off road fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
off road fuel

ok somebody clear this up for me... CAN I OR CAN I NOT RUN OFF ROAD FUEL IN MY 2012 F 250 KING RANCH? it is BONE stock. im not worried about the taxes or getting checked. im only worried about the fuel system and if the truck can take it... i had a 2011 duramax that i ran off road in all the time. this is my first ford.... thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm no expert but, we have off-road delivered for construction equipment and i'm told it is the same fuel just has dye in it, I know several people running it but none in a "11".
Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Marked fuel is just regular diesel with a dye pack added. I ran it in my 08 all the time. With the 6.7 being B20 capable it shouldn't be a problem at all...
Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just don't want to screw anything up just yet. The Truck only has 1100 miles on it. Some people say the fuel system want handle it and some say go for it. My uncle owns a huge farm and I can get all of the off road I want for free. I'm probably gonna try it. Just wanted to know if anyone else has actually done it. Thanks guys...
Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 PM

The only worry atleast in my area is getting your tank dipped and getting fined but I ran it in my truck for 3 years straight there is no difference it's just to mark it for tax purposes
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM

i would just be EXTRA careful about filling from a farm tank, make darn sure its got a fuel/water seperator on it.......your fuel system is very very very very very picky about moisture in the efuel
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get your diesel from your corner gas station like everyone else, 1- you can be sure it's the current grade of diesel for the season (I spent eight hours under my truck when I was mistakenly given summer grade diesel in thirty five below weather out of a bulk tank), 2- you can be sure it isn't laden with water and is free of bacteria growth as old diesel is a high risk for this. Think about it, you've spent all that cash on your truck and now your scrounging for any crap diesel fuel to fill up with?? Not worth the risk in my books, especially if you get caught with off road / farm fuel in your tank.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 AM

I buy around 2000 gallons of off-road diesel dyed red each month for the equipment we use at work. I have been doing this for over 20 years and I know the fuel guys very well. I ran red fuel in a DuraMax for 4 years straight and no issues. I WOULD run it in my 6.7 if the job allowed like in the past, , but no more free-bees now-a-days.

The fuel guys tell me the red fuel is exactly what would be delivered as clear fuel except it has the red dye added. It is even blended for seasons just like clear fuel is.

It WILL stain the filters so any one that sees them will know you are cheating uncle Sam. Thought you should know that. If you are ever in an accident, your fuel could be sampled. I have seen this done twice and I know for a fact one of the fines was $10,000. It was an unlicensed water truck that went 1/2 block from a work site to a store to get coffee and got rear-ended because no tail lights at night. They dipped his tank and fished the whole vehicle completely. There were several fines but the red fuel cost 10 grand alone!!!

I agree with ianstew, , , you will have no issues with red fuel, BUT, I would be very careful using a farm tank. Get good filtration on both the farm tank and your truck. The dirt and water will be the problem, not the red dye.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:12 PM

The Farm and ranch I work goes through a lot of fuel every month, especially in the summer. We have 3 10,000 gal red fuel tanks, and 1 2,000 gal clear diesel tank. (for work trucks that are on the road a lot). I get free fuel for my personal truck and I havent used any red fuel in my 6.7L cuz i have access to clear fuel, but like said above red diesel is the same fuel as clear only with dye..
Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Know that the off road fuel will also void your warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.