Changing Oil One's Self....hints/suggestions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing Oil One's Self....hints/suggestions?

I am guilty of usually just taking vehicles in for their oil changes, it's done religiously and always on time/milage. But, with my 6.7 I'd rather save the extra money of having someone do it and apply that towards better oil and oil filter. Does anyone have any "words of wisdom" in changing 14 freaking quarts? I've changed oil many times during my lifetime, but not on a diesel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (already have oil choice, BUT what filters do people recommend?)

Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Most everyone uses Ford Motorcraft filters that can be bought online reasonably from dieselfiltersonline.com. You can buy all of your filters there and save money. If you have the plastic pan beware of the flood of oil that rushes out when you remove the plug. The manual says 13 quarts to fill but there have been some discussions as to how much it actually takes to fill to the full line on the dipstick. The dipstick is terrible to read so make sure to let the truck sit for a bit before you check the oil. Checking it first thing in the morning helps also. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've done several oil changes on my F-350. I found that I can pretty much buy three Motorcraft filters online from dieselfiltersonline.com for what it costs me for one filter at my local auto parts store. I use a five gallon bucket to catch the oil out of the pan. The oil filter is unbelievably easy to access. I recycle the used oil at Walmart.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I found that the little I'd save doing it myself isn't enough to cover my time. Plus with the dealership doing it its documented on their files on when it was done and what products were used.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do all my oil changes and filter changes myself. I order it all from dieselfilter.com like mentioned before. They have the motorcraft oil filter you are looking for the FL-2051 i believe it is. I buy my stuff in bulk, so like 3 oil filters- both fuel filters-air filter at once. So, you are good for awhile, plus it is a lot cheaper and free shipping if you buy over a certain amount.

Tips for the oil plug is use a ratchet with a small extension for some room and dont force anything, once you break the seal, you can just use your fingures. i also use a 5 gallon bucket, but i take the sawzall and cut about 4/5 inches off it so I can slide it under the truck without tipping it, 13 quarts is a lot and when the bucket tips over you have a mess, trust me, been there. Also, hold the bucket up to the drain, because of the angle of it, the oil shoots right out at first, than you can put the bucket down.

For the filter, make sure you have a good size container or some cardboard handy, i have yet been able to get the filter off without oil coming out all over the place. I loosen it, and let it drain for abit before i total screw it off. Have rags handy.

When putting the oil plug back in, just snug it up to the stopper, member it is plastic, so it can break.

make sure you put roughly 1 quart into the filter before the new one is installed, that 13 quarts considers that 1 quart added to the filter.

For maintance recorders, if you are that concern about it, there is a site through ford where you can log all your maintance of your vehical, just have to keep receipts.

good luck...

ps. the dip stick does sucks!!! Do they make a aftermarket one, anyone know of????
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Main thing is, watch out for the oil fountain the first time you pull the plug. Stay way back and sideways.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Take a nail and make a couple of holes in old filter bottom, before you remove. Worked great on older models.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM

If you unscrew the filter just a little bit before pulling the drain plug (careful this is tricky you have to unscrew enough it can suck plenty of air but if unscrewed enough that it is leaking out it wont work) it will drain the filter also then u can take it the rest of the way off without the mess

Sent from my Milestone PLUS using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM

just be sure to document your oil changes in a notebook or something. staple your receipts to the corresponding entry, noting mileage and date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.