2012 F450 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 F450 questions

Whats up guys cool board lots of good info on this board. I bit the bullet and bought a 12 f450 . I need it for for work and could not wait for 3-5 months to order a cab and chassis and was big on a 4.88 rear end and the 300 down traded hp both and had there pros and cons but anyways.

My f450 bed is coming off om putting an aluminum flat bed on it and probably somewhere in the 4-6 inch range lift. My problem is with the wheels! I will be using this truck to tow a good amount number pull in the 14K range and fith wheel in the 20k range.The flip side is it wheel be off road on fire access roads a good amount of time. my questions are
I would like to go to a 19.5 wheel but they seem very narrow ow are they off road?
if I went with a 22 wheel will the adapters hold up to the abuse there put threw and how much performance do they rob?

If I stay with a 17" rim and say a 34-35" tire will the sidewalls be too spongy for working this truck like it is supposed to be worked?

Thanks again and great forum! Proud to be a memberl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post up some pics when you get a chance.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I had to read your post a few times to understand some of the content. I'll do my best to answer what I can though.

First off, WELCOME to the forum and congrats on your new F450 Ford!!

I was not aware that any other axle ratio was available for the F450 except 430?? Not sure where you got 488s unless you are speaking of a F550 or larger?? I have not looked at what those trucks offer.

As far as wheels go, , , they will not make a lot of difference on pulling power. The diameter of the tires do. If you had 34 inch tires on 17 wheels OR 34 inch tires on 22 wheels, the truck would not notice any difference in pulling power as the final ratio is the same on both set-ups. Your point about sidewall aspect is true however and would effect handling. Also remember that larger diameter tires from stock will impact braking, , , probably more than they will effect pulling power on an F450.

I pull a 16,500 lb 5er with my 450 and it has plenty more than that. The loads you mention are cake for your truck so I guess your biggest question could be answered by a good tire man about off-roading 19.5s. All of those I have seen are for hiway heavy loads. I think they are made with all season grip tread too but that is still not the same as off-road would be.

Off -road could mean different things to different people too. Here in the desert, our power line roads are rock and sand and tires need to be durable and not so important on rough tread for grip. Where I grew up in Missouri, grip was everything in the deep mud but durability was secondary in the soft mud. Your best answers for tires is right at the tire store. I,m sure some of the guys around here have tried off-roading the F450 and may have opinions to help with tires too.

I think a 9000 lb. truck off-road would be a pig. I know the fire fighters do it though so it can be done. I also believe taller tires for clearance would be much better than a lift would?? Nothing worse than a top heavy pig on the side of a hill.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

I saw photos of someone running 19.5s with aggressive tread, though I can't remember where.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM

mow lol sorry about the grammar thats what i get for posting on with the iPhone lol.

My truck has 4.30 rear end in it. When I was going back and fourth on my decision of the cab and chassis or the f450 pick the rear end and the horsepower were big factors. The cab and chassis is derated to 300HP the lack of power is compensated with the 4.88. With that reared I don't think I couple afford the diesel for it lol

Im in southern california I am a land clearing contractor. This vehicle will be supporting our equipment in the field along with carrying a removable fire skid that its in the 3000lb range. It will be offered a good amount of its ife. Terrain out here is rutted up semi rocky type fire roads.

The flip side is like I mentioned I do tow with it both work and pleasure. My equipment occasionally and also the family with wheel.

The 19.5s seem to be the way to go econimocially I just wonder with only a 6.5 inch rim if there will be enough surface are for them not to just sink with all the weight.

Going to the 22 will help me with more surface area but then I will be in a LT tire not a g load range.

Damed if I do dammed if I don't lol

Would be nice to get someone with first hand experience with the 19.5's off road. It seems like there is a ton of 19.5's for sale off the 6.4 F450's I wonder if that is supposed to tell me something. Might be great for on road but no bueno off road. Thats what I'm trying to figure out.

I know it will be a pig offroad but with the weight I carry it really is my only option.
Thanks again for the input
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM

VERY NICE 5ER BY THE WAY!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the comment about "Hog Heaven", our camper. It has one job only, motorcycle rallies!! We love those and go to as many as we can. I have two coming this month, a two nighter and a three nighter. Both will be a blast.

No problem with your iphone either, my Droid does wierd things when I speech to text on it too!!!

There is one thing you need to remember when putting tires on any dually, , , you must keep enough space between the duals or they will pick up rocks and hold them. This can and will ruin a tire in no time. I have done this myself, pick up rocks. I had one in my current truck about a month ago and had to get the tire tool out and pry the rock loose. I thought I was going to have to let air out of a tire that rock was so tight in there!!! I still have the stock tires on too. That rock was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and it really wedged in there.

Your job sounds very challenging and fun?? I visit your area a few times a year to ride my quad. I know the terrain you have and understand your delima moving heavy equipment around!!!

I kinda think you would be happiest with solid, durable tires that can take the abuse the rocks are going to give. You will need some grip too but I think durability is first for your work.

Good Luck and post some pics when you get the truck done!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.