Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fass/Air dog/Dahl 150

11K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  hw713713 
#1 ·
Ok here is what I am thinking. Let me know if you think this will work. I am not wanting to do any aftermarket performance work on this truck. But I have been doing to much Internet research and I think I have scared myself into cleaning up my fuel. I have been looking into the fass system but the information is just not there as far as instruction manuals and what not. ( I have ran both on previous trucks and the only difference I notice is the noise level). I am thinking of running the AD II 100 as well as in conjunction with the DAHL 150 and both factory fuel filters. The concerns I have are as follows.

1) will the AD be able to push the fuel the truck needs through all filter devices. ( thinking about putting the Dahl 150 on the return side of the AD? )

2) is this much filtration needed?

3) any chances of not catching the water with this set up?

4) Anyone installed one of the AD's yet. I wanna figure out a way to get quick connects and not damage any factory lines in the event that I have to take it into the dealer I can remove everything and put it back to factory. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

See less See more
#3 ·
Well kinda. The air dog filter / water separator, ford water separator, ford filter. Then on the return side of the air dog also run a Dahl 150 water separator.

#4 ·
Why? The ford filters are good enough to keep you warrantee intact according to ford.
And you won't be pushing more flow so what's the point. Sounds like overkill paranoia

#5 ·
I agree but reading about the HPFP failures and ford not covering it due to water in fuel it has me concerned. Especially at the risk of a 10,000+ repair bill. Just nervous.

#6 ·
I took delivery of my brand new 6.7L 2012 F-350 right before Christmas. Had AirDog II system installed 3 days later. All is still good after 3000 miles. Everything else is factory stock (except my Bilstein 5160s :thumb: )

I'm also adding Stanadyne Purple to every tank. :nod:

I sleep good at night.

#10 ·
Do you know if they made any internal fuel tank adjustments on installation? If I am reding the instructions right it is a simple quick connect. On all the dodges I installed them on you had to drill holes in the pick up cup on the factory set up.

#7 ·
Your parinoid, I have almost 65k , never drained the water until last week when the light came on but was due to broken sensor, and there was no water in the fuel. and had my filters changed once At 30~k. No issues. I think the hpfp issues are few and far between and likely due too poor maintenance and/ or fuel quality.

#8 ·
I too was once super paranoid. But i have come to the same conculsion after reading hundreds and pages and doing research locally.

Sweet truck by the way Matty21.

Josh

#11 ·
The AirDog II does take the excess fuel that the lift pump doesn't need and sends it back to the tank. This "loop" is achieved with a "T" into the filler neck prior where it attaches to the fuel tank......at least that's how my shop did the install and they do lots of these AirDog units.

I realize this could be a problem with Ford if I have HPFP problems/failures. But I decided to be PROACTIVE and provide an extra layer of protection to this high pressure fuel pump. In the end...sounds like Ford is going to stick you with the bill if there is a failure :taze: so why not go the extra mile to hopefully prevent a failure in the first place.

Sounds like you guys think this "$1000 of insurance" was/is a waste of money. I'm OK with that.

#13 ·
Could be. I'm not sure

#14 ·
To those that have installed the AD II am I ready the instructions correctly that you DO NOT have to drop the fuel tank for the install on the 6.7?

#20 ·
NO NEED TO GO TO THE TOP OF THE TANK.
PURCHASE A 2ND "PRESSURE" LINE FROM AIRDOG AND DO THE FOLLOWING. (ABOUT $35)
UNLESS YOUR MADE OF RUBBER.....YOU HAVE TO DROP THE DRIVE SHAFT TO GET IN TO THE FITTING ON THE TOP OF THE TANK.

REMOVE SUPPLY LINE FROM TANK TO DFCM AT THE DFCM
CONNECT THE MALE END OF THE 2ND PRESSURE LINE YOU BOUGHT TO THE END OF THE OEM HOSE YOU JUST REMOVED.
CONNECT THE SUPPLIED SUCTION FITTING FROM AIRDOG TO THE AIRDOG (BRASS BARBED FITTING)
ROUTE THE PRESSURE HOSE AS DESIRED TO THE SUCTION FITTING AND CUT TO CORRECT LENGTH. (FEMALE END OF THIS 2ND PRESSURE HOSE IS NOT NEEDED)
CONNECT THE CUT END TO THE BARBED END OF THE SUCTION FITTING.
CONNECT 1ST PRESSURE HOSE TO THE ENGINE SIDE OF AIRDOG (MALE END OF HOSE)
CONNECT OTHER END TO THE TOP OF THE DFCM WHERE YOU REMOVED THE OEM HOSE. (FEMALE END)
CONNECT RETURN LINE AS PER AIRDOG INSTRUCTIONS.
CONNECT ELECTRICAL AND YOUR DONE.

NOW YOU CAN REMOVE AND ADD THE AIRDOG IN LESS THAN 5 MINUTES......3 BOLTS, 3 CLICKS OF HOSES AND YOUR DONE. (THE FORD KIT USED 3 BOLTS THAT SADWITCH TWO STEEL PLATES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FRAME RAIL. NO DRILLING! (THE BOLTS THEY SUPPLY ARE TO SHORT THOUGH AND YOU SHOULD GET 3PCS OF 4" LONG 3/8-16 BOLTS BEFORE YOU START INSTALLATION!)

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TRUCK.....REMOVE AIRDOG AND CALL SERVICE!

SERVICE DONE......PUT THE AIRDOG BACK ON IN 5 MINUTES.

THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CORRECT YET IS THE RETURN LINE.....THAT YOU HAVE TO SPLICE THE FUEL FILLER HOSE TO INSTALL...I AM STILL WORKING OUT A COUPLE IDEAS ON THAT ONE.

I DID INSTALL A RACOR MARINE GRADE WATER SEPERATOR JUST AFTER THE AIRDOG (DF-165) SYSTEM. I MADE UP A BRACKET THAT BOLTS RIGHT TO THE AIRDOG BRACKET SO IT HANGS RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT. ORDERED A COUPLE OF JIC FITTINGS AND HAD MY LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE MAKE UP A SHORT HOSE TO GO FROM THE ENGINE PORT OF THE AD TO THE INTAKE PORT OF THE WATER SEPERATOR, THEN MOVED THE JIFFY TITE FITTING FROM THE ENGINE PORT TO THE OUTLET OF THE RACOR UNIT. INSTALLED A FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR (DIGITAL) ON THE RACOR UNIT OUTLET SIDE.

NOW IF EITHER THE AD OR THE RACOR UNIT FAILS ORE GETS PLUGGED....I CAN SEE IT BY THE FUEL PRESSURE GAGE AND I CAN STOP THE TRUCK QUICK.

THIS WILL PREVENT ANY FUEL STARVATION OF THE OEM FUEL SYSTEM. THE AIR DOG COMES FACTORY SET TO 10PSI OUTPUT (ADJUSTABLE)

THERE IS ALSO A PORT ON THE RACOR UNIT TO ADD WATER SENSOR IF YOU WISH.....I AM THINKING OF DOING THIS BUT HAVE NOT MADE UP MY MIND. IT WOULD BE NICE BECAUE THE FUEL PRESSURE MIGHT STAY UP BUT WITH THE WATER SENSOR THERE YOU COULD GET A IN CAB INDICATOR OF WATER BEFORE IT EVER GETS TO THE DFCM.

HERE ARE A COUPLE PICKS OF IT ON THE BENCH.

I AM WAITING FOR MY FUEL SENSOR TO ARRIVE TO INSTALL IT. I DRY FITTED EVERYTHING AND IT FITS GREAT. I ALSO USE PM22A FROM FORD.

Attachments

#16 ·
If this is the case would it be " somewhat" easy to return back to factory? In the event I did have catastrophic hpfp failure?

#18 ·
Man doesn't anybody drive there truck past warranty???

I myself have become paraniod about these failures but three dealerships I talk to in the past couple months only one of them had a failure. That truck had 1800 miles so they think it was the HPFP from the factory not WATER in fuel. Funny thing the tech I was bs with also said that truck had rust in it's lines.

So in reality IF it is water I would/am throw the AD II on it. You aint gonna hurt it.

#19 ·
I can't believe you guys are dogging a guy for wanting to take better care of his truck sorry I don't have no input on your install but way to go for going the extra mile you sound like somebody I would want to buy a truck from

Sent from my Milestone PLUS using AutoGuide.com App

#24 ·
Thanks for your help looking forward to the install pics. The second pressure line is a great idea. Keeps you from having to get to top of the tank!!! Thanks again for all your help. I have placed my order and parts should be in by end of week. I will also post pic after install is complete.

#25 ·
Thanks for your help looking.......

Well,
First off I messed up in previous post....I am running the following configuration.

Racor Water Seperator - Air DogII - DFCM

Sorry about that. I originally wanted the racor unit after the airdog to have positive pressure pushin through it as it only has a 65gmh flow rating....but I messed up and ordered the wrong fittings for the wrong places from the auto supply store. So I just made do with what I had. (another reason I decided to go ahead and put the fuel pressure gage on.)

Here are some installed pics with descriptions on each picture. I can only post 5 so I will post the next ones on the next post line.

Attachments

#26 ·
Here are the last two.

they should be viewed as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

The AirDog pump does make some noise. fairly loud when truck is off, noticeable from outside the truck when truck is running but not bad....and you can not hear it from inside the truck.

Personally, I would like it a little quieter but it is not bothersome.....you just don't get to listen to that raw "lion" purrrrrrr from outside the truck while idleing and standing next to the truck.....you get an icky gear-pump sound mixed it.......Just takes away from the AWSOME sound, thats all.

Attachments

#27 ·
Ok after doing a little more research. I am thinking that I might have made a mistake. It seems as thought the AD II 100 is a fuel on demand pump. Meaning that only the amount of fuel that goes through the AD is just what the truck needs. With that being the case I am never going to make it to the 100gph (at least I hope not at $4.00/gal) flow rate that the DAHL 150 requires for optimum filtration. Does anyone know of a fuel/water separator that can filter at the rate of the fuel consumption of the 6.7 PS?

#28 ·
I think the original idea you had is not really necessary.

if you set up via a water seperator-airdog-then dfcm, you get all the same filtering.

the airdog df-165 can put out up to 165 gph flow, I believe that the way it works is that it puts full flow out to "engine" until the pressure relief valve opens and then bypasses the EXTRA back into the air/vent line back to tank. thus all fuel is being constantely re-filtered.

The Racor 500MA waterseperator/2micron filter unit has a 65gph flow rate. The truck is stated to have about a 60gph flow rate according to a military test.

as long as you utlilize a fuel pressure gage mounted on the airdog (it has a port for that)
and your racor unit is "before" the airdog......you are good to go!

as long as you are reading positive pressure on the gage, then you are supplying MORE fuel to the dfcm than it is sucking in! Once you see your pressure drop to just a couple of punds....you need to change the filters on the airdog and racor unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.