The US mail is faster than the response to the skinny pedal. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The US mail is faster than the response to the skinny pedal.

Not sure if this is normal, part of the fly by wire system or turbo lag, but when I stomp the skinny pedal, it takes a second or two before the truck gets up and goes.

Is this normal? Is there anything that can be done to improve throttle response?

Kind of nerve racking when pulling out into traffic and the truck doesn't go for a sec or two. Combine this w/ too much power when it does come on, and open diff w/ 1 wheel spinning and then traction control defuleing the motor and I've had quite a few uncomfortable moments as I am getting used to this big lag in throttle response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hahaha I was talking to my buddy about it the other day. Mine does it as well. Are you tuned? My dads used to as well until we spartan tuned it and then it is always ready to rip. I can't wait to tune mine to see if it goes away or at least gets better

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mine is stock. Only 2700 miles on it so far. After reading the horror stories about how Ford is dealing with serious issues I can't mess with it until I'm sure it doesn't have problems.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

One of the negatives with the 6.7 I wonder if it is programming to eliminate the black puff before the turbo will spool?

I have put 20,000 miles on mine in the last 6 months and I think the inside of the exhaust is cleaner than the out side lol
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTruck View Post
Mine is stock. Only 2700 miles on it so far. After reading the horror stories about how Ford is dealing with serious issues I can't mess with it until I'm sure it doesn't have problems.
I'm sure it's normal man. I have 2200 on mine and I am deleting at 5,000 after my first service

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's sort of the nature of the beast. I've noticed that the 6.7 feels more like a light switch than an accelerator. My old Duramax wasn't that bad. Watch the tire wear at the right rear corner. I know for a fact that I never spun the tires but right rear is worn at least 30% more than the other 3. I like the locking rear diff, if I were stuck in the mud, but the open rear diff is hell on tires (or tire!lol). Give and take
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM

It's torque management saving the transmission.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamax View Post
It's sort of the nature of the beast. I've noticed that the 6.7 feels more like a light switch than an accelerator. My old Duramax wasn't that bad. Watch the tire wear at the right rear corner. I know for a fact that I never spun the tires but right rear is worn at least 30% more than the other 3. I like the locking rear diff, if I were stuck in the mud, but the open rear diff is hell on tires (or tire!lol). Give and take
I know about the tire issue. There's even a bulletin from Ford on the subject.
No resolution though other than back off the skinny pedal.

I have the elocker too. Useless if you ask me. That kind of thing is ok for severe duty off-road, but who takes a $62k truck 'wheelin? IMHO Ford's elocker rear diff is useless. Fact is that due to the programming, anything over 35mph it's off anyway. Coming from RC racing, I can say for sure that a spool in the rear is the best way to make a truck handle like crap anyway - makes the rear end very loose, so I can see why Ford turns it off at any kind of speed.

For those that don't know how an elocker works: It's an open differential unless an electrical current is sent to the diff. Then it locks both wheels together = spool. The electrical current comes from a decision the computer makes based on your speed (must be below 35mph) and whatever traction and stability control are deciding. Far as I know it's all decided by the computer. If there's a switch to do this manually, I haven't seen it yet.
No matter what, an elocker is the worst of both worlds.
*open diff most of the time
*spool when locked will cause the rear end of the truck to be very 'loose' and the looser the terrain (like a very dusty dirt road) the worse the truck will handle - rear end will be all over the place
*spools cause severe crab walking which my truck suffers from something terrible. 4low and slow the whole rear end is bouncing around when making a turn (most likely axle wrap due to the tall blocks in the 350.)
*not that it really matters because Ford is not allowing you to control it anyway.

Ford should have offered a Limited Slip in the rear (they do for dualies, but not for SRW), and an elocker up front. For a truck that spends most of it's life on the road a LS is far more useful than a locker. I'll bet 99% of the customers would benefit from a LS.

A Truetrac is on order, should ship any day now. And I'm putting the detroit eLocker up front for that emergency off-road need (will probably never use the thing.)

Sorry for the sidebar. Back on topic. So, y'all think a tuner will help with throttle response huh? I have to wait until I'm sure the truck isn't one of those that suffer from severe mechanical failures first. I may put a tuner on soon, but only in monitor mode. Going to wait until at least 10k before tuning it. Plan is H&S w/ KEM. Just turned 3k today.

Last edited by TrickTruck; 04-11-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 AM

I tell you what Chevy has one of the best locking diff. But that's besides the point. I can tell you it's nature of the beast with a diesel for that lag. I find of you touch the peddle just a bit before your gonna take off it will. Mpensate for some of the lag. But opening the exhaust up will take some of that lag out. Even tuning it will too.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 AM

EGR blocker/delete probably does the most for turbo lag. Lets it build boost quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.