Spring Break Trip Completed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spring Break Trip Completed

On Jan 19, 2012 I picked up my '12 CCSB Lariat and was immediately impressed with everything except the fuel mileage. The truck has the factory 20" wheels with the 34" tires and 3.55 gears. Stock I was averaging 16.8 mpg hand calculated, which isn't horrible but my 05 Sierra 1500 with 33's was seeing 16.5 hand calculated, so I was slightly disappointed.

360 miles later, I pulled the trigger on a Spartan Tuner and 4" DPF delete. With the delete and tuner I was seeing 22.1 average highway mpg hand calculated and 18.4 mpg mixed hand calculated. I was much more pleased with this and happy I went with the tuner.

Over Spring Break I finally got a chance to haul my race trailer down south. I pulled my 8.5x20 haulmark race trailer loaded with 6 motocross bikes, 1 street bike ('07 Suzuki GSX-R 750), generator, pressure washer, tool boxes, gear, and other items totaling 8,100 pounds from State College, PA to Tuscaloosa, AL. Averaged 15.1 mpg hand calculated round trip.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the truck and the fact that it didn't flinch on even the largest of hills while passing cars

If anyone is on the fence about tuning/deleting their truck I highly recommend it. Just be prepared to buy tires, cause the stock ones aren't going to last long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The fuel mileage will get better when truck hits 50k and then even 100k. Diesel take a long time to break in.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 PM

what hp tune are you runnung?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Towing running the 120 tune as per spartan based on the fact that my trailer isn't "that heavy" for these trucks. Heavier trailers should be using the 80 hp tune.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreedPS View Post
The fuel mileage will get better when truck hits 50k and then even 100k. Diesel take a long time to break in.
I'm pretty sure the truck is broken in long before 50K miles, otherwise the EPA wouldn't let them on the road.

Modern technology and all the fuel injection -engine sensors changes the game.
We don't have racks or mechanical injectors anymore.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Everyone is open to their opinion! Diesels take forever to seat the rings and be properly "broken in" My 06 DODGE 5.9 manual says if you dont pull heavy with it early in life it could take 30k+ to properly break in.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreedPS View Post
Everyone is open to their opinion! Diesels take forever to seat the rings and be properly "broken in" My 06 DODGE 5.9 manual says if you dont pull heavy with it early in life it could take 30k+ to properly break in.
2 completely different animals
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Man, I am glad to see this, I have been on the fence about programming an 11 with spartan, majority is H&S, but I have the Spartan already, now I just need to sell the 08 and find an 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.