Prices on leftover 2011's? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prices on leftover 2011's?

So I've been half searching for my father a new truck. A good friend of ours bought a new 2012 CCSB F350 and it's got my dad to thinking it may be time for an upgrade. I've been shopping 2012 F350 CCLB DRW 4x4 Lariats. Now that the 2011's have been out for awhile, there's a glut of trucks available... Contrary to last May when my company was looking for new 2011's... Anyways. I've looked at Lariats and even a few King Ranch trucks. Brand spanking new, the best deals I have found on 2012's are between $11,200-12,500 off of MSRP.

Now.. With that being said. I've found a handful of leftover 2011 trucks that are close to fitting the bill. However, They are priced HIGHER than more than a dozen 2012's that I've priced! Every dealership I have spoken with so far say that the incentives aren't as good on the 2011's as they are on the 12's. Which is the biggest load of BS I've heard. You can't tell me they aren't wanting to unload a truck thats about 6 months past its 'expiration date' on the lot. One of the leftover 2011's I found was built in October of 2010! Why wouldn't you spend $2,000 less on a truck that's another year model newer?

So I suppose my question is: If I'm already seeing upwards of $11k off of 2012's, what should I be seeing on the leftover 2011's that are still on the lot?

I'm really hoping to find a decent deal for the old man, I'm trying desperately to get him back on the light side and out of his Dodge. Although I think he's having a hard time swallowing having a $60k truck that sits in the barn collecting dust. His current 2005 Dodge 3500 quad cab 4x4 Laramie has a staggering 45k miles on it. Nothing wrong with it at all, I just told him that it would be a cold day when he bought another Dodge. Everyone is allowed 1 mistake . Plus, after tax season this year, I think he's going to be looking for a decent deduction...

Let me know what you all would expect to see buying a new F350, or what you saw for those of you that have purchased them. I missed a huge opportunity from a local dealer who made a HUGE error in pricing. They had a 2012 Lariat Ultimate priced $16,180 below MSRP and faxed me a spec sheet with the price circled with an exclamation point behind it. We were debating making a trip the next day to write them a check for that bad boy and they called saying, "Umm.... We made an error on that price... and.... We REALLY cannot honor the price we quoted you...."

Rookie fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you take the msrp on my truck, subtract the rebates and the dealer subtraction, the total savings was in the neighborhood of $11,250. I got a decent trade in value on my 05 Ram 2500 as well. Your old man's truck should fetch around 24-25k on trade if its in great shape. You'll definitely get more through a private sale, but will leave the trade in tax credit off the table. Make sure you get the extra $1000 rebate for Ford financing, then refinance with another bank at a lower rate before making your first payment.

Rebates are a regional thing. Some are able to get great deals on 2012s, but I was unable to get within about $2000 of what I payed for my 2011. Concerning leftovers, if a dealer has the truck on the lot, you can usually make a better deal. If a dealer has to get the truck from another dealer, then holdback comes into play. Dealers are less likely to go below invoice on a truck they have to go get.

Good luck spending your Dad's money!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Guess I'd go with the 2012 if it's $2000 less than a left over 2011. Depreciation the minute you drive off the lot would be different also.

The only reason, that I can see, would be they have an incentives program for the 2012's and not for the 2011's. Guess if it was my money...I'd go with the best deal possible..which sounds like a new 2012.

Good Luck,

Wayne
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM

By the way, I was not including the $1000 XLT discount on the sticker. To me, that's just a factory price adjustment. The invoice price was roughly 4500 below msrp with destination charges.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

It's amazing to me. I've probably spoken with a dozen dealers about a dozen different trucks and each one has a different sob story about how I'm trying to undercut them and how they're losing money selling at the prices they've quoted. One word I've gotten sick and tired of hearing is 'invoice'. Invoice on every truck has been different, and not by a small margin. It's ridiculous. Hell to be blunt, I've been priced a 2012 King Ranch for $49,380. That's $12k and some change off the MSRP. And everyone else is *****ing and fetching trying to match $50k or less on a Lariat! He doesn't really want a King Ranch, his Laramie Dodge is 'too fancy' for his taste. But it's the truck my folks travel in and my mother would like to see leather seats while on the road. I don't see how a person couldn't get a dulled down Lariat that sticker at $58-59k for around $46-48k out the door. But nobody has been able to do that.

Including Ford financing and an additional $500 off for being AQHA members.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Well I've quickly come to a different perspective on this situation. After running numbers for the past two weeks and beating my head on the desk trying to come up with a logical way to get into a new truck, I'm afraid I've got to do the most economical thing and look at the Dodges. After some quick research, the price difference in the 2011-2012 Fords and the 2012 Dodges is astronomical. Don't get me wrong-- and don't shoot me here! I'm a Ford guy. I've always had Ford trucks and one Ford built car. I honestly believe they are the best built vehicles on the road. I'm absolutely in love with these new Super Duties. They ride great, they drive great, they've got alot of power that is well refined, the interiors are great, etc, etc.

