1st fuel filter change complete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st fuel filter change complete

I just finished my first fuel filter change on my 6.7. If ford has improved one thing it is the ease of doing a fuel filter change. From start to finish 20 minutes. Of course I had luxuary of using my F.D. shop, which has a pit that I can park over. No more worrying about getting a bath under the truck, pop a few connection under the hood, cycle the key 6 times for 30 seconds each time and your done.
The one thing I would suggest, is make sure you loosen the bottom filter cover 3 complete turns BEFORE you open the drain. You will lose a lot less fuel, and not give your self a bath. Watch the guy on you tube that doesn't do that. By turning it 3 times it won't drain from the tank, just the bowl that the filter sits in. The guy on the video let it drain for 5 minutes and still got a bath because it was draining straight from the fuel tank. I only had to let it drain for maybe a minute and a half and didn't spill a drop.
You need a 7mm socket to loose the clamp on the top filter twist the filter counter clockwise and pull it out. The original top filter comes with 3 connnections, but the replacement only has 2. The third one isn't being used and I can only assume it was used at the factory to prime the system on the inital start up.
Thanks Ford for improving that over the that rail mounted 6.4 filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
it sounds so much more complicated. i dont get my 6.7 till next week to see for sure. i know with the 6.0 and 6.4 they are in very tight spots but with a 36mm socket and extension it came out fairly easy
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
it sounds so much more complicated. i dont get my 6.7 till next week to see for sure. i know with the 6.0 and 6.4 they are in very tight spots but with a 36mm socket and extension it came out fairly easy
I changed the filters on my 6.4 and thus 6.7 is a breeze. Like I said above the trick is loosening that bottom filter container first, then open the drain. Watch the video on you tube.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i will, i cant wait to go pick it up
Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 PM

It's really easy. I hand the guy my keys, pour a cup of coffee, and before I'm done he's handing me the keys back LOL. I'm glad yours was a pleasant experience. I've heard horror stories about doing them from several people.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
It's really easy. I hand the guy my keys, pour a cup of coffee, and before I'm done he's handing me the keys back LOL. I'm glad yours was a pleasant experience. I've heard horror stories about doing them from several people.
Yea that definitely is easier lol, but im not putting this thing back to stock every time the oil or fuel filters need changing, plus I save myself about 80 bucks which is better off in my pocket.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Years ago I would agree. These days I'm tired of wrenching for general maintenance.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM

I would like to do mine myself, but I'm still worried about breaking the bowl on the frame mounted filter. Every time I get underneath my truck and try to loosen it up, it feels like the plastic is going to break before the threads break loose. Its starting to anger me greatly
Old 03-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Diesel View Post
I would like to do mine myself, but I'm still worried about breaking the bowl on the frame mounted filter. Every time I get underneath my truck and try to loosen it up, it feels like the plastic is going to break before the threads break loose. Its starting to anger me greatly
If you are using the right size socket and follow the lefty loosy rule hahaha, i assure you it will not break. It is plastic on metal threads so it will make some noise unscrewing it and it is a pretty tight fit. Also when putting it back on it, has a dead stop on the threads so you don't have to worry about over tightening it. Check this video out. It is pretty cut and dry.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 AM

I broke mine frame rail cap.The 1 1/4 in nut snapped all around the base of it. Last time I put it on I might of put it too tight I don't know. Maybe if I had put Oil on the threads it wouldn't of. I had to make a stap wrench to get the cap off. I will use the strap wrench in the future as it removed the cap with no issues. Some others I've Googled are doing the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.