Hand Calculated MPG VS Trip Meter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hand Calculated MPG VS Trip Meter

It seems there are a quite a few members here who "feel" that the 6.7 Ford trip meter is blatantly wrong. Or, is it an opinion that Ford trip meters are not accurate? Isn't this why it is (not so) affectionately known as the lie-o-meter? Or, perhaps this is just a term that we have come to call manufacturer trip meters in general? I am a bit confused by all of this because I have had very good luck with the trip meters on our Acura, BMWs and (most recently) even on the 08 GMC Duramax I traded in for the 2012 Scorpion.

My Data
I have just under 4,000 miles on my truck, and although I have not hand calculated everytime, each time I have checked, the hand calculated has been within one or two tenths of the trip meter. Plus, the truck's trip meter does not always have the higher MPG.

We just completed about a 350 mile trip (in the CO mountains hauling 4 passengers and about 700 lbs of gear in the bed). The trip meter said 17.9 and the results of "fuelly", which is essentially a web site used to collect hand calculated data, shows 18.2. Some of this difference is a slightly different number of miles in the fuelly results vs the trip meter (tripmeter was based upon 382 miles).

But anyway, my conclusion so far is the Ford Trip Meter in my 2012 Ford truck is very accurate compared to hand calculated.

Last edited by sarends; 03-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 03:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had the same experience. My 2005 6.0 was not accurate at all. But my 2011 is right on with hand calculation. I tested it towing and just regular driving several times and every time it was within a few % of the hand calculation. I just use the meter now....
I say kudos to Ford for fixing it!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine is way off. Said it was getting 23.5 at 80mph the other day. My truck thinks its a Prius LOL
Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 AM

I checked my 04 f250 6.0 KR and mine is always either right on the money or 1-2 tents off and ussually the overhead console is the one with the worse mileage. So maybe just some people have bad luck with them
Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 AM

I have found that the programmers throw the meter way off. My stock 2011 6.7 is very accurate.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 AM

My tuned 6.7 is very accurate, my Instant MPG is always within .2 mpg of my hand calculations at the pump, as well as my Average MPG in the screen just above the Instant. I always reset both at every fill up as well, and hand calculate my mileage.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Diesel View Post
My tuned 6.7 is very accurate, my Instant MPG is always within .2 mpg of my hand calculations at the pump, as well as my Average MPG in the screen just above the Instant. I always reset both at every fill up as well, and hand calculate my mileage.
I am glad to hear that - so what kind of mileage are you getting with the tuner?
How does that compare with your nontuned mileage?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:13 PM

How do you reset both i can only reset 1. On averate it was telling me i would get 420-430 miles perbtank now it tells me 380. I wanted to reset it but coukdnt asked dealer and was told it was based on mpg.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 AM

4X4ord, my best hand calculated mileage with my truck stock was 17.6 mpg on a trip to kansas city and back, and the truck averaged around 15 hand calculated on my daily driving with a mix of highway and stop/go... My truck would also regen every 600 miles like clock work, probably because I don't pull very often with it.
My best fuel mileage with my truck tuned was on a round trip to austin texas and back to iowa, I averaged just shy of 22 mpg, and my truck averages 19 mpg with my daily driving.

Do you have the KEM green tunes, or is it someone else on this forum that does? I would be interested in heating your numbers if so?

Sent from my VS910 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 PM

My truck is still stock. About the best I have seen is 19 mpg on a round trip and I doubt if it did a regen on that trip. (17 mpg is fairly easily obtainable) I was not aware that the tunes were giving such impressive results. The issues that I have with tuning are: sacrificing the warranty; I really appreciate how quite this truck is and hate to change that; I am concerned about towing with the tuner - what setting do you run to get the mileage gains that your talking? Does the exhaust brake work better with the H&S than stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.