Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

This ring gear looks defective to me

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TrickTruck 
#1 ·
Got the truck up on a lift to put the TrueTrac in the rear and this is what we found. Decided to put it back together and have Ford service take a look before we go tearing into it.

This ring gear looks defective to me.

Survey says?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There is definitely a problem with that ring gear. It should not have any of those marks in it. Those marks will also make it noisy. I would take it back to Ford also.

#4 ·
I'll be honest if there's no parts laying in the bottom and there is no noise concern then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is going to be hard to get a warranty claim through based on that complaint alone.

The contact area should be in the middle of the tooth, not so much where near the edge where those marks are. You wouldn't even know they were there if you hadn't opened it up, correct?

#5 ·
Why wouldn't it be cause for concern? Those damage marks show defects in the material. There could possibly be micro cracks coming from the visible damage that could eventually lead to catastrophic failure of that ring gear causing even more damge and cost. Personally, after paying what you did for a brand new truck, I'd have it checked out. Any defect found should be covered under the 3 year 36k miles bumper to bumper.

#6 ·
No, I would not have known it was a problem unless I'd opened it up.

On the other hand, I've had a ring gear chip right there in the past. Sounded like a wounded animal and we left it (a bunch of us were headed to FL.) Picked it up on the way home. Ended it's trip and that sucked.

At this point, regardless of what ford says, a new ring gear is going in with the New TrueTrac, maybe at my expense...being left behind sux.

#8 ·
Just got off the phone with Ford. They will warranty this. They will NOT put the truetrac at the same time. WTF?

The truck has to be there for them to order parts. WTF? So it has to sit a week instead of a day. D'oh

#10 ·
I sure hope mine doesn't look like that, but good to hear Ford's replacing it.

As for them installing your TrueTrac, I'm not at all surprised. That's a real stretch to ask the OEM to install aftermarket parts as part of a warranty service IMHO. I'd see if you can pay the dealer on the side to it while it's apart, but I kinda doubt it unless you're on really good terms. It would compromise his warranty approvals/work with Ford and most aren't willing to do that.

#11 ·
The TrueTrac is in.

2.5 hrs from pulling up to the door to pulling away.
D E A D simple job.

The performance is stunning. Where before a stomp on the gas when accelerating around a corner would just yield inside wheel spin and traction control cutting power and sluggish truck movement, now it's GO GO GO, traction control did finally kick, but it was a lot later and the truck wasn't really spinning, it was moving.
One very happy camper.

I do not expect the front end to be as easy. For one thing, we have to disassemble a lot more. And I'm going to be controlling it w/ the stocker rear e-locker control so I've got some wiring to do also. I probably shouldn't have bothered as I rarely go offroad. The elocker is for that one blue moon...

On a separate note:
I do have a very low miles stock Ford elocker for sale if anyone is interested. I have not started researching it, but expect it to be offered for 60% of what you could buy it new from Ford. It will come with the carrier bearings as we elected to leave them on and use the new ones.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.