Why Ford over Chevy or Dodge? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why Ford over Chevy or Dodge?

Hi fellow truck enthusiasts,

Looking to upgrade from an 05 2500HD Chevy DMax to a full-ton diesel dually. Checked out the big 3 today and honestly it's a tough call.

I've highlighted some of my observations below, but what I need help with is owner feedback, especially regarding reliability and quality. How are the new Power Strokes, how is the rest of the truck in build quality and refinement, are the paint jobs holding up? What about fuel economy, is it really better than the others (we'll be towing a 12000 lbs plus fifth wheel)?

Cummins - arguably the most reliable engine, but Ford and Chevy have more HP and get by with a 3.73 axle ratio, which probably means better fuel economy

Emissions "stuff" - Dodge does not have urea yet, not sure what other changes there are if any between the 3

Transmission - from what I've heard, Dodge is still behind but supposedly has gotten better than they used to be

Looks - exterior, Ford and Dodge definitely look more truck-like (in a good way), interior, I'd say Ford and Dodge have the edge especially with their King Ranch/Longhorn trims

Ride - Ford and Chevy are smoother (engine and suspension), Dodge is more truck-like (in a bad way)

Creature comforts - not sure there are major differences, wish they had a setup like my current truck where the rear seat folds down flat (for the dogs)

Towing - all plenty of capacity for my purpose (fifth wheel 11K unloaded) - would be nice if turbo boost, trans temp and EGT gauges were built in but forgot to check if any of them have it

Warranty - Ford only has 5yr/60k on drivetrain, other 2 have 5yr/100k

Price - tough to compare without spending hours, but don't think it's enough to get excited over - the Dodge would have been the highest I believe, but that would probably change with different dealers

Any advice is appreciated.

Thx,
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the fords do have a boost gauge and a stupid trans temp gauge. but non of them have egts.

the dodge doesnt have urea but it has something else im drawin a blank on thats killing its mpgs.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what I hear ford new 6.7l diesel is suppose to be the new 7.3l in other words it's suppose to be the new most reliable motor. It's a little early to tell still though. All the maintenance guys have been saying they hardly see them in the shop though.

IMO though I suggest the ford either way. I have always had great luck with every ford I have owned.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

This is a Ford Forum and most will say Ford all the way, and I am a Ford lover, that
pulls a 16000 LB fifthwheel and love it. All of the big 3 will do the job you are asking
of your truck. You will just have to pick the one you like the best. Everything I am
hearing about the new 6.7 is good, talked to a friend yesterday and his 2012 with
7500 miles on it, getting 20 MPG running around town and he is very pleased.
Welcome to the ORG. Hope you find what your looking for.
Doug
Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Frank:

Like said above, I think the 6.7L powerstroke is the new 7.3L. These new Super Duties are very reliable, all the power you need, best comfort and interior.

For the transmission, fords torq shift 6 spd auto is at the top, rated and tested higher then both the allison and dodge tranny.

And the 6.7's have the best fuel milege. Also any of the big 3 will get better mileage if you delete the dpf.

ALso like what was said above, Im sure any one of the big 3 will do the job for you, After being in my 6.7L for 17,000 miles i can say i couldnt be happier with it. The only time its in the dealer is for the regular service. (knock on wood)

Last edited by Bryce18; 03-09-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Just to clarify the warranty issue you mentioned. True Ford is only 5/60 on the powertrain, but it is 5/100 on the motor. I've had my 6.7 for 6 months and 11000 miles. Couldn't be happier. I've owned the other3, 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4. This engine so far blows them away with stock HP and torque.
As far as mileage: in town i'm seeing 15-16 depending on how heavy my right foot is and highway is in the 18's.

Dodge = proven engine, just not sure about the rest of the Truck.

Chevy =I don't like the squared off fenders. Solid engine and tranny combo. Doesn't have the solid front axle. Interior quality?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 AM

If I was buying brand new, I'd buy a Dodge, and I think they're the ugliest out of the three... I just think you get the most for your money with the best reliability
Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thx for all the input guys!

I do expect the feedback to be somewhat biased this being a Ford forum, but most owners will gladly share their negative experiences as well, and the lack of any is good news.

Re: mileage, I was leaning towards 4x4 since we get the occasional snow here (though much less lately, maybe global warming is for real), and I figured it may help in soggy campgrounds with the trailer. Of course, you take a hit in mpg and it costs more - anybody here that can quantify the difference in mileage between 2 and 4 wheel drive 3500 duallies?

What about extended warranties, especially with all the gadgets on these trucks, are they worth it?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankv View Post
Thx for all the input guys!

I do expect the feedback to be somewhat biased this being a Ford forum, but most owners will gladly share their negative experiences as well, and the lack of any is good news.

Re: mileage, I was leaning towards 4x4 since we get the occasional snow here (though much less lately, maybe global warming is for real), and I figured it may help in soggy campgrounds with the trailer. Of course, you take a hit in mpg and it costs more - anybody here that can quantify the difference in mileage between 2 and 4 wheel drive 3500 duallies?

What about extended warranties, especially with all the gadgets on these trucks, are they worth it?
You gain a little bit of weight with 4 wheel drive, but with the power of a diesel you wont notice a difference in mpg or power loss. I won't own a 2 wheel drive diesel truck(too heavy easy to get stuck on wet ground or in mud. My suburban does fine in my yard, my f-350 dually front tires sink if it rains a lot.)
Also consider how you want a truck to look. Some of the makes are factory lifted or sit higher with 4 wheel drive.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Seems the dodges are cheaper. I just priced out two trucks online. Both the lowest package, regular cab, 4x4, diesel/auto. No other options. Dodge is around $3K less.

Plus they have a manual tranny. I would be tempted to buy a dodge because of that. Plus I really like the new Dodge front end, but thats just me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.