Why the Scorpion works for me - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why the Scorpion works for me

Just some thoughts:

We have a 2008 Acura MDX (our 3rd MDX), that has been one of the best cars I have ever owned - it is my wife's car- it is very safe and convenient. The 1st couple years the avg. mpg was about 16.5. It now has 65,000 miles and the avg. mpg is up to 17.5 mpg for the last year.

Every winter we make lots of ski trips - the MDX was getting too small for this so we started taking my pickup beginning with the 06 Megacab (sold) and then the 08 Duramax (sold). BTW, both the 5.9 Cummins and the Duramax were deleted and chipped. On these trips my fuel economy was never better than 15 or so with either truck and the MDX got about 16. The mountain driving in the winter never yields the best fuel economy.

However, I have put on about 1,500 miles on the Scorpion on ski trips and my average mpg has been about 18.5!! What is odd, is this has been my avg. fuel economy overall too! Irregardless, this is very very good fuel economy, in my opinion, and in my experience. And, I might add the vehicle has been nothing but an absolute dream to drive. Going up and down Colorado passes has been a cinch, and a pleasure to drive. The comfort offerd to passengers, the safety, the utility, the power, the quiet cab - I could go on and on and on. . . I really cannot think of a single thing the truck could have done better on these trips.

I am about as happy (so far) with the Scorpion as I have been with any vehicle I have ever bought, and I have had some other vehicles that have been very nice:

BTW, A 1970 Buick GS 455, a 1999 Lexus LS 400 and a 2002 BMW M5 (my alltime favorite) have been some of my other favorites.

Another reason, the Scorpion works for me (and other business owners) - I can take 100% of the cost of the Scorpion as an IRS Section 179 deduction, in the 1st year! So, even though the MSRP was nearly $63k, the net cost for me, is $38,182, after deductions from MSRP and after tax savings. Let's say I had bought the gas version of this truck, the net cost to me (for the vehicle, after tax deduction) would have been $32,400, or about $5,782 less. I drive about 26,000 miles per year, so over three years I will buy 4,333 gallons of diesel (assuming 18 MPG - my current avg.). If I had bought the Super Duty gasser let's assume I could average 15.5 MPG, so I would burn 5,032 gallons.

Diesel cost over three years at $4.00 per gallon = 4,333 X $4.00 = $17,332
Gas cost over three years at $3.35 per gallon = 5,032 X $3.35 = $16,857

But, this is deductible in my business so the net cost of fuel, after tax deduction is about:

Diesel - $12,480
Gas - $12,137

So, the cost of fuel is $343 more, for the diesel, over three years. But, the cost of the vehicle was $5,782 more to begin with. However, when I trade it in, the diesel should be worth this difference in trade. If I compare the NADA bluebook value of two used three year old Super Duties, the difference in private party value is about $6,000. So, I think the net cost of the diesel over and above the gas, after tax savings, is really pretty marginal. I am assuming that other maintenance costs for the diesel compared to the gas is about the same - this is probably not quite right, but I don't think my assumption is gigantically off.

THe net net for me - I get to drive a much more enjoyable Scorpion diesel for an insignificant (net) amount more than a Super Duty gasser!

Last edited by sarends; 03-17-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So in other words: It was a tax shelter for you and an Expedition could have performed as well for less money?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Olypopper, I could have guessed this response was from you. I don't appreciate your assuming that I am too stupid to select what vehicle makes sense for me. Was there something about my post that made you think that I don't think things through seriously? Please take your presumptive sour spirit elsewhere and stop spoiling this forum with it. I happen to enjoy this forum because of the many many members who I learn from, and share with. But the basic requirement for beginning, or replying to, a post should be an unbiased, and at least somewhat positive approach. Bringing significant presumptions into a forum just isn't going to be helpful or positive for anyone.

BTW. I require a pickup for several reasons. Did you notice my avatar? I own a roofing company - I need to haul roofing materials.

Just because you regret your decision please stop spewing your bad attitude everywhere you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypopper View Post
So in other words: It was a tax shelter for you and an Expedition could have performed as well for less money?

Last edited by sarends; 03-17-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I plan to take advantage of Section 179 also for a 2012 or 2013. No one in my family buys fords, all General Motors, but Ford has a nice product that GM has to raise the bar to meet based on my research. A little nervous about the new engine and tranny, but love the looks of the truck and it seems to be doing well. I have two diesel VW now ( Jetta. & Touareg), but would love the F250. I pull a travel trailer in the summer and live on a dirt road.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Congrats on the awesome buy.
I'm sure you will love the rig the more time you spend with it!

Comparing a GAS excursion to a diesel truck is just
Go complain to your mother or wife and stop disrespecting other peoples choices.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Oh and to the OP: we have an 04 mdx and it is one of the best cars I have ever owned!!!

Except for my truck lol
Old 03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarends View Post
Irregardless, this is very very good fuel economy, in my opinion, and in my experience.

but sounds like something to look into
Old 03-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So the majority of the post has to do with skiing and tax breaks and i get hammered for making the connection to a suv?

Stroker, I said expedition NOT excursion..............They don't make those any longer. Learn to read and comprehend before responding or you'll look even slower than you are.

Tax shelter isn't a dirty word and you don't need to get all butt-hurt over it. Most small businesses are taking advantage of any way to keep obamesiahs hands off of their money.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
So the majority of the post has to do with skiing and tax breaks and i get hammered for making the connection to a suv?

Stroker, I said expedition NOT excursion..............They don't make those any longer. Learn to read and comprehend before responding or you'll look even slower than you are.

Tax shelter isn't a dirty word and you don't need to get all butt-hurt over it. Most small businesses are taking advantage of any way to keep obamesiahs hands off of their money.

Ok MY bad for skipping that... Haha I might be "slow" (which I'm not) but you telling a contractor that an expedition would work for him is just plain STUPID

Nobody had any problem with tax shelter per se... But that you came into someone's thread and started acting like all that and telling him what he should and should not have... BTW "tax shelter" is TWO words... Learn to use proper grammar and proof read your writing so you wouldn't prove to people that you are the slow one.:

No need to TRY to teach me about how tax shelters work... I am a business owner and to me, a new car purchase (tax shelter) is chump change!

You will need to buy about 5-10 of these rigs to match my purchases
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Does it really matter to you what he spent his money on?

Quote:
That might be what you got but I read it as what the MPG was.

Quote:

BTW, A 1970 Buick GS 455,
I used to own a 71, 455, 4 speed and 4.56 gears, would of been a great muscle car to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.