Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The US mail is faster than the response to the skinny pedal.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  jeffc 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is normal, part of the fly by wire system or turbo lag, but when I stomp the skinny pedal, it takes a second or two before the truck gets up and goes.

Is this normal? Is there anything that can be done to improve throttle response?

Kind of nerve racking when pulling out into traffic and the truck doesn't go for a sec or two. Combine this w/ too much power when it does come on, and open diff w/ 1 wheel spinning and then traction control defuleing the motor and I've had quite a few uncomfortable moments as I am getting used to this big lag in throttle response.

#2 ·
Hahaha I was talking to my buddy about it the other day. Mine does it as well. Are you tuned? My dads used to as well until we spartan tuned it and then it is always ready to rip. I can't wait to tune mine to see if it goes away or at least gets better

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
Mine is stock. Only 2700 miles on it so far. After reading the horror stories about how Ford is dealing with serious issues I can't mess with it until I'm sure it doesn't have problems.

#6 ·
It's sort of the nature of the beast. I've noticed that the 6.7 feels more like a light switch than an accelerator. My old Duramax wasn't that bad. Watch the tire wear at the right rear corner. I know for a fact that I never spun the tires but right rear is worn at least 30% more than the other 3. I like the locking rear diff, if I were stuck in the mud, but the open rear diff is hell on tires (or tire!lol). Give and take

#8 · (Edited)
I know about the tire issue. There's even a bulletin from Ford on the subject.
No resolution though other than back off the skinny pedal.

I have the elocker too. Useless if you ask me. That kind of thing is ok for severe duty off-road, but who takes a $62k truck 'wheelin? IMHO Ford's elocker rear diff is useless. Fact is that due to the programming, anything over 35mph it's off anyway. Coming from RC racing, I can say for sure that a spool in the rear is the best way to make a truck handle like crap anyway - makes the rear end very loose, so I can see why Ford turns it off at any kind of speed.

For those that don't know how an elocker works: It's an open differential unless an electrical current is sent to the diff. Then it locks both wheels together = spool. The electrical current comes from a decision the computer makes based on your speed (must be below 35mph) and whatever traction and stability control are deciding. Far as I know it's all decided by the computer. If there's a switch to do this manually, I haven't seen it yet.
No matter what, an elocker is the worst of both worlds.
*open diff most of the time
*spool when locked will cause the rear end of the truck to be very 'loose' and the looser the terrain (like a very dusty dirt road) the worse the truck will handle - rear end will be all over the place
*spools cause severe crab walking which my truck suffers from something terrible. 4low and slow the whole rear end is bouncing around when making a turn (most likely axle wrap due to the tall blocks in the 350.)
*not that it really matters because Ford is not allowing you to control it anyway.

Ford should have offered a Limited Slip in the rear (they do for dualies, but not for SRW), and an elocker up front. For a truck that spends most of it's life on the road a LS is far more useful than a locker. I'll bet 99% of the customers would benefit from a LS.

A Truetrac is on order, should ship any day now. And I'm putting the detroit eLocker up front for that emergency off-road need (will probably never use the thing.)

Sorry for the sidebar. Back on topic. So, y'all think a tuner will help with throttle response huh? I have to wait until I'm sure the truck isn't one of those that suffer from severe mechanical failures first. I may put a tuner on soon, but only in monitor mode. Going to wait until at least 10k before tuning it. Plan is H&S w/ KEM. Just turned 3k today. :)

#13 ·
Does anyone else notice the severe torque management in the 2-3 shift? Under WOT when the shift occurs it almost feels like you're hitting the brakes. The shift takes forever.

#9 ·
I tell you what Chevy has one of the best locking diff. But that's besides the point. I can tell you it's nature of the beast with a diesel for that lag. I find of you touch the peddle just a bit before your gonna take off it will. Mpensate for some of the lag. But opening the exhaust up will take some of that lag out. Even tuning it will too.

#10 ·
EGR blocker/delete probably does the most for turbo lag. Lets it build boost quicker.

#15 ·
The lag does suck. It takes some getting used to, that's for sure. It was the first thing my brother complained about with his '11.

I will disagree about the e-locker being useless. I happen to like mine. I've used it to scale mountain trails at 10% grade with no room for error (cliff on one side). I like that both tires are digging in, the truck feels much more stable. A limited slip would do just fine for that, but I like the locker for the piece of mind.

#16 ·
I respectfully disagree with you as well. In the situation you mentioned, with the locker on, if you spin just a little, the back end could slide out from you. With a LSD, one tire will spin while the other will take a few revolutions to engage. This will likely keep your back end in place and make hill climb more "safe"? I live in da swamp (south Louisiana) and have almost NO experience climbing hills/mountains. Does what I say make sense? I'm not trying to start an argument, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, I'm married! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.