp hooked up for checking regen the tech probly spends very litlle time if certified and I dont thinck they are much of techs as they are hook up ids and say its fine.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

We road test vehicles after most repairs
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

I would think it would have to be necessary. These techs get paid by book hours, so they aren't going to waste time joy riding in your truck. Heck that's the reason it had become such a pain in the azz to get something diagnosed on a vehicle. The techs don't get paid anything for taking a vehicle out for a "test drive".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM

Some techs get paid by the book. Our dealership is not flat rate, we are hourly.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Most of the people working on your vehicle are not likely to beat the crap out of someone's vehicle for their own amusement these days. I opted to ride with the dealerships' staff who test drove my Cummins while truck shopping earlier in the year. You can always ask to be present when your vehicle is being driven by dealership staff. It's natural for you to be completely territorial, especially with your new truck.

All that aside, my parents witnessed a tech smoke the tires off of their brand new Thunderbird that was in for some minor service. I'm not sure how, but my old man kept his composure, walked right into the GM's office and let him know what he thought of the situation. I don't remember all of the details, but my parents were fairly compensated. I can't remember what happened to the tech, wouldn't surprise me if he was terminated. Most dealerships will not tolerate acts like that anymore, especially when it happens right out in the open for customers to see.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the comments, I tend to see the worst in people. I understand that a test drive would be in order just threw me off when he said they would have to put the truck through its paces.

Also awhile back I was at the 4x4 shop and they had just put a 6 inch lift rims and tires on a brand new F350 took it down to the local tire shop to have it aligned and well the tech decided he needed to drive it and make sure the alignment was good, along the way he decided he would boost launch the truck a few times and tore the rear end up.... The tire shop fired the guy and paid for the truck to be fixed no hassle.....
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too am paranoid about others driving my truck. My truck was shifting hard into 5th when cold. It was determined I needed a flash and two sylanoids. Problem solved. Not going to lie tech put 15 miles on my truck and my avg. mpg was in the crapper when I picked it up. Pretty sure he was hammering it to "test" wether or not the fix worked. Problem is solved though none the less. Transmission is smooth throughout all of the gears when cold now. Good luck with yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.