Fuel system vs warranty... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Fuel system vs warranty...

While I don't own a 6.7 diesel, I was talking with the service manager at the dealer where I live because of my interest in purchasing one and was talking to him about my fear of the fuel system's oversensitive issues, specifically regarding moisture. I told him that I had read about people putting aftermarket spin on filters/water separators on their trucks and when they'd take them in for warranty work, the dealerships would shun them away and refuse to work on it. Turns out, that's illegal.

Our discussion basically led to the fact, that if you put a second, third or even a fourth filter on of your choice, that it is ILLEGAL for them to turn you away. All you're doing in cleaning the fuel more so than what the OEM system is doing. Basically what it boils down to is how much time you have (to fight the issue and time without your vehicle) and how much money you have, which could later be recouped from Ford.

He specifically told me that Ford's track record with lawsuits over this type of BS customer service is not a very good one. I was informed that Ford has lost EVERY SINGLE lawsuit in that case and here's why;

When you take you truck in and tell them that your truck's fuel system is acting up. They look at it and see that you have a NAPA 3405 12 micron water separator and NAPA 3528 2 micron fuel filter (incidentally the very same setup I have on my 6.0L) and push you away. Instead of you having to prove that the filters weren't the cause of the problem, for the purposes of lawsuits, Ford has to prove it was. That's extremely difficult to do, especially when they pull that filter off and see how clean and clear it was and test it for water and see there is none. That's info worth knowing. So, you can take it for what's it worth and use this advice to help you out or not, I'm just presenting the info for all you 6.7 gurus. I now kinda want to get one after all.

Oh, as for my filter set up for those curious, I changed both of them today and I could have poured them in a clear plastic bottle and sold it as water, that's how clean that stuff was. Again, good info to know about warranties and related problems with Ford and it boils down to this;

They have to prove it caused the problem, not you proving it didn't.

Hope this helps folks!

Shack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I guess Ford is just banking that you will lose interest or not consider it worth the effort. I guess changing your own oil will void the warranty on the next model. Interesting post.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamax View Post
I guess Ford is just banking that you will lose interest or not consider it worth the effort. I guess changing your own oil will void the warranty on the next model. Interesting post.
Essentially, that is the case. He also mentioned how they CAN NOT tell you what fluids you can and can not run, however the fluids you opt to run have to be to their specs, something else most customers didn't know or don't want to battle. It's interesting to know what they can and can't do. I was going to file a lawsuit with the dealer I bought my truck from in NC but I was in the middle of transferring and didn't think it would be finished before I left plus I didn't have the necessary cash to drop up front. I would have won the case too after having spoke with a few lawyers prior to leaving. It's amazing the BS they pull AND get away with due to lack of knowledge on the customers part. It truly is disgusting. I was actually thrown out of the sales department the last time I was in there because I threatened the sales manager. Threats don't normally go over very well. I've learned insteading of threatening them, you 'promise' them, it gets you farther.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you do live in Kodiak you would be a fool to buy a modern diesel. The fuel there is ok but the lack of driving distances and low speeds around most of the island will cause you more problems than any fuel filter squabbles you could ever have with a dealer. The big issue here in the interior is idle time. When they see high numbers on your engines idle time clock they deny injector claims. When (not if) the turbo gets coked up they will deny it too. Kodiak IS the place for gas powered trucks. As cool as diesels are, gas engines are better suited to those type of driving conditions.

As for your write up about warranty consideration, you are right on the money. People are easily intimidated by dealerships for some reason.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypopper View Post
If you do live in Kodiak you would be a fool to buy a modern diesel. The fuel there is ok but the lack of driving distances and low speeds around most of the island will cause you more problems than any fuel filter squabbles you could ever have with a dealer. The big issue here in the interior is idle time. When they see high numbers on your engines idle time clock they deny injector claims. When (not if) the turbo gets coked up they will deny it too. Kodiak IS the place for gas powered trucks. As cool as diesels are, gas engines are better suited to those type of driving conditions.

As for your write up about warranty consideration, you are right on the money. People are easily intimidated by dealerships for some reason.
I know buying here wouldn't be smart, but I haven't always been known for my most logical decisions. haha. Every vehicle I have owned, including the Stroke I have now were impulse buys. My '09 ZX-6R, impulse. 2005 Honda 400EX, impulse. The Camaro I bought in 2001, impulse. The Dodge "does that thing have a Hemi" Ram I traded the Camaro in on, impulse. The Stroke I currently have I got from trading in the Dodge, impulse. You can definitely count of the fact, if I get a wild hair to purchase one, it'll happen. The only logical reason why I haven't is I really don't want a $800 a month payment. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.