Stupid NooB question........ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid NooB question........

Tried a search..came up with notta so here goes..
I have a 12 F250 FX4 with the trailer package andthe cab clearance lights..I want to install the tri bar lights that come stock on the dually under the tailgate. Does anybody know if the truck is prewired for these..also anybody have a ballpark price...it's the middle of the night and I'm stuck at work so that's why I'm asking her..
Be kind to a NOOB please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think only the dually trucks come pre-wired but I may be wrong. I did this exact same thing on my '01 and my '08 SRW trucks, but I just tapped in to the tailight wires.

Here's a few available on ebay.
Light Bar

BTW - it's not a stupid question.

Mark
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 AM

I agree with what Mark said, you could tie into a running light wire on the rear of the truck pretty easy. Also, the trailer wires are right there too and you could connect to the running light circuit there.

I'm kinda thinking all the Super Duty harness will have the wire you need. When the sun comes up I'll try to get out to my F450 and see if I can tell what color wire you need and where it is at. I remember seeing some "extra" plugs at the rear of my F250 when I put the air bags on and I bet one of them was for a triple light fixture.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i plan on just tieing into running lights on my 2010. I like the led light bars with turn signals but i went through 2 on my 2005 and led's kept going out so im just gonna get led running lights and mount them under the tailgate
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM

OK, I got a chance to take a quick look under my truck.

I think you are going to be in luck for a couple reasons. The triple light bar on my F450 looks like something Ford bought at the local auto discount house and bolted onto the rear of the truck. You should be able to do the same. The wires it uses look like they are part of the factory harness and prolly on all Super Duty trucks.

When I speak a direction, , , , I will mean it just as you are sitting in the seat looking forward out the windshield.
RIGHT and Pass is right side
LEFT and Dvr is left side
UP is towards the sky
DOWN is towards the ground
FRONT or forward is where the headlights are
REAR or back is where the taillights are

That may seem elementary to most of us but I see people getting confused all the time. Since you are going to most likely be laying on your back looking up while doing this, it could seem reversed to you.

Under the rear of your truck you will find a harness attached to the bottom of the bed floor about 4 or 6 inches forward of the rear edge of the bed.. It comes from the left side and if you have a back-up camera from the factory, it will got to it thru a plug just a little right of center. If you don't have a camera, the wire plug will be covered with an orange rubber cover. This is the harness you need.

About 6 or 8 inches from the end of this plug, almost dead center of the bed, there is a two wire "pigtail" about 3 or 4 inches long coming out the side of the camera wire. This is the wire Ford plugs into the triple light bar. It has a small black plastic plug and the wires are colored black with yellow tracer and a yellow wire that prolly has a tracer but I could not see one without a mirror and light. I bet if you test this pigtail with a volt meter or test light you will find the yellow is positive when running lights are on and the black with tracer is ground.

If you find this plug, you could buy the Ford triple light bar and install it in 5 minutes. It just plugs in and there are twp screws holding it to the truck. I would recommend this as it does not cut into the factory harness and cause warranty troubles.

I know that was a lot of typing but when you look under your truck it will seem very simple then.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post

I know that was a lot of typing but when you look under your truck it will seem very simple then.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Talk about breaking it down Sesame Street, awesome right up!!

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Man THANKS everybody..MOWDOC...you are Da MAN!!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM

I know this is the 6.7 thread but just like he described, it is the same for the 6.4s. While changing out my bumper, I found the little harness hookup and it was labeled "CTR LIGHT", and this is on my F250....Ford makes it pretty dang easy when it comes to parts being interchangeable...Nice right up by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.