However, for what my father does with the truck he has now, and after running the numbers, it's going to be hard to compete with a 2012 Dodge. I've basically got it down to this:

A) 2012 F350 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4x4 (likely not an FX4, because there seems to be fewer of these available), Lariat. BASIC Lariat. No nav. No moonroof. No remote start. Just leather seats and painted door handles. For around $49,500-50,500.

B) 2012 Dodge 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4x4, Laramie Longhorn. Fully loaded. Heated and cooled seats in the front, heated back seats, navigation, Alpine sound, factory spray in bed liner, Alcoa wheels, moonroof. For around $49,500-50,500.

Now. I'm not disparaging Ford in this particular instance. I feel like if a person is buying a truck to work from and get beat on every day, you're far better off buying a Ford. Then again, people who buy trucks to work from aren't generally looking at trucks with $60k+ MSRP's. In my dad's case, I think he's going to benefit the most from a new Dodge, as bad as it pains me to type that... I think the Dodges have come leaps and bounds from what they were when he bought his 2005 brand new. His Dodge has never given any problems. It gets great fuel mileage and rides like a tank empty down the highway (further amplified by the rock hard, ill-designed seats).

Furthermore, I think if he went back to another Dodge, he's likely to be able to get a more fair trade in value on the one he's got now. None of the Ford dealers I've spoken trade with have wanted anything to do with his Dodge on a trade. I got the best trade offer from a dealer in Texas who only saw pictures I emailed of the truck sitting in the barn covered in dirt and bird crap. His words were, and no offense to any Texans on here, "These guys down here in Texas go ape **** over those 5.9's with low miles like that. Especially one with leather seats!" I know they wouldn't have this thing on the lot for more than a week and someone would snatch it up. They're gonna change the oil and run it through the wash and turn $6-8k on it pretty easily.

I suppose I'll keep up the search, but for now, there's several open tabs in my browser with Laramie Longhorn Editions in them....
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 AM

The only help I can provide you with is I noticed you mentioned your Dads previous Dodge got good fuel mileage that will drop quite a bit going from a 5.9 to the current 6.7 cummins I believe my previous truck was a 5.9 and I averaged around 20 MPG but the couple of 6.7s I test drove only averaged around 13 on the other hand my new ford is averaging consistently in the 18s with highs around 20 highway only good luck however it turns out for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus1983 View Post
The only help I can provide you with is I noticed you mentioned your Dads previous Dodge got good fuel mileage that will drop quite a bit going from a 5.9 to the current 6.7 cummins I believe my previous truck was a 5.9 and I averaged around 20 MPG but the couple of 6.7s I test drove only averaged around 13 on the other hand my new ford is averaging consistently in the 18s with highs around 20 highway only good luck however it turns out for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
I know you're right. I'm afraid the fuel economy of the Dodges has dropped drastically. The bad thing is, what this truck gets used for the fuel economy won't matter much anyways. If it leaves the ranch, it's hooked onto a trailer doing a job. I would trouble anyone to find a 1 ton truck that pulls a 14k trailer and gets more than 8-10 mpg. When he does drive his 2005 empty, no lie, that thing will get 22-23 mpg on the highway... If you can stand to sit behind the wheel without any weight on the back. We'll see. The Dodge dealerships are working on prices for new 2012 Longhorns. There's a possibility that they will be able to tweak the order on one that's expected to run down the assembly line in the next couple of weeks so he can order one EXACTLY how he wants. None of the Ford dealers wanted to speak of ordering a truck.... They want to sell what they've already got in stock.

One thing I found interesting about the new Dodges is they offer what they call, 'Dual Transmission Coolers'. Thought that was an interesting offering.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.thed View Post
I know you're right. I'm afraid the fuel economy of the Dodges has dropped drastically. The bad thing is, what this truck gets used for the fuel economy won't matter much anyways. If it leaves the ranch, it's hooked onto a trailer doing a job. I would trouble anyone to find a 1 ton truck that pulls a 14k trailer and gets more than 8-10 mpg. When he does drive his 2005 empty, no lie, that thing will get 22-23 mpg on the highway... If you can stand to sit behind the wheel without any weight on the back. We'll see. The Dodge dealerships are working on prices for new 2012 Longhorns. There's a possibility that they will be able to tweak the order on one that's expected to run down the assembly line in the next couple of weeks so he can order one EXACTLY how he wants. None of the Ford dealers wanted to speak of ordering a truck.... They want to sell what they've already got in stock.

One thing I found interesting about the new Dodges is they offer what they call, 'Dual Transmission Coolers'. Thought that was an interesting offering.
They probably have dual coolers to keep the under-engineered POS from exploding under stress. That is until one of the coolers back feeds coolant into the trans and wipes it out. Look at GM and Ford. Both put solid transmissions behind solid motors. Dodge puts the 68RFE behind a Cummins. Take Cummins out of the equation and you have a Mexican-built POS.

FWIW, the mileage on the newer trucks improves with deletes. Something to consider.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Sh!t!!! Of course I make the comment about Rams being made in Mexico before I find out that our beloved new 6.7 is built there too! Karma blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